The Witcher 3's next-gen update delayed again, CDPR takes over development

60c724a052275a049d857d53957dc38e9347742f52372bb956d992b43efa8fb5_product_card_v2_mobile_slid.jpg

The troubled development of the upgraded Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt continues. Slated for a release sometime around Q2 of this year after having been delayed in 2021, CD Projekt Red announced that the port has been pushed back indefinitely. Thus far, Saber Interactive, the team behind the Nintendo Switch port of The Witcher 3, had been working on the project. With the news of the delay, however, CD Projekt Red is moving development to their in-house studio.

We have decided to have our in-house development team conduct the remaining work on the next-gen version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. We are currently evaluating the scope of work to be done and thus have to postpone Q2 release until further notice.

:arrow: Source

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Lol, postponing it to Q2 is brave when they don't even know how much work still has to be done.
edit: I misread it

Last edited by sley,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how big of an overhaul this next-gen update is supposed to be, but i guess at least they're taking their time with it..

Reactions: Costello

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is reminding me of when Metroid Prime 4 moved studios and they started from scratch

Hopefully there is actually meaningful work they can carry over and they don't have to scrap everything

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Disappointing. But good to know they aren't letting an inferior product come to market. I still haven't played this game, and was waiting for this to drop before I tried it out. Here's hoping it eventually comes out.

That's what everyone thought with Cyberpunk 2077 with "when it's done." Shareholders got tired of waiting and very obviously forced their hand to release it now and tie up (poorly) incompleted elements and cut content that wasn't worked on yet.

A companies word is only as good as the shareholders faith in them.

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Nice, now I have little to no faith it'll be any good or will release any time soon. CDPR has a lot of work on their plate what with still "fixing" CP2077 and making an expansion, taking over this, and starting work on the next Witcher game as well.

Might as well just announce they're cancelling it, would probably be a better outcome than whenever this ends up releasing.

Reactions: rantex92 and KiiWii

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They ought to focus on making Cyberpunk run near flawless on current and last gen consoles where possible because what they released was unacceptable. Anyone who wanted to play TW3 probably has already.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
They ought to focus on making Cyberpunk run near flawless on current and last gen consoles where possible because what they released was unacceptable. Anyone who wanted to play TW3 probably has already.
Like Osaka, I also was waiting to play this when it was made fit for the next-gen consoles. I was going to play it a year or so ago, but decided that I wanted to wait for the new version. I didn't want to invest time into it knowing that there is going to be a better version of it. Now I don't know!

Reactions: phiberoptix

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
A bad next-gen patch for TW3 would seriously damage what remains of CDPR's public image and they sure know that. Taking resources off of other projects to power this one sure is less problematic for them, even when still being a bad turn out.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Not sure how big of an overhaul this next-gen update is supposed to be, but i guess at least they're taking their time with it..
yeah, what’s up with that? why is it taking so long, are they doing anything more than a graphical update? thought they were just going to add 4K textures, improved models, shaders, maybe ray tracing why not, but I dont see why that is taking years

Reactions: CoolMe and KiiWii

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Plot twist: they were actually developing it with ps6/xbox whatever in mind to future-proof it, and it turns out the next-gen update runs like garbage on current (next) gen ;)

After what Saber accomplished with the Switch port it's a bit worrying to see... this happen to what's effectively a graphical update?

Reactions: Costello

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with that is if you ignore the issues that game has (I'm seriously not that arsed about a constant framerate and glitches - comes with being a Bethesda fan that one!) and just play the game for what it is, it's really ...a bit crap all round! They messed up with Cyberpunk on all fronts, bit off more than they could chew... basically the age old 'polish a turd' comment springs to mind there.. so yeah, I'll take a TW3 update over any Cyberpunk improvement anyday, let that one die..

Reactions: Marc_LFD

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Cyberpunk is in a weird situation. It sold well, but tanked the reputation of the studio, so they want to milk it by supporting it, but maybe not remind anyone too much of the dumpster fire that it's been. So, y'know, they want to support it without supporting it. Good luck with that.

As to making C2077 actually good... in order to even begin doing that they'd need to have a solid, singular vision for what this game is supposed to be (and to stick to it this time around), and to fundamentally redesign it. Sequel maybe, this one - not a chance. And it's not looking like CDPR is planning a sequel. I'm not seeing the markeing push behind the IP, and for a title this prominent that constitutes sweeping it under the rug, if that's even possible. Oh, hey, look! We're making another Witcher game! (keys jingling)

Like I said: weird.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This news actually makes more sense than Advance Wars delay situation, since the next-gen Witcher 3 project was given to Saber Interactive Russia. And because of the war going on, CDPR had to move the project to in-house.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's what everyone thought with Cyberpunk 2077 with "when it's done." Shareholders got tired of waiting and very obviously forced their hand to release it now and tie up (poorly) incompleted elements and cut content that wasn't worked on yet.

A companies word is only as good as the shareholders faith in them.
It is hilarious that you think that "shareholders" "forced their hand," as if that is even slightly possible. What shareholder? What threat(s) did they make? Who did they make them to? That is not how the real world works; you've played too many JRPGs. CDPR's management decided to ship alpha versions of CP2077. Don't let them off the hook by claiming that "shareholders got tired of waiting."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM