TheFlow is teasing a possible exploit for the PlayStation 4, recommends users to stay on OFW 6.20

ps4.jpg

After cracking the PlayStation Vita wide open, and providing a litany of useful homebrew tools, it appears that TheFlow is looking to move onwards and upwards to the next Sony system: the PlayStation 4. As those in the PS4 scene are likely aware, there is a current webkit exploit for consoles on firmware 6.20, thanks to SpecterDev. According to a post made by TheFlow on Twitter, it appears that he has an exploit in the works for OFW 6.20 as well. Those interested in homebrew are being told to stay on that system version, with a vague comment of, "Also don't update past FW 6.20 if you want a kxploit". What makes this tease even more notable though, is the fact that it isn't just a webkit exploit--the term "kxploit" was specifically mentioned. While a webkit exploit is useful, a kernel exploit would allow modders to do more with a theoretical softmod, and would be the first possible kexploit available since OFW 5.05/5.07. There is very limited information as of just yet, but with a track record like TheFlow's, it'd be wise to stay on 6.20 if you're on it. As of December 2019, the latest PlayStation 4 system software version is 7.02.

UPDATE: Well, it appears he didn't actually have a vulnerability in mind when he made his first Tweet above, but after receiving a PlayStation 4 from a fellow hacker, TheFlow has confirmed he indeed does have a vulnerability for OFW 6.20.

:arrow: Source

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This is great, too bad I didn't decide to buy a PS4 due to most games I like being way more expensive that the Switch versions. But I really should move my PS3 to a more modern hack.

Dinomite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't update just yet, not until the exploit is actually released to public and homebrew is ported to it.

But updating would be as simple as finding the 6.20 PUP and installing it via USB, nothing tricky or hacky required since Sony officially supports manual updates via USB.
Thanks, that's good to know. I wasn't going to update yet anyway, but nice to see that Sony haven't changed and its still the same as the PS3 days. Yeah, I should've just read Sony's site. Thanks again.

D

Deleted User

I wouldn't update just yet, not until the exploit is actually released to public and homebrew is ported to it.

But updating would be as simple as finding the 6.20 PUP and installing it via USB, nothing tricky or hacky required since Sony officially supports manual updates via USB.

only thing I would add is if you are like me you probably installed update blocker. I remember in past migrations it being a pain sometimes. Sometimes I would run the remove update block payload but I could still not update. I don't think that is an issue anymore but to my knowledge it just adds a dummy folder you could always remove via ftp. I would also caution those with alot of fpkg already installed to backup their database as it may get checked during this process and well you may um fail it. But yeah way I remember doing it was run hen then run update. I hope that makes sense.

D

Deleted User

In truth 6.20 already had a k-exploit along with 5.55 before it, Flow is just willing to share it to the public unlike the other devs

not how I would describe it. 6.20 had a publicly released webkit or entry point. Some devs have claimed they have kexploit in private. Though this particular firmware was not specifically hinted to my knowledge. There is a nifty chart here: https://sce.party/ So reason I am being nitpicky here is it's not like flow isn't doing his own work. He would be finding his own for 6.20 specifically. It's more than him just sharing. Dude is legit doing the work from entry point which is pretty dang amazing and we should consider this.

Last edited by ,

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Could make an interesting emulation box. Not sure about Piracy as PS4 games are hella huge. I don't even pirate PC games because some sizes are ridiculous. Final Fantasy XV is notoriously bad.

Reactions: scroeffie1984

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Gotta be honest, I had a PS4 on 5.05 for almost 2 years and it just sat there gathering dust. No fun without being able to play the latest games, frankly.

I sold it, but recently bought a white PS4 slim. It came with 5.55 but the first thing I did was update it. Exploitable PS4 is no fun unless you have another machine to actually use.

D

Deleted User

Oh well no thanks. This fw is way too old.
I prefer playing persona 5 royal soon instead of sitting on a super old fw.
I had the 5.05 hack too but my ps4 just collected dust.
Soon the sdk will be good enough to make something useful.
So maybe a more recent hack will be released. I will start coding some homebrew then too. But not on an outdated fw. The homebrew will be used by none anyway if it can't be used...

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not how I would describe it. 6.20 had a publicly released webkit or entry point. Some devs have claimed they have kexploit in private. Though this particular firmware was not specifically hinted to my knowledge. There is a nifty chart here: https://sce.party/ So reason I am being nitpicky here is it's not like flow isn't doing his own work. He would be finding his own for 6.20 specifically. It's more than him just sharing. Dude is legit doing the work from entry point which is pretty dang amazing and we should consider this.
Nah its kool i just worded that wrong to make it seem like hes not doing his own work. Yeah Ive been following Flow ever since Henkaku was first establish before he turned it into a Coldboot. If anyone knows him they can have confidence over his word when he makes an announcement.

Last edited by MasterJ360,
Reactions: Darksabre72
D

Deleted User

i think some people can't see the forest for the trees. So many negative nancies. 10tb ago I remember putting my launch phat in a dresser drawer. Saddened that I must now resist the temptation to play newer games on it. This was after watching linux installed by a Chinese hacker years ago. For years I waited. Since then I have had many great gaming experiences. No not all of them involved piracy. I am happy I am able to back up my physically owned games digitally. If you ever had stuff stolen from you or dealt with drm requiring game to be online (but had no net) you would understand. Had lots of great vr experiences. Had some odd adventures in linux trying to get mugen working (still not quite there on the to do list is sound and full screen any linux gurus feel free to msg me if you can help). Met some really really cool people. Had a blast with mods for various games but the one that stood out was gta v. All in all I think people who knock this kind of thing don't really get gbatemp. I mean here we are all these years later and this is pretty much a go to site for modding and hacking. If you are one of the sheeple who just wants to play the latest murder simulator online day one it's just not what these modding scenes are about. It's about taking back control as owner of your console. Something I greatly enjoyed out of my og xbox (and unbelievably I am still doing cool new things with it! latest adventure was philips cdi emulation!) and psp. Due to the experiences I had with those game systems frankly I will never settle for a system I cannot do interesting things with ever again. I would rather wait and play something from my considerable backlog on the various things I own then sit and fret that I can't play so and so game that just came out. The things a modded console allows one to do FAR outweigh such a stance in the long run. Stuff like game mods or fan translations or emulation have given me such wonderful experiences that I will never follow that way. It is just not the way.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this seems nice
Too bad it came out way too late into the PS4's lifespan
if ps5 had a ps4 mode (similar to how the 3ds has a ds mode) then yeah maybe this could be useful, but i really doubt that

Emeraldu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Must play FF7 Remake and TLOU part 2
... games that I just have to play and finish and tho playing without paying is excellent (ehm Nintendo Switch), for me is not worth not updating.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte