Hardware (Theory) 3ds dual-nand hardmod

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
the layers are a problem? i mean that's just having an bricked 3ds, remove the parts on it... and you can just use multi-sim (or crocodile or something simular to fastly make a wire scheme) and a resistor meter (don't know the english word for it but here it's called a Multi-meter). don't see a real problem except for the time it takes.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the layers are a problem? i mean that's just having an bricked 3ds, remove the parts on it... and you can just use multi-sim (or crocodile or something simular to fastly make a wire scheme) and a resistor meter (don't know the english word for it but here it's called a Multi-meter). don't see a real problem except for the time it takes.

I was finding the traces with a multimeter on the board I removed the chip on. There must be a trace on a layer 2-7 that you cannot cut. I would still find continuity with the 3.3v on the battery pin.

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried a similar setup, but could not find all the Vss leads for the NAND. I gave up figuring it is an 8 layer board and a magnifying glass would help that.

gamesquest1 brought an idea to me about swappable NANDs by writing NAND backups to micro SD cards and wiring up a micro SD slot. Since GQ didn't have a test board I tried with a dead board from someone I knew whom had a USB NAND mod and wanted to see what would happen if he connected to PC with USB cable instead of adapter. The test failed. I figured maybe it was sending signals to other dat lines, CLK, and CMD. I then removed the chip all together (oh, the epoxy). Still no go. OK maybe USB fried more than NAND? I then tried to cut a couple traces to NAND that looked like they powered it. Nope it still booted. That's when I figured I didn't have the means to find the traces on an 8 layer board.

Also they do have some 3DS cap cards that use ribbon cable soldered directly to the board like some PS3 devices.

So if I understand this correctly someone had a dead board with a USB to eMMC mod an then hooked this directly to the computer with no controller in between? Then you removed the eMMC and cute a couple traces to the NAND and it still booted just fine? I thought this was a dead board ?? So the system boots with cut traces and a no eMMC? or are we talking about more then one board here?

And i am going out on a limb here but hooking directly to USB is a bad idea as that would cause 5V to be present on the lines, if the eMMC is direct hooked up the the ARM processor or even level shifted downwards I would be worried about the inputs not being 5v tolerant.

andre104623

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a clue. But I would like it to be between 15 and 25 dollars with shipping but really I have to see how much it would cost. Price goes down as quantity goes up but I need to get started on a prototype because everything I have now is crud drawings I made for reference

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a clue. But I would like it to be between 15 and 25 dollars with shipping but really I have to see how much it would cost. Price goes down as quantity goes up but I need to get started on a prototype because everything I have now is crud drawings I made for reference

If you make a working first prototype I recommend a kickstarter to show your work and have people or modshops "pre-order" first waves of the board. but then things would turn into a business venture :P

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
there's almost always a 3.3v on the nand chip in mulliple places, that just could be there's more than one vcc. i repair old micro controllers for temerature control. so i have my share in electronics, just not consoles/handhelds. it's far more compact in design.

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's almost always a 3.3v on the nand chip in mulliple places, that just could be there's more than one vcc. i repair old micro controllers for temerature control. so i have my share in electronics, just not consoles/handhelds. it's far more compact in design.
According to the datasheet for some of the ones you can find on the eMMC there are a lot of points that share the same 3.3v bus/rail/line.

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm do we need to cut Vcc from the eMMC chip why not just cut the CMD and DAT lines and reroute those instead? Though it would be nice to cut the power rail to the chip and make sure the chip doesn't become a parasitic load.

Erm just to clarify we are talking about Vcc here and not Vss here right?

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I understand this correctly someone had a dead board with a USB to eMMC mod an then hooked this directly to the computer with no controller in between? Then you removed the eMMC and cute a couple traces to the NAND and it still booted just fine? I thought this was a dead board ?? So the system boots with cut traces and a no eMMC? or are we talking about more then one board here?

And i am going out on a limb here but hooking directly to USB is a bad idea as that would cause 5V to be present on the lines, if the eMMC is direct hooked up the the ARM processor or even level shifted downwards I would be worried about the inputs not being 5v tolerant.

Let me clarify, I used a working 3DS XL after the failed attempt on the broken 3DS. ans yes it was Vcc

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
just to clarify some of the story for hunds, basicly someone had plugged a nand modded 3DS into a standard USB port and now it was "dead" i.e always blue screen and nand wasnt detected by the computer when plugged into the SD reader, so i had said to hunds that i had seen some people swapping out bricked emmc chips in mobile phones for SD cards and it worked out, so it might be an interesting project with nothing really to loose as the board was already shot, this was all just based on the assumption that it was only the nand that had been damaged, but ofc it may very well of damaged other components when it was plugged into the computer, and the idea could potentially work if done to a working motherboard, even hooking up a mSD slot for on the fly switching between nands......basicly it was just an idea to play about with as the board was already effectivly bricked, but funnily enough the error code was different when he had the SD hooked up, so then we decided maybe the old nand being left in was causing issues with it reading properly so he removed it and hooked the mDS up, still no luck

the idea may still work, but it was just a small project seeing as there was a dead board at hand, as i said it may just be that it was more than just the nand damaged by the 5v being put through it

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just to clarify some of the story for hunds, basicly someone had plugged a nand modded 3DS into a standard USB port and now it was "dead" ....

Thank you very much for this clarification and this is an interesting idea still that I may look at in the following weeks when I get some free time. Also this is particularity why I don't like the whole microUSB connector to SD :blink: but some people really like the way it looks.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thank you very much for this clarification and this is an interesting idea still that I may look at in the following weeks when I get some free time. Also this is particularity why I don't like the whole microUSB connector to SD :blink: but some people really like the way it looks.
oh yeah i dropped the micro/mini usb ports after the first few as it seemed like an accident waiting to happen, and that person wasnt the first person to make the mistake, it doesnt help that at least one reseller/modder is actually selling the usb->SD adapter as a separate optional purchase :huh:

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could try if cutting the ground would do, sometimes that's more easy and have the same result.
I'd kinda recommend against this actually. while no current will be flowing, a voltage will still be preset at VCC and the other pins, you may get some stray capacitance effects from the other lines and having no ground ref means that Vcc could float higher then the pins can handle, while not usually the case it could happen.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
you could try if cutting the ground would do, sometimes that's more easy and have the same result.
ground is connected all around the chip

but just to give someone inspiration if they have a "faulty" but working motherboard lying around (say something like ripped card slot pads where someone tried to replace it and messed it up or something, that still boot up, but is otherwise unusable) that they don't mind using as a guinea pig, here is the genral idea
dsc00002.jpg

that was done on a nokia n95 to replace the emmc, as you can see they had also removed the old chip....obviously there is a bit more room to play with in the 3DS though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."