The Witcher 3 director resigns from CD Projekt after workplace bullying investigation

witcher-3.jpg

The latest news about CD Projekt Red isn't related to Cyberpunk 2077, for once. Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, director of The Witcher 3 and staff writer on the first two Witcher games, is no longer at the company as of today. This report comes from Bloomberg, where an email shows Tomaszkiewicz has informed CD Projekt of his resignation, following an investigation into workplace bullying. He was found innocent of any allegations, according to an internal report, though he is still departing the company. As stated in his email to CD Projekt, he is leaving because other coworkers are supposedly feeling "fear, stress, or discomfort" when having to work alongside him.

The company had been conducting a months-long investigation into accusations of mobbing, a Polish term for office bullying, against the game director Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, according to an email to CD Projekt staff reviewed by Bloomberg. In the message, Tomaszkiewicz wrote that a commission had been formed to look into these allegations and had found him not guilty.

Tomaszkiewicz has been with CD Projekt since 2004, having begun as a junior game tester, and eventually rose through the ranks to become director for the critically acclaimed and beloved The Witcher 3, and also working as secondary director and head of production on Cyberpunk 2077.

In the email to employees, Tomaszkiewicz said the decision was agreed upon with the company’s board. “I am going to continue working on myself,” he wrote. “Changing behavior is a long and arduous process, but I’m not giving up, and I hope to change.”

:arrow: Source

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Any time a gane is released in many platforms at the same time the gane quality suffers as it is even the PC and Stadia versions, said to be the best, have problems.

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
It's hard to know how to feel about these stories without having specific examples of their behavior. The popular definition of bullying has expanded to include what many would consider just being socially inept. Maybe he's a grade-A asshole, maybe he's just antisocial - who knows without further details.

My god I swear the takes I'm seeing in this thread are so dumb.
He was a director, he had POWER. It doesn't matter if he's socially inept or a straight up sociopath, it's still wrong and nothing changes that.
Y'all seriously believe a company known for crunching isn't toxic?

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
"Workplace bullying" cmon,,, lol.

Yes, it has a name, it is called 'moral' or 'psychological abuse' and it's the reason I quit my first job. It may not be the case, although, even if not by his hand, a company where crunch exists - and CD Projekt Red is notorious for it (in 2017 a bunch of people quitted for abusive crunch) - has almost certainly some kind of moral abuse.

>found to be innocent
>co-workers feel stress around him
>acknowledges flaws in his own letter

...? what is the truth lmao

I say either

a) the man built a reputation for himself. He may transmit a stern face even though he doesn't mean to and has problems communicating;

b) He was in fact abusive and they gave him the opportunity of leaving by his own feet, avoiding any kind of lawsuit or compensation at the exchange of him being able to keep his good name;

c) The company itself is abusive and made him a low-key scapegoat.

Last edited by pustal,
Reactions: jomaper

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
He's innocent yet the thin skinned workplace still forced him out.

The west workplaces are being filled with such PUSSIES nowadays.

From someone who has seen gang rapists being declared innocent in his country despite the overwhelming amount of proof agaisnt them, let me tell something to you and of those who think like you: A veredict from a court has the same value than the paper i wipe my ass with after taking a dump.

And i'm being generous.

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yes, it has a name, it is called 'moral' or 'psychological abuse' and it's the reason I quit my first job. It may not be the case, although, even if not by his hand, a company where crunch exists - and CD Projekt Red is notorious for it (in 2017 a bunch of people quitted for abusive crunch) - has almost certainly some kind of moral abuse.
If someone cant keep up with something the right thing to do is quit, yes, sometimes "crunching" to deliver a product happens. That's how it works. But if some co-worker is harrassing another, (i don't consider pressure to deliver something as harassment or abuse), then you shouldn't just quit, should take action.

Arko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Even if its true or not, its amazing how a false allegation of any type can ruin someone's career that easily

It's not even that, there's no sexual misconduct or anything. This is basically a childish zumzum idiot crying about a "meanie" boss.

"B. b. b. but how dare he gets angry at me for not adhering to deadlines uwwwaaaaaaa :((("

Basically entirety of the workplaces in every country.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
If someone cant keep up with something the right thing to do is quit, yes, sometimes "crunching" to deliver a product happens. That's how it works. But if some co-worker is harrassing another, (i don't consider pressure to deliver something as harassment or abuse), then you shouldn't just quit, should take action.

Crunching is bad planning. Is passing on to the team the result of bad management, that's why it "happens". And one thing is not to deliver things on a reasonable time, another is to put psychological pressure on someone to give up their personal time, sleep and health to have things done for you.

Also, question: take the extreme case of Amazon workers where they are basically pressured on not using toilets and have to urinate into bottles and defecate into boxes. You don't consider that abuse?

Last edited by pustal,

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Crunching is bad planning. Is passing on to the team the result of bad management, that's why it "happens". And one thing is not to deliver things on a reasonable time, another is to put psychological pressure on someone to give up their personal time, sleep and health to have things done for you.
Never said is good, but is one of the things that happens in a company's environment you should be prepared for.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Never said is good, but is one of the things that happens in a company's environment you should be prepared for.

Becoming normalized is not being right. Also, if so many people have quit I'd say either they were promised otherwise or it reached unexpected and unreasonable levels for them.

Last edited by pustal,

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Looks like someone was offered a deal and chose to resign instead of getting booted out. Typical corporate environment office politics.

Hearing what working at CDP Red is like I'm having serious trouble believing anyone who's "anyone" over there isn't a total zealot and a slave driver. They may give nice interviews and play the eastern underdog part well come E3, but I doubt working with them is a pleasure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: