The Xbox Series X will have a 12 teraflops GPU, quick resume feature, and "smart delivery"

Xbox_ShortBullets_JPG.jpg

The one and only head of Xbox himself, Phil Spencer, has revealed a wealth of new information for Microsoft's next-generation console: the Xbox Series X. The console has been confirmed to have a 12 teraflops of graphical performance, which is stated to be twice the power of an Xbox One X, or alternatively, eight times more powerful than the Xbox One. Additionally, players will be able to quickly pick their games up from a "suspended state", without having to wait through load screens, thanks to a new Quick Resume feature.

Next Generation Custom Processor: Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures. Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance – twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One. Xbox Series X delivers a true generational leap in processing and graphics power with cutting edge techniques resulting in higher framerates, larger, more sophisticated game worlds, and an immersive experience unlike anything seen in console gaming.

The new Xbox also promises more stable performance in games, and higher framerates. The console will support up to 120fps, and by using HDMI 2.1 the Xbox will automatically switch your TV or monitor to the best settings for gaming, including auto low latency mode, and a variable refresh rate, which will change the screen's refresh rate to match your current game.

• Variable Rate Shading (VRS): Our patented form of VRS empowers developers to more efficiently utilize the full power of the Xbox Series X. Rather than spending GPU cycles uniformly to every single pixel on the screen, they can prioritize individual effects on specific game characters or important environmental objects. This technique results in more stable frame rates and higher resolution, with no impact on the final image quality.
  • Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing: You can expect more dynamic and realistic environments powered by hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing – a first for console gaming. This means true-to-life lighting, accurate reflections and realistic acoustics in real time as you explore the game world.
Immersion in an instant

The next console generation will be defined by more playing and less waiting. And when play begins, we know many gamers demand ultra-low latency to be as immersed and precise as possible. To this end, the team analyzed every step between player and game, from controller to console to display, and asked how we could make it faster.

• SSD Storage: With our next-generation SSD, nearly every aspect of playing games is improved. Game worlds are larger, more dynamic and load in a flash and fast travel is just that – fast.
  • Quick Resume: The new Quick Resume feature lets you continue multiple games from a suspended state almost instantly, returning you to where you were and what you were doing, without waiting through long loading screens.
  • Dynamic Latency Input (DLI): We’re optimizing latency in the player-to-console pipeline starting with our Xbox Wireless Controller, which leverages our high bandwidth, proprietary wireless communication protocol when connected to the console. With Dynamic Latency Input (DLI), a new feature which synchronizes input immediately with what is displayed, controls are even more precise and responsive.
  • HDMI 2.1 Innovation: We’ve partnered with the HDMI forum and TV manufacturers to enable the best gaming experience through features such as Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). ALLM allows Xbox One and Xbox Series X to automatically set the connected display to its lowest latency mode. VRR synchronizes the display’s refresh rate to the game’s frame rate, maintaining smooth visuals without tearing. Ensuring minimal lag and the most responsive gaming experience.
  • 120 fps Support: With support for up to 120 fps, Xbox Series X allows developers to exceed standard 60 fps output in favor of heightened realism or fast-paced action.

As previously confirmed, the Xbox Series X will have backwards compatibility for all currently supported original Xbox and Xbox 360 titles, along with the Xbox One library. Unique to the new Xbox will be "smart delivery", which means users can buy a game for the Xbox One, and if they have an Xbox Series X, they'll get the new version for no extra charge. This feature is on a per-game basis however, with only Cyberpunk 2077 and Halo Infinite announced as part of the smart delivery program.

The next generation of game compatibility

The benefits of the next console generation extend in every direction, bringing greater visual fidelity and improved loading speeds to your existing gaming legacy, in addition to new games. We’re continuing our commitment to compatibility with Xbox Series X and investing in technology that makes game ownership easier across generations.

• Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you.
  • Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.
  • Xbox Game Pass: In addition to games from across four generations of consoles, our leading game subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, will continue to have our first party games, like Halo Infinite, included at their launch. We look forward to millions of you experiencing the Xbox Game Pass portfolio and immersing yourselves in a deep library of high-quality games, playing those you love now and also discovering your next great adventure.
A generation with players at the center

Xbox Series X is our fastest, most powerful console ever, designed for a console generation that has you at its center. This means a high-fidelity gaming experience enclosed in a quiet and bold design, with the ability to discover thousands of games across four generations, all with more playing and less waiting.

Whether it’s empowering amazing creators at our 15 Xbox Game Studios, fueling game discovery with Xbox Game Pass, or expanding what and where you can play with Project xCloud, Team Xbox stands for frictionless pathways between players and the best experiences our remarkable art form has to offer. Xbox Series X represents that same commitment for players who want immediate immersion in games that also look and feel better than ever.

We can’t wait to share more details about the new Xbox with you in the coming months.

:arrow: Source

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You've obviously never had to deal with software patents before. They stifle innovation and foster monopolies. Consumers have less choice, have to pay more money, and technology companies/developers can't create new technologies because a patent is there holding them back. Once a company owns a patent over a technology, they have no incentive to improve it because they have no competitors.
i sincerely doubt Microsoft does that since they have been on the pro consumer market for a while now. Can you show me that i'm wrong that shows microsoft being anti consumer since phil spencer took over that negatively benefits gamers as a whole ?

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i sincerely doubt Microsoft does that since they have been on the pro consumer market for a while now. Can you show me that i'm wrong that shows microsoft being anti consumer since phil spencer took over that negatively benefits gamers as a whole ?

Lol what. Did you even read my comment, or are you replying to the wrong person?

Reactions: kumikochan

deSSy2724

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If MS just give us PC gamers compatibility with 8 - 16bit games (proper official support for dos, win 95/98) and other XP games (compatibility layer) or whatever, not to rely on 3D Wrappers, emulators, PCem etc. I would completely change my mind about them, upside down.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If MS just give us PC gamers compatibility with 8 - 16bit games (proper official support for dos, win 95/98) and other XP games (compatibility layer) or whatever, not to rely on 3D Wrappers, emulators, PCem etc. I would completely change my mind about them, upside down.

Reactions: YOUCANTSTOPME

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No interest but love it when they said almost 2x the power of xbox 1 x, 8x the power of the original xbox one.

Yea snd guess what, no fucker takes advantage nor have they pushed either to its limits.

We do not need a next gen console yet. Its another shut up and take my money thing again.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I bet it will be limited backward compatibility like the Kinect won't be supported. I'm not getting this one since I've been burned by the Xbox One X.

Ziko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly Nvidia is destroying PC gaming by their increased pricing on gpu's. PC gaming was taking over on the high end but high end pc gaming has become for most something they can't spend large amounts of money for so I do see Console gaming coming back if they maintain that 500 euro price range. Building a pc with what Microsof is offering now costs around 1500 Euro if you count an entire new built without using old parts and if they and Sony do decide to price it around 500 euro/ dollars we may see a shift happening again from PC gaming to Console gaming. It's all your fault Nvidia, with that price increase you've shot yourself in the foot once again. Heavy pc gamer myself but i can admit as a pc gamer thanks to nvidia it will start shifting back again to consoles. Yeah Nvidia has made tons of money with that price hike but future wise it will make them loose even more because of the shift back to console gaming. The reason Nvidia was making more bucks every single year was because PC gaming was becoming more popular by the day and now it will decrease again so in the end they'll loose more than what they earned by making that decision

I'm honestly glad that these fools got so greedy that most folks would rather buy a console than a expensive PC that needs to be upgraded every couple of years. I always said it was a money pit being a PC gamer and it's now even more true now than a year or so ago.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I bet it will be limited backward compatibility like the Kinect won't be supported. I'm not getting this one since I've been burned by the Xbox One X.

I worry about that the most as that's probably why people even care about this stupid looking system.

Reactions: Nobody_Important4u
D

Deleted User

What happened with the Xbox One X? It supports everything the OG Xbox One supports doesn't it?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
12 TFlops is pretty impressive. The only issue is that PS5 will likely be using the exact same hardware, so there's no compelling reason to stick with Microsoft and their terrible UI/lack of exclusives.

Also, next gen consoles are gonna come in between $500 and $600, so there's going to be some sticker shock.

D

Deleted User

12 TFlops is pretty impressive. The only issue is that PS5 will likely be using the exact same hardware, so there's no compelling reason to stick with Microsoft and their terrible UI/lack of exclusives.

Also, next gen consoles are gonna come in between $500 and $600, so there's going to be some sticker shock.
Lack of twatter friendly game sabotage and foreign dev unfriendly policies. At least not confirmed.
If I were Microsoft I'd move in on Sony's foot shooting.

Personally for me, I was turned away from Sony by their dicking around with an unauthorized charge till they received a court summons. Plus they don't have Halo.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Microsoft and their terrible UI/lack of exclusives.
I guess it is a matter of taste, but to be honest I prefer the Xbox UI by a wide margin.
I just consider the whole system/OS to just work better, the UI, browsing the store is just a better experience, media integration and media playback (from Audio CD to 4K-Blu Ray, going through mass/store and network media with Kodi)... I really think the UI/OS is just better.

Now, the lack of exclusives... well, not so much the lack of exclusive, but the lack of Japanese games hurts. And that's the reason I end up playing most of the time on the PS4. Nothing can be done about that... and also, the OS is not very stable, sometimes it makes me remember of Windows 98.

Reactions: Codemastershock

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Personally for me, I was turned away from Sony by their dicking around with an unauthorized charge till they received a court summons. Plus they don't have Halo.
Ah that sucks, I don't buy much from the PSN store so I can't say I've had any problems with it. And I own Halo MCC on Steam now so that's not really a factor.

I guess it is a matter of taste, but to be honest I prefer the Xbox UI by a wide margin.
It's just got too many ads and requires too many button presses to get to some basic functions. Microsoft could've had something really special if they had continued iterating on the 360's blades UI instead. As it is, XB1's UI feels to me like some unholy combination of Windows Vista and the worst parts of Android.

D

Deleted User

I'm not all too worried about exclusives, since MS themselves know they've got to work hard in that regard. No doubt their new studios have some nice things in the pipeline and hopefully Fable 4

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no it doesn't. all that matters is the gameplay.
in that case you shouldn't even be playing video games. Graphics are the video part of video games. take that away and the novelty of "video games" wears off since you could have as much fun playing soccer

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

We do not need a next gen console yet. Its another shut up and take my money thing again.
Yeah fuck off lol. xbox one and ps4 released in fucking 2013, tech has advanced like crazy since then. 7 years is a longass console span.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, if Microsoft could finally make headway into the Japanese market and provide an alternative to Sony, I would be so happy. Then we might see more uncensored versions of recent Japanese games. However, given Microsoft's three prior showings in Japan, I won't be holding my breath.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...