The Xbox Series X/S Memory card price leak at a very "affordable" price...

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x-series-s-1tb-expansion-card-costs-220-claims-leak

I mean, that's totally affordable for everyone, right? Especially during this year? $220 for a proprietary 1TB SSD? It's not like this would push the Xbox Series S price to about the price of the Xbox Series X if you want more than 500GB of internal storage?

For real tho, I have two things to say. First my reaction to the price is as follows:

Secondly, is anyone getting a sense of when comparing this situation to a certain Sony system? It, along with the PS4, was to form the following:

In case you're lost, it's very reminiscent of the memory card situation with the PS Vita, of which the PS4 was known as the PS Orbis in development, which, when the codename and the handheld's name were used together, formed the phrase translated to English: "The Circle of Life." (Btw, the animation in the OG was way better than the Lion King CGI remake)

IDK about you, but I think Sony so far has this console war in the bag for console players unless they do something stupid on the level of

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol now Series X/S DESERVES TO BE HACKED saddly i'm dreaming since xbone was never (pubicly) hacked tmk watch the outcry changge MS's tune real fast or hacking/piracy WILL happen

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

though i read you can store games on usb 3.0 hdd just not play thema minor trade off but a bit of a cheaper route PITA imo

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Memory cards!?! Really!???! I’ve got my saves saving to the xbox360. Thats 2 generations ago now. It seems the only really real reason to have a memory card, would be to sell another. fucking. thing. It’s 2020! Use the hard drive like you used too. Wait, what we actually need is a cloud service that we subscribe to just so we can save our games.

Last edited by slaphappygamer,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
A great man once said that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
As long as they still allow external drives, there's no issue. Just wasted money on Microsofts end.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
...what? Isn't it an NVME chip in an enclosure? Please let this be a sick joke.
Sort of, the flash controller is custom designed (like the one included internally), so of course it's gonna be more expensive to manufacture, they're not just taking some off the shelf parts and shoving it in an enclosure.

The price, if true, is still utter BS though. I'd hope the listing is just fake, not exactly compelling proof with some random screen cap anyone can fake.

Memory cards!?! Really!???! I’ve got my saves saving to the xbox360. Thats 2 generations ago now. It seems the only really real reason to have a memory card, would be to sell another. fucking. thing. It’s 2020! Use the hard drive like you used too. Wait, what we actually need is a cloud service that we subscribe to just so we can save our games.
It's not for saves, it's for storing more games. Normal external HDDs (and even SSDs) will not support Series X games installed, only Xbone/360/OG XBOX games can be played from there. Only way to get more storage is to use this memory card.

TangentingTangerines

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft did the same shit when the 360 first launched, you could only use their proprietary grey hard drives and 120 gigs cost $170. Thankfully later on they just started using normal SATA drives, and they updated the 360 so you could use USB storage.
I know PS5 will be able to use any brand's SSDs, but according to digital foundry, the speed required for the solid state drives is so high there's no hard drives on the market right now that are actually compatible. While I'm sure competition on PS5 will bring the hard drive price down, I wouldn't be surprised if you're looking at similar prices for a compatible solid State Drive for PS5 at launch.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
apparently no one bothers to read ro research any more.. it's not just a memory card for save games.. essentially yes it is an NVMe drive in an enclosure and so can store the games on it as well - so the idea is you take your card out of your xbox and go to a friend's place and plug in your card and the xbox there acts just like your xbox at home with the fast loading etc. if you don't want fast loading, then buy a cheap USB HDD and use that - though it might not allow you to do the account clone thingy to use other hardware as your own.

TL:DR for the millenials - it's not a must buy, you can use cheap USB storage for storage.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
apparently no one bothers to read ro research any more.. it's not just a memory card for save games.. essentially yes it is an NVMe drive in an enclosure and so can store the games on it as well - so the idea is you take your card out of your xbox and go to a friend's place and plug in your card and the xbox there acts just like your xbox at home with the fast loading etc. if you don't want fast loading, then buy a cheap USB HDD and use that - though it might not allow you to do the account clone thingy to use other hardware as your own.

TL:DR for the millenials - it's not a must buy, you can use cheap USB storage for storage.

Proprietary device required to play most of the games the console is necessary for serves the same function as a memory card. Like, sure, one could theoretically beat FF7 back in the day by leaving the PS1 on and coming back to it when they're able, but for most people, they either got a memory card or one of those knockoffs who's reliability was questionable at best.

The only thing the USB HDD can be used for is playing XB1/X360 and I'm assuming OG Xbox games and, as it turns out, storage for XSEX games that you may want to play later, but won't fit onto the internal storage, an inconvenience on top of an inconvenience.

IDK, as much as I think it's great that the consoles are embracing SSDs now, I personally think they should have waited for prices to come down within 6 years and then used them in the PS6 and the Xbox 69 for it to be truly practical. I never found load screens to be that big of a deal unless it's some POS game like Sonic '06 or Perfect Weapon on PS1.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

I never found load screens to be that big of a deal unless it's some POS game like Sonic '06 or Perfect Weapon on PS1.
there is another advantage besides loading screens, developers will duplicate assets to reduce load times because it reduces seek times on an hdd, there is no need for that on an ssd, as they lack seek times, thus allowing smaller game sizes

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is another advantage besides loading screens, developers will duplicate assets to reduce load times because it reduces seek times on an hdd, there is no need for that on an ssd, as they lack seek times, thus allowing smaller game sizes

How much smaller, for what it's worth? Because MK11 is already almost 10 times as large as MK9, which is a lot of storage space for a fighting game!

D

Deleted User

How much smaller, for what it's worth? Because MK11 is already almost 10 times as large as MK9, which is a lot of storage space for a fighting game!
well, seek times i cannot give you an answer to, but there is another thing that will reduce needed storage: the extra power, developers currently do not compress voices/music because of the performance hit of decompression, titanfall 2 has 35 gb of voices&music, that would be waaayyy less if it was stored compressed

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
yeah that's nice. btw you can use nearly any brand SSD in the ps5 not to mention m/2 cards
Except no, it won't. The NVMe will need to match or exceed the PS5's internal, which means PCIe 4.0 only, and even then it'll vary depending on performance of the drive. You can't just buy some cheapo $100 NVMe, shove it in, and go. It's also likely that Sony will only allow NVMe's that they've personally tested and whitelisted for the console, and some sources are claiming that Sony will partner with some SSD manufacturers and create a "optimized for PS5" NVMe as well, which will inevitably overpriced.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
sigh.. the SSD in the upcoming consoles is used for more than just fast load times - textures are loaded as they are needed from the SSD so less RAM is needed to be allocated for texture storage space. see the talk on sampler feedback streaming here:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction