Hardware Theories/Desires for future adapters, joy-cons, etc.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm honestly hoping either Nintendo or a third party company releases an adapter that will allow you to use the "docked" mode without the dock. Without knowledge of how the dock actually works we can be sure if this is even possible. As long as the dock itself doesn't contain any specialized hardware to convert the USB C connection to video out, it should be fairly simply to have a small dongle cable that connects to the Switch's USB C port and have both an HDMI output and USB C in for charging. That would make it much easier to always have the home console version available if you are somewhere that has a tv, without having to brick the entire dock with you.

As for joy-cons, I can definitely see Nintendo releasing different color flavors and possibly themed joy-cons. Kind similar to how they have the different versions of wiimotes.

Are there any other adapters or specialty joy-cons you think or hope nintendo will release?

Reactions: foob

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Extra battery attachment, that would maybe do the same things as the dock.
IMO the battery would probably happen, but adding the additional dock functionality might make it a bit bulky. But I have yet to even hold the system so all I can do is speculate. But that does sound like a good idea. Maybe even make it so you can plug the battery into power and it will charge both the backup and the switch

CrakrHakr666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really hoping for specialty Joycons for VC. Imagine having accurate controls for GC VC games by changing the layout of the right Joycon.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simply nyko will end up coming out with a battery pack that clips onto the back and have a build in usb-c.
They have done this for alot of thing.

As far as what your saying about the dock. Something will happen. But we have to find out a bit of information about the switch first. But its pretty much down to protocol it send out.

Joy-cons. I wouldnt wait on nintendo. There will be 3rd parts selling shells and buttons. You can hoop on ebay and get pretty much any part for any controller in any color.
I got a ps4 controller and added xbox one elite magnetic thumb sticks. And ive seen all different color shells.

Also decalgirl is working on skins for the Switch. They already do other systems and are just waiting on the Switch's launch
So just give that time.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simply nyko will end up coming out with a battery pack that clips onto the back and have a build in usb-c.
They have done this for alot of thing.
Hopefully it will have a flap to cover the screen.

Also decalgirl is working on skins for the Switch. They already do other systems and are just waiting on the Switch's launch
So just give that time.
Dbrand will also being doing skins.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
That would make it much easier to always have the home console version available if you are somewhere that has a tv, without having to brick the entire dock with you.
Agree. The only requirement would be that the Switch would probably still need to be standing vertically for airflow cooling reasons (and that sort of brings us back to the drawing board).

The dock they have now is quite ugly, in my opinion. Huge scope for shaking things up here in any future versions (diferent designs, ability to change covers, transparent covers with a slit underneath so you can slip in your own paper-printed designs, etc. Again, I think the current design is bland to the extreme. It doesn't look 'fun' but I guess this is Nintendo's way of going for 'young adults'.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agree. The only requirement would be that the Switch would probably still need to be standing vertically for airflow cooling reasons (and that sort of brings us back to the drawing board).

The dock they have now is quite ugly, in my opinion. Huge scope for shaking things up here in any future versions (diferent designs, ability to change covers, transparent covers with a slit underneath so you can slip in your own paper-printed designs, etc. Again, I think the current design is bland to the extreme. It doesn't look 'fun' but I guess this is Nintendo's way of going for 'young adults'.
Well not only that, but the dock is also stupidly expensive for what it actually is. There isn't really anything special in the dock. It's just plastic and small inexpensive (and very minimal) electronics to adapt from USB C on the console the USB, HDMI and power. That should not cost $90. I can maybe understand the cost of other accessories because they actually have higher-end tech (like the new HD rumble) but the dock has absolutely no reason to cost so much.

Reactions: foob

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something will happen.
In February. It's 100% guaranteed-maybe-definite...depending on who you ask. Good, bad, or something/nothing, depending on who you ask.

Cheap laughs aside, Nintendo will probably make a strictly-home Switch revision when 4k is where LCD is now. They'll probably make a few controllers that specifically work with one game. There will also be LE controllers you can't officially buy because those are going to be prizes for mynintendo members; brackets from 2000-10,000 coins for chances to win NES, GB, SNES, GC, and Wii-themed controllers. There may not be a way to remove the proprietary battery without voiding your warranty, so a clip-on battery pack is more than likely.

The real question is: will we be getting 'new' games - Mario Kart 9, Star Fox 0101, Sm4.5h6, Zelda: We Need A New Idea, Mario Party 11, etc, over confirmed Wii U beef-ups?

I would love to see them implement a way to turn the Wii U into an extra GPU for Switch or at least let older systems share something interesting, like 3DS being used as a controller in Wii U Smash. Probably just a fantasy, like getting that official Lime Green Wii Nintendo teased.

You will get a 2020 Special LE Mario and Sonic Tokyo Olympics Switch, available only in Japan while the rest of the world will get discounted costume DLC.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
...but the dock has absolutely no reason to cost so much.
Quite right. Chinese third-parties to the rescue (ebay, etc.). You could have 2 docks (or more) for different displays in the house. Probably with more appealing designs than Nintendo's, with any luck. And likely a lot less cost. Should be interesting to see what comes out.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After seeing the dev kit better, I think I really want the black Joy Cons instead of the grey.
Link
I honestly can see nintendo releasing many different colors and styles. I personally would like to eventually see a lime-green colored pair of joycon.
...There may not be a way to remove the proprietary battery without voiding your warranty, so a clip-on battery pack is more than likely.

The real question is: will we be getting 'new' games - Mario Kart 9, Star Fox 0101, Sm4.5h6, Zelda: We Need A New Idea, Mario Party 11, etc, over confirmed Wii U beef-ups?
It's been verified by nintendo that the battery won't be (easily) removed by the user, but if opening the console is not too hard it should be fairly simple to replace the battery if you know how to solder. The only thing is if third parties will make replacement batteries, or if there will be any replacements available online.
I would be very surprised if they didn't eventually release a new smash at some point. I just feel there isn't one announced yet because it's a bit too early from the previous one.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person