The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for Nintendo Switch locks in a release date for this October

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Where my feet lie on the ground
    There definitely is a sort of lock on, and the combat is miles better and different from Skyrim. You'll love it.

Upaluppa likes this.
  2. dude1

dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2006
    Canada
    im suprised they didnt port the whole trilogy.
    witcher 1 doesnt have real controller support so thats more difficult but i know many that skipped it because of that
    then with witcher 2 it was a 360 game and also great (albeit a little more dated)

not saying im not excited for witcher 3 i just think they could have also picked the low hanging fruit as well

3. Upaluppa

Upaluppa Wrote in ancient letters, my name is Reynardine

Aug 14, 2018
    Germany
    Negativland
    That's fantastic! Can't wait to finally play it. This fall is going to be a busy time with this huge game and so many other great games coming out.

Sometimes it's actually a bonus that I don't own a PS4/XBONE or modern gaming PC and get to experience Switch ports of games like this for the first time.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  4. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    I know my younger self would've loved the Switch more than I do now, as I wasn't able to afford more than one system and it usually was Nintendo. I always found myself wishing for big games to arrive on my handheld system. Your case looks similar haha.

Hope you enjoy it, if you have any technical questions of the combat and such when you play it, let me know, I'm going to replay it soon on PC. :)

Dartz150 and Upaluppa like this.
  5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    And Xenoblade from the Wii too, might as well have ALL the ports...

sarkwalvein likes this.
  6. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    If The Witcher 3 sells well, they probably will port over Witcher 2, and more of their IPs.

Also, honestly, it doesn't look that bad. I was expecting a lot worst, plus, games tend to look bad when blown up, but look pretty good on the tablet screen. This is coming from someone with a gaming PC.

Upaluppa likes this.
  7. Upaluppa

Upaluppa Wrote in ancient letters, my name is Reynardine

Aug 14, 2018
    Germany
    Negativland
    I'll start the game with as little input as possible and just enjoy the ride. That first time you play a game and it's a completely fresh experience can't be beat! It was the same with Breath of the Wild, nothing beats those memories of my first time playing that game.

I'd been out of the loop for a few years, I've been a Nintendo gamer from the SNES to the Gamecube era but skipped the Wii and Wii U. I also prefer handheld gaming to home consoles and wished for every game to come out on a portable. Switch rekindled my passion for gaming, and BOTW was absolutely the best thing I could possibly pick as my first title.^_^

Thank you! I'll get back to you if I get hopelessly stuck or something doesn't click with me. It's things like this that I love this forum for!:)

Last edited by Upaluppa, Aug 20, 2019
    Jiehfeng likes this.
  8. snobbysteven

snobbysteven Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2019
    United States
    Chicago
    Even with the not so amazing graphics this will be a must buy for me. I always got so side tracked trying to play it on PC and never finished it. With the switch I don't get side tracked as often since I usually play laying in bed so this will be perfect.

9. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    i really wish they would port the 1st 2 too

10. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Locked ? Not the free region ? @_@

11. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I would have loved the first 2 also but in this case I can see Witcher 3 + updates pushing the limits of how much can fit on a cartridge (which is only a 32 gb AFAIK). Witcher 2 on 360 was 2 Dual Layer DVDs.

12. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    The PC version is about 42gb (Complete Edition), so that's some compression there, even though textures are most likely lower quality. I hope the audio isn't compressed much, it sounds great on PC, like really good.

Upaluppa and EmulateLife like this.
  13. Humanity

Humanity GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2019
    Norway
    100%.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The sacrifices made to run this game on the Switch are very noticeable if you've already played the game in its original incarnation - the textures seem pastel, the shading is a bit off, the framerate is definitely affected and, judging by the original announcement, the resolution is halved. With that said, it *is* impressive that it even runs on the Switch at all, and the benefits will justify the cost for many players who want to play the game on a handheld. I'm getting some Doom vibes here, but we'll see how the performance looks like once the product is out.

15. Drban789

Drban789 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I cant wait. Never played Witcher at all. :)

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted