TheFlow has discovered a major exploit called bd-jb for PS3, PS4, and PS5, can be used to load game backups burned to discs

photo_2022-06-10_13-34-33.jpg

One of the PlayStation scene's most notable figures, TheFlow (Andy Nguyen), is back at it again. He's discovered a major exploit that affects not just one PlayStation console, but three. A hackerone report by TheFlow sheds light on five vulnerabilities that range in effectiveness, allowing users to load payloads that can be used to exploit the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and even the PlayStation 5. The exploit is referred to as bd-jb, or the Blu-ray Disc Java Sandbox Escape, and was featured during a panel at this year's hardwear.io security conference.

Below are 5 vulnerabilities chained together that allows an attacker to gain JIT capabilities and execute arbitrary payloads. The provided payload triggers a buffer overflow that causes a kernel panic. Please consider each of the vulnerabilities individually. AFAIK, this is the first exploit chain that is being submitted to you :)

According to Nguyen's report, a UDF driver can cause an overflow on both the PS4 and the PS5. An exploit chain, aka bd-jb, can then be loaded as the payload as a burned Blu-ray disc. The hack, in summary, will allow users to burn physical discs of game backups, and then play them on their consoles. This affects PlayStation 4 consoles below OFW 9.50, and PlayStation 5 systems that are below OFW 5.0.

With these vulnerabilities, it is possible to ship pirated games on bluray discs. That is possible even without a kernel exploit as we have JIT capabilities.

TheFlow's panel that discusses the exploit in detail will be uploaded in "a few weeks". The full hackerone report and all of its technical details can be read about below.

Following the initial report, TheFlow made an update to his claims.

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, the ps5 is about four firmwares higher than 4.50, 5.00, 5.01, 5.02, and 5.10 iirc. and we're up to 9.60 on the ps4.

gbadl

Trophies
XP
Country

"I wanted to clarify: Without a kernel exploit, you won't be able to run any pirated games (which would have worked on the PS4 only anyways), because we don't have enough RAM in the bd-j process and there are some other constraints. It was only a theoretical impact."

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is probably making Sony sweat, but you know what's really stupid? Dedicated security researchers like the flow would probably not be spending so much time and effort trying to exploit these consoles if Sony just opened it up and let people run homebrew straight up.

Reactions: CTR640

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

"I wanted to clarify: Without a kernel exploit, you won't be able to run any pirated games (which would have worked on the PS4 only anyways), because we don't have enough RAM in the bd-j process and there are some other constraints. It was only a theoretical impact."

Everyone that kept a PS5 suddenly got sad

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is probably making Sony sweat, but you know what's really stupid? Dedicated security researchers like the flow would probably not be spending so much time and effort trying to exploit these consoles if Sony just opened it up and let people run homebrew straight up.
that's probably what they should do. lots of different apps on the series x. maybe they'll do that with the ps6, then no one will care about exploiting the console, and opening it up to piracy.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not I. I wasn't planning on doing it anyway if it were possible. I won't give up online play and use of the PSN store for pirated discs. I've also been planning to hook my PS5 up for the first time the day the new PS Plus tiers launch in the US.:)
sony sent me a message about that. I think it goes live on the same day as those covers get released, which is a week from today.

alt_Human

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you may be right. I just don't recall for sure, just that sony sent me a message. I'm sticking to the base tier for right now, since streaming is impossible with a data cap.

I only have the highest tier becasue I had 2 more years stacked and got in on the PS Now upgdade deal before they closed the loophole. I will have to see where everything stands in two years to see if I'll continue with Premium or not. I still have my modded PS3 so the PS3 streaming isn't a factor to me personally. Sucks you have a data cap. Aren't the PS1 and PS2 games downloadable?

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16