The Wire

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by wrettcaughn, Dec 26, 2012.

Dec 26, 2012

The Wire by wrettcaughn at 6:39 PM (350 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. wrettcaughn
    OP

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    For nearly ten years I had meant to watch HBO's The Wire. The show began it's run in 2002 and struggled to find viewership before finally ending in 2008. I'd heard good things but just never got around to it as there was no easy way to watch it.

Well, we talked out cable provider into free HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax for a year (with no contract!) and I set up HBO Go via my Xbox 360. Now all of a sudden we can watch every episode of every HBO show ever produced, so we started with The Wire. Over the past 3 weeks we've gotten through the first 3 seasons and it is, by far, the best drama I've ever seen. Great, authentic writing. Terrific actors, many of whom you'll likely recognize from things they've done since (Idris Elba and Lance Reddick most notably). A realistic setting...

If you have not watched this show, you must.

If you have watched this show, what are your thoughts? Try to keep it as spoiler-free as possible as there is a lot to spoil.

2. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I have every Season of "The Wire" on DVD, and rank it up there with Breaking Bad. It is more realistic than Breaking Bad, and just as entertaining. I wish the show still had new episodes/seasons! Policing and big time drug dealing done right! ;)

3. wrettcaughn
    OP

United States
    It's awesome that they have so many real life cops and (former) gangsters acting on the show. Really adds to the realism.

4. Flame

Member Flame Me > You

the show was great, got into late. i hope they make more in the future but very unlikely.

5. wrettcaughn
    OP

United States
    New drinking game. Take a drink every time someone says "Sheeeeeeeeeeeee-it" during the final 3 seasons.