The wild looking Tetris Effect locks in its release date for this fall

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 17, 2018.

Front-page
    TetrisEffect-ds1-670x360-constrain.

If you've been looking for some trippy Tetris action, then you won't have to wait much longer. Tetris Effect, the game based on the real-world "phenomenon" of playing too much Tetris, has locked in a release date. First shown prior to E3 2018 as a Sony exclusive game, it was revealed that the teams behind Rez Infinite and Lumines were behind this new title. There's more than 30 stages to complete in Tetris Effect, offering a "Tetris experience like you've never seen, heard, or felt before." It'll be launching on November 9th for PlayStation 4, and will have support for PSVR as well.

:arrow: Source: Twitter

Discussion (24 replies)
  1. switchbricker

switchbricker Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2018
    United States
    This game is LSD.

xalphax and antiNT like this.
  2. ShroomKing

ShroomKing Mr. Nice ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    in bed
    cool, that's on my bday

3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    But I already have Puyo Puyo Tetris. :P

oofio, lordelan and switchbricker like this.
  4. switchbricker

switchbricker Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2018
    United States
    That's true. This game doesn't have anime girls. Don't support.

5. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    It's not about "anime girls" Is just that it seem to offer more with two game styles and various ways to play them. I mean if i have tetris as part of a collaboration game that is perfectly playable already on one system, what's the incentive to play a new one? VR? The development studios legacy of well received games? Different theme, aesthetic, visuals, music?:unsure:

I wasn't saying it to be mean or disrespectful, but I find it hard to consider buying it without knowing the selling point or that part of the game being regarded as higher grade than combining 2 completely intact games into one game and adding new ways to play them on top of it with up to 4 players at once along with a low price point. :yayswitch:

6. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Can't wait for this, here's hoping it comes with a soundtrack.

switchbricker likes this.
  7. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    I like the music in the game, and how well it goes together. But the effects are..... questionable

8. EverThingy

EverThingy Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2017
    Netherlands
    I'm ready to trip out. (Can't wait on a pc port as well.)

9. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    icrievrytim.

PS4 exclusive :(

10. m_babble

m_babble Elder Phantom

Dec 12, 2004
    United States
    Looks amazing. Wish they'd release it for Switch.

11. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    I think the idea is that somehow if you play it long enough game, graphics and sound "merge together into one" and you get into the state of flow with beeing happy and very concentrated at the same time and it's somekind of "drug noise". Of course the game gets harder and harder and you loose. Now you want to get better to longer experince that flow. Idk, I think normal Tetris is fun, but I'm annoyed from looking at this game for 2 minutes already. So much uneeded effects and terrible music... If you don't like the aesthetics of the game, it's obviously not for you because at the end it's all about aesthetics and the try to addict you. Different games for different tastes I guess :)

12. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I mean tetris is still tetris, the core gameplay hasn't changed through out the 30 plus years it's been a game. I was just saying how I already have Puyo Puyo Tetris and the game plays tetris no different than any other, unless you play those added game modes.

So I guess you have a point, the only difference is the aesthetics. Guess not many appreciated the anime story and characters or songs that Sonic Team at sega has. Makes sense when you put it that way. Honestly I was only thinking personally trying to understand what the game offers more in terms of content than this one seems to with the selling point. Mostly how i decide if a game is worth the money to me cause I don't think people want to spend a lot of money for a game and then only find it has little to do for the player. Unless this game somehow has more reason to keep playing it over and over than another tetris game, I just was curious how other people think about another tetris game. Now if it had something like 8 players at the same time or something, now that's a new thing, lol :P

13. Dominator211

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    why just be on PS4? the switch could totally run that

14. switchbricker

switchbricker Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2018
    United States
    F0ny loves to pay out devs for hot exclusives

15. Absintu

Absintu GBAtemp Regular

Feb 2, 2018
    Portugal
    arrgghhhh... only 4 ps4 :( and i wanted to play this on switch with lsd

16. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2018
    United States
    Gah I was assuming this'll release on Switch.
    I have to get this damn PS4 one day.

17. Metoroid0

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    Nah...im just happy with regular tetris. The only game where less is more.
    Do you really need LSD effects and music just to enjoy tetris? I don't think so!

18. Absintu

Absintu GBAtemp Regular

Feb 2, 2018
    Portugal
    No, i don't need tetris to enjoy LSD trip, but a little experiment with this tetris could be interesting... or not... not gonna do this :)

19. jacksprat1990

jacksprat1990 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    You don't need it but if it's like Tetsuya's previous games, it's the experience that makes the game. The colours, effects and music usually go hand in hand in his games. Rez and Child of Eden are some of the most beautiful experiences I've had with video games and Lumines is obviously great. It's a different spin on Tetris.

Arras and Xzi like this.