The worst has happened...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by bruceleroy06, Jul 31, 2006.

Jul 31, 2006

The worst has happened... by bruceleroy06 at 10:36 AM (12,178 Views / 0 Likes) 79 replies

1. bruceleroy06
    OP

Member bruceleroy06 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    [​IMG]

Okay i was in the same boat as all of you with just the single crack, and just now i notice that due to the cracked hinged it caused stress on t he other side (near the power light) and caused more hairline cracks. These hairline cracks near the power light area made the plastic extremelly weak and yup you guessed it, cracked it even more. Right now if i open my DS the top screen takes the power light with it and bends the plastic. I am going to call nintendo and ship this off right away. They did annouce that repairs are free correct?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MajinGohan

Member MajinGohan GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Yeah, I think Nintendo will fix that problem for free.
    Sucks anyway [​IMG] .

3. bruceleroy06
    OP

United States
    anybody have the number to call?

4. kernelPANIC

Member kernelPANIC GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Now this is some serious mass production error (Unless you actively made the situation worse).
    Worst comes to worst you can always get Nintendo to fix it for 50 dollars, if you haven't already tried to exchange it where you bought it.
    When I got mine they wrote down the serial number of the DS Lite in case something similar happened, but this was at my local GAME store, don't know what Nintendo America will do in the US.

5. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    As long as you still have your DS's serial (it's on the back), and you got it withing the last 12 months (it came out a month or two ago...) it is still under warantee and nintend owill fix it for free. They'll even give you a UPS shipping label, so no shipping charge either! I've got the email sitting in my inbox...

6. geolyte

Newcomer geolyte Member

Germany
    that should haven been caused by that little crack on the hing???? cant believe.....

7. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    i agree... thats way to much for a single crack.. did you drop it or something?

8. zone97

Member zone97 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    here is an email reply I recieved.

9. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    bruceleroy06: did that more serious damage happen over time, or did it happen all at once? Good luck with getting Big N to replace it, hopefully they will be nice about it like they are with most things [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One good thing came of your woes though, seeing those pictures made me glad I didnt hawk my DS for a DS Lite.

To me it looks like the hinges are far too tight and the plastic of the DS Lite far too brittle in all the wrong places... and yes, that type of damage could actually happen if the hinge got misaligned due to the damage on the other side (causing the undamaged hinge to bind and weak plastic to give way when the lid is opened).

10. Adventures_of_Lo

Newcomer Adventures_of_Lo Advanced Member

Finland
    Now that's a serious problem. Are you sure one of your family members didn't drop it or something? I can't see how the hinge crack could cause that much damage.

Edit: Again, a white ds lite. I know that white systems are the majority, but I haven't seen any pictures about other color systems damaged.

11. xflash

Member xflash Local Ninja

Norway
    lol you're lite looks like it's about to fall apart thought this really seems common on the white lite but not on any other i mean mine dosn't have any cracks even thought mine is an almost half year old blue japan import lite

edited: yay post number 700

12. bruceleroy06
    OP

United States
    i have never dropped this or abused my DS lite. I treated this thing like a baby. And no this did not happened all at once. I had the crack on the hinge for about a month and ive been playing it everybody opening and closing it with care.

13. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    That couldn't ve been caused by the cracked hinge. The hinged part isnt even connected to that lol. Somebody dropped that without you knowing it. I'm sad to say that they might not fix that for free.

14. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    Of course it's connected to the cracked hinge. Once the hinge was cracked, the other plastic was under more stress. Because it is extremely weak, it broke apart with time. This is indeed a serious construction problem. Does it really not happen with other colors?

15. barakku

Newcomer barakku Advanced Member

Italy
    Who are you, The Incredible Hulk? [​IMG]
    Mine is broken a bit too, but I hope it will resist a bit more.

16. Bitbyte

Member Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    Lol, go learn some basic physics [​IMG]

17. id242

Member id242 GBAtemp Fan

United States

i've tried dropping mine before. it's really not that easy to do... as I always keep missing the floor whenever I do try.

since then, I have given-up trying to drop it and now keep it attached to my wrist via the enclosed wrist-band at all times.

18. bruceleroy06
    OP

United States
    i am super careful with my DS Lite, when im not playing its in a case at all times. I already called Nintendo and they said this might not be covered because its not the hair line fracture that they see but im sending it in anyways because i cant play it right now without breaking it any more then it is.

Nintendo is currently charging me nothing to send it in. Ill let you guys know more infor later

19. bruceleroy06
    OP

United States
    i have a feel it is due to the hinge being too stiff causing too much stress to the right side. Example closing t he DS lid when its at the locked position causes alot of stress.

i know im the first to get this so its still kinda new to everybody but i really think this is due to the initial crack. Ive also noticed that the initial crack seemed to have expanded more through out time, might be the cause.

20. Adventures_of_Lo

Newcomer Adventures_of_Lo Advanced Member

Finland
    Well if you're absolutely sure that no-one has dropped it then I guess it must be the crack. (or possibly wholly different factory defect) Anyway I did some googling to find out if there's any non-white DS lites out there which has the crack, and I didn't find a single one. What I did find, was a site which listed DS lites with the crack problem. There was like 70 DS listed there, and ALL of them were white. I think we can safely say that only white systems get the crack --> Don't buy it!