TheFlow has discovered a major exploit called bd-jb for PS3, PS4, and PS5, can be used to load game backups burned to discs

photo_2022-06-10_13-34-33.jpg

One of the PlayStation scene's most notable figures, TheFlow (Andy Nguyen), is back at it again. He's discovered a major exploit that affects not just one PlayStation console, but three. A hackerone report by TheFlow sheds light on five vulnerabilities that range in effectiveness, allowing users to load payloads that can be used to exploit the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and even the PlayStation 5. The exploit is referred to as bd-jb, or the Blu-ray Disc Java Sandbox Escape, and was featured during a panel at this year's hardwear.io security conference.

Below are 5 vulnerabilities chained together that allows an attacker to gain JIT capabilities and execute arbitrary payloads. The provided payload triggers a buffer overflow that causes a kernel panic. Please consider each of the vulnerabilities individually. AFAIK, this is the first exploit chain that is being submitted to you :)

According to Nguyen's report, a UDF driver can cause an overflow on both the PS4 and the PS5. An exploit chain, aka bd-jb, can then be loaded as the payload as a burned Blu-ray disc. The hack, in summary, will allow users to burn physical discs of game backups, and then play them on their consoles. This affects PlayStation 4 consoles below OFW 9.50, and PlayStation 5 systems that are below OFW 5.0.

With these vulnerabilities, it is possible to ship pirated games on bluray discs. That is possible even without a kernel exploit as we have JIT capabilities.

TheFlow's panel that discusses the exploit in detail will be uploaded in "a few weeks". The full hackerone report and all of its technical details can be read about below.

Following the initial report, TheFlow made an update to his claims.

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, the ps5 is about four firmwares higher than 4.50, 5.00, 5.01, 5.02, and 5.10 iirc. and we're up to 9.60 on the ps4.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is probably making Sony sweat, but you know what's really stupid? Dedicated security researchers like the flow would probably not be spending so much time and effort trying to exploit these consoles if Sony just opened it up and let people run homebrew straight up.

Reactions: CTR640

linuxares

I'm not a generous god!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is probably making Sony sweat, but you know what's really stupid? Dedicated security researchers like the flow would probably not be spending so much time and effort trying to exploit these consoles if Sony just opened it up and let people run homebrew straight up.
that's probably what they should do. lots of different apps on the series x. maybe they'll do that with the ps6, then no one will care about exploiting the console, and opening it up to piracy.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not I. I wasn't planning on doing it anyway if it were possible. I won't give up online play and use of the PSN store for pirated discs. I've also been planning to hook my PS5 up for the first time the day the new PS Plus tiers launch in the US.:)
sony sent me a message about that. I think it goes live on the same day as those covers get released, which is a week from today.

alt_Human

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you may be right. I just don't recall for sure, just that sony sent me a message. I'm sticking to the base tier for right now, since streaming is impossible with a data cap.

I only have the highest tier becasue I had 2 more years stacked and got in on the PS Now upgdade deal before they closed the loophole. I will have to see where everything stands in two years to see if I'll continue with Premium or not. I still have my modded PS3 so the PS3 streaming isn't a factor to me personally. Sucks you have a data cap. Aren't the PS1 and PS2 games downloadable?

Reactions: godreborn
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName:
    It's weird people in their mid 50s-20s seems to like social media more than TikTok and YouTube
    Gift
    Unless they get paid to upload videos
    Gift
  • Dark_Phoras @ Dark_Phoras:
    I used TikTok a couple of days and got tired
    Gift
    But it's still better than Facebook
    Gift
    One dude here swore I was trolling him on twitch and I never even used it
    Gift
    But that's a thing with social media; it creates an illusion of proximity, when in truth everyone is overwhelmed with all the information and all the social demands in the platforms
    Gift
    And a lot of people are addicted to the phone, checking social media or talking with someone. Some exercise in the gym while being glued to the phone, not even activity takes them away from it
    Gift
    And I was like that too, until I left social media. Now sometimes I'm grabbing my phone, opening the browser and thinking: I've seen everything I wanted to see, I don't have a reason to use the phone. And I put it down
    Gift
    I'd rather look at my phone than sit at a computer 24/7
    Gift
    Funnily when I'm out I hardly use my phone other than checking a message here and there
    Gift
    I'm mostly too busy making sure my neighbor doesn't get himself arrested
    Gift
    This evening two guys were speeding head first into my car in these:
    bolt-announces-a-custom-built-scooter-model-2-1024x536.jpg
    Gift
    I didn't make case, I made my manoeuver to park the car. But I caught them off-guard, the one ahead hit the brakes and had to jump from the scooter. For a second I thought he would go against the car. They were trying to race through a gap they perceived, thinking I was going to always drive forward
    Gift
    I guess they learned a valuable lesson, don't assume that real roads are a playground
    Gift
    I had a woman walk in the middle of the intersection once I was debating on flooring it
    Gift
    In those cases I honk
    Gift
    I need to get my uncle to install a cow horn
    Gift
    Those scooters go 40km/h, and the kids were riding them with no helmets
    Gift
    And trying to make for the gap like they're Millennium Falcon
    Gift
    Annoying can't find any type c to usb adapters in my place at least they're like $3
    Gift
    Sweet found one installing emudeck
    Gift
    Lol stupid ips is blocking rom sites time for a vpn
    Gift
  • Gift
  • sley @ sley:
    hrth
    Gift