The Witcher 2 is Currently FREE on Xbox 360!

Tw2_logo_newsheader.jpg

UPDATE: The Witcher 2 is now backwards compatible with Xbox One! That may be why it is free!
UPDATE 2: The game will be free until February 5th at Midnight.

We don't have any news on how long this will last, but as of January 21st, 2016 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is free on the Xbox 360 marketplace. This game often goes on sale on GOG and Steam, but rarely on Xbox 360, and never for free. Could this be an error? Could it soon become backwards compatible for Xbox One? Or could CD Projekt Red simply be acting awesome and use this to promote The Witcher 3?

Either way, snatch a download code for free on either on your 360 system or here.

After you do that, discuss in the comments below about what you think this could all be about. Enjoy!

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you people already have a credit card on file with them? Because I didn't and it definitely asked for one, then the game went through fine, and I promptly went into the settings and deleted the card from them.
Alright, I'll explain the whole thing for you and other people wondering about whether or not a credit card is needed to get the game.

"If you only have an Xbox 360."

If you went ahead and tried to get a download code from Xbox.com and you don't have a credit card on file with them, it will prompt you to 'Add a Credit Card' despite it being a free game. However, (and this is important) if you go on your Xbox 360 and searched for 'Witcher 2' on the dashboard, you can download the game without a credit card there no problem (no download code is given, you simply just get the game).

"If you only have an Xbox One."

If you have an Xbox One and don't have a Xbox 360, then the only way to get the game on your Xbox One is to give them your credit card on Xbox.com, take download code, and input it on your Xbox One. Delete the credit card on file if you wish.

"If you have an Xbox 360 and an Xbox One, but ultimately, you want the game on the Xbox One." Thanks to @chartube12 for this suggestion.

Go to the Xbox 360 dashboard, search for the 'Witcher 2', and download the game. After it is finished downloading, go to your Xbox One dashboard, search for the 'Witcher 2', and press 'install'. No credit card used throughout this entire process.

Note:
If you think you can go straight ahead to the Xbox One dashboard and download/install the game without first downloading it on your Xbox 360, you are mistaken. It will show the button 'Bundle Only" with no option to download/install. Only when you download it first on your Xbox 360, and then go back and search for it on your Xbox One will an 'install' button appear magically.

Another note:
Obviously, make sure that you are signing into the same gamer profile on your Xbox 360 and Xbox One as you are doing this. The whole purpose of downloading first on the Xbox 360 is to allow it to show on your profile, and enable downloading of the same game straight to the Xbox One. You can delete the game now on your Xbox 360 if you don't want it there.

Hope this helps people and it puts an end to any more credit card questions. :D

Last edited by HaloEffect17,
D

Deleted User

Found the controller - installing updates is a pain because I need more plugs so the XB-ONE isn't always in 3:

nightweb

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hope this helps, I tried this offer and kept getting offer not available in your area, I searched for it in the store and it popped up, I clicked in that way and it let me "buy" it, yay free games :-)

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

DaBlackDeath

.::[ lone wolf ]::.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've got this for almost all my accounts without any problem but Caymen Island.
Germany, New Zealand, United States and Japan are fine but Caymen Island show me an error: Store not available.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you went ahead and tried to get a download code from Xbox.com and you don't have a credit card on file with them, it will prompt you to 'Add a Credit Card' despite it being a free game. However, (and this is important) if you go on your Xbox 360 and searched for 'Witcher 2' on the dashboard, you can download the game without a credit card there no problem (no download code is given, you simply just get the game).

I did it on the computer, but it didn't give a download code, it just said it was ready to DL on 360 or something like that.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I did it on the computer, but it didn't give a download code, it just said it was ready to DL on 360 or something like that.
Hmmm. You should have got a download code, even the OP stressed this in his original post. Is it possible to just go the Xbox 360 dashboard, search for the game, and download it there?

ISO-Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doritos Crash Course is FREE and Xbox One compatible too. Doritos Harms Way is free but not sure if it is Xbox One Compatible. Just thought I add those old titles to the list :)

ISO-Man

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person