Hacking Theoretical question about GameCube ROMs and WADs.

stat1stick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been doing a lot of thinking and I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if it is even possible...

What if you took a Gamecube ROM (i.e. Luigi's Mansion, LOZ The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, etc...) and dumped/exported it to a WAD and installed it like any other WiiWare or Virtual Console title? I've seen custom Virtual Console channels made from N64 ROMs, so I know it may be possible.

Can such a thing be done with a GameCube ROM? Could you re-map the controls to work with a Wii Remote and Nunchuck? Could you make it so that it used the GameCube controller ports? What software would you need to pull this off? Has anyone else thought of this? Has it been done already?

I'm not sure if I posted this in the right area... Please feel free to move it if this doesn't belong here.

Thank you for your time.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not possible. There are custom Virtual Console channels made from N64 ROMs because the N64 Virtual Console games on the Wii Shop Channel are just N64 ROMs packaged with emulators. For some games, you can successfully replace the N64 ROM with one of your choosing. The same thing cannot be done with GameCube games.

stat1stick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not possible. There are custom Virtual Console channels made from N64 ROMs because the N64 Virtual Console games on the Wii Shop Channel are just N64 ROMs packaged with emulators. For some games, you can successfully replace the N64 ROM with one of your choosing. The same thing cannot be done with GameCube games.

So, what emulator does a game like Lost Winds play on? It's own emulator? Do they play on the same system as a Wii disc does?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what emulator does a game like Lost Winds play on? It's own emulator? Do they play on the same system as a Wii disc does?
A WiiWare game is not an emulated game. The program itself is a small Wii game. I am unfamiliar with the structure of a WiiWare game, but it's probably similar to that of a normal Wii game.

flamepanther

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're barely to the point of loading GC games from SD and USB. I doubt the developers that might even be able to pull it off have enough incentive to make GC games installable as channels.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, the nearest you can get from what you asked is this :
http://gbatemp.net/topic/324890-is-there-currently-any-dml-forwarders/page__view__findpost__p__4185111

and this:
http://gbatemp.net/topic/325003-dml-games-channels/

They are DML booters ...channels that boots up GC games using dml without the need of a loader

stat1stick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before asking something like this, READ UP ON THIS MATTER.
I did... That's why I asked. If I found the answer I was looking for, do you think I'd still keep looking for it just for the fun of it? No. I wouldn't. Thanks for letting me know how to use a forum, though. I just got these brand new internets yesterday!

Reactions: 3 people

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I did... That's why I asked. If I found the answer I was looking for, do you think I'd still keep looking for it just for the fun of it? No. I wouldn't. Thanks for letting me know how to use a forum, though. I just got these brand new internets yesterday!

okay....fair enough...

mvgc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Normally I give the benefit of the doubt, but if you REALLY read up on it, you'd know that VC are emulators with ROMs and that the ROMs can in some cases be replaced with new games (of the same console), and you'd know that WiiWare aren't. Admittedly, it's not "constantly thrown in your face" knowledge, but it's also not some sort of secret. I've learned it by casually browsing the forums a couple times a week, I never had any particular reason to go looking for it like you did.

Don't act all condescending and sarcastic when you apparently DON'T know how to use the internet.

stat1stick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Normally I give the benefit of the doubt, but if you REALLY read up on it, you'd know that VC are emulators with ROMs and that the ROMs can in some cases be replaced with new games (of the same console), and you'd know that WiiWare aren't. Admittedly, it's not "constantly thrown in your face" knowledge, but it's also not some sort of secret. I've learned it by casually browsing the forums a couple times a week, I never had any particular reason to go looking for it like you did.

Don't act all condescending and sarcastic when you apparently DON'T know how to use the internet.

Look, just because I didn't read the same web pages that you did, doesn't mean I didn't read up on what I was looking for. I think a couple of hours of Google searching and forum reading are definitely enough to determine if the answer you seek is available. And, until I came here, my original question had not been addressed (according to my research). And besides, the only one here who even came close to answering my question in a direct way was Coto. Simply stating that there is a size limit for Wii channels and that a GameCube ROM wouldn't fit is definitely enough to explain why it wouldn't work.

Furthermore, I do not ACT condescending and sarcastic... I AM condescending and sarcastic. So, thank you for your dose of forum etiquette. I hope to one day be as advanced as you by reading every wiki article known to man before I ask an innocent question.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
C'mon guys, OP is clearly not a n00b. You can see it for yourself.
Not everyone needs to be as documented as you Wii techies are ;)

Anyway let me help a bit:

GameCube games are ISOs not ROMs (I'm pointing this out only because somebody will eventually come to call you wrong on that, and I'm here to avoid that), ISOs are images made from optical media (CD/DVDs and stuff) and ROMs are instead made from Read Only Memories (Cartridges and stuff).

The most serious technical limit to what you're asking is that when running GC games, the Wii hardware (SD, Wii Controllers and internal memory) gets locked. Look out for Devolutiion (a new Wii homebrew which will come out soon), as it's a way to load GC games without disabling the Wii components, so remapping to Wii controllers will be possible (and I'm almost certain that it'll be supported to a certain extent).

As for installing them directly on your Wii, as Coto said it, they're way too big to fit. They might be installable to SD using Devolutiion (USB HDD support is a given), and that would be the nearest thing to what you seek.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the idea of this is not very bright to start with. the gamecube does not know there is a NAND memory on board the Wii. I'm sure crediar or some other programming genius could come up with an idea to implement this, but the usage would be impractical to say the least.

im late to the party but short answer. no. you will not be loading a gamecube ISO from WIi NAND.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think a couple of hours of Google searching and forum reading are definitely enough to determine if the answer you seek is available.

The answer is available, but you haven't done enough google searching and forum reading to understand the answer.

You wouldn't expect to google how to do a double heart bypass operation and figure that out in a couple of hours, unless you'd spent a long time in medical school first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night