Hacking The WiiKey problem seems rather simple to me

Phange

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like the WiiKey really wasn't all that compatible with Dual-Layer discs, and the argument that "it won't play legit copies" seems to confirm this. Not only that, as far as I can tell most people who have tested it have tried NTSC-J discs on NTSC-U systems. Now, the argument that the "WiiKey remains off when playing legit discs" would seem to be debunked right there, but remember that the WiiKey has to activate in order to boot games of different regions, and if the WiiKey doesn't support DL discs, then there you go.

Just a though. I'm sure it'll get fixed, and I certainly find irony in the fact that the only currently-dumped SSBB is one on a DVD-5 and only works on WiiKey/D2CKey.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It seems like the WiiKey really wasn't all that compatible with Dual-Layer discs, and the argument that "it won't play legit copies" seems to confirm this. Not only that, as far as I can tell most people who have tested it have tried NTSC-J discs on NTSC-U systems. Now, the argument that the "WiiKey remains off when playing legit discs" would seem to be debunked right there, but remember that the WiiKey has to activate in order to boot games of different regions, and if the WiiKey doesn't support DL discs, then there you go.

Just a though. I'm sure it'll get fixed, and I certainly find irony in the fact that the only currently-dumped SSBB is one on a DVD-5 and only works on WiiKey/D2CKey.

Here's my stance on it (posted in other topic):
Legit Brawl won't work with Wiikey because the Wiikey does NOT support WII DL DVDs. And Brawl is a WII DL DVD. And no, Nintendo did NOT create a uber protection, its just the wiikey who epic failes this time .. again. But hey, good that the wiikey team is working on that problem .. I hope so!
No, I don't believe it's that. Wiikey, as Nintendo knows well, it's the most worldwide diffused Wii Modchip. It takes over the 80% of the modchip market. So Nintendo EXCLUSIVELY blocked WiiKey, knowing it's its most dangerous enemy.

CycloWiz isn't ANY better. It's just that it's too less known for Nintendo to fear it.

And Wiikey supports DVD9 Wii games. Just try burning a SMG iso (or another game) and put it in your Wii. It will start without problems. Another user in this forum confirmed that.

So Wiikey supports DVD9 discs.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
THEN WHY DOESN'T THE F***ING ORGINAL DISCK WORK WITH JAP Wii + Wiikey?!?!
Because probably Wiikey doesn't shut off with originals
rofl2.gif

Or maybe Nintendo added some Wiikey-specific protection, who knows. But DVD9 is supported by Wiikey, so the the issue is probably another.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I remember people saying that the last Wiikey update had DVD9 support.. just when SSBB was announced as a DVD9 disc..
Maybe Nintendo really made a Wiikey specific protection.. who knows!?
Anyway.. we still don't know what will happen with a backup DVD.. and is good to remember that this is the J version.. the US version might even come with a different protection.. or no protection
tongue.gif

beano311

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well i really think Nintendo acturally tries to kill the WiiKey/D2CKey/D2Pro team becurse they have hurted te console SO much by being the first to hack the (un)hackable D2C.
I think that's total BS... There's nothing they could have done to target just WiiKey.
Also, if someone said WiiKey doesn't support DL, then a few post later, someone asks why the original doesn't work... put two and two together: if it doesn't support DL, and SSBB is Dual Layer, than why would it matter if it's an original or a backup, either way it's Dual Layer.
On top of that, it's been proven that WiiKey DOES support Dual Layer (thanks raulpica), only the WiiKey dumper doesn't. People are just getting confused (including myself) because others are posting false info as fact.
BTW, nice avatar raulpica
wink.gif

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
The Wiikey Team has already confirmed to WiiNewz that they are in the process of securing a copy of the game to correct any issues a.s.a.p.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And Wiikey supports DVD9 Wii games. Just try burning a SMG iso (or another game) and put it in your Wii. It will start without problems. Another user in this forum confirmed that.
Uh, what? SMG isn't a DVD9 game. I don't think any Wii games are so far.

No, it's not a DVD9 game, but Wiikey loads it without any problem as a normal game.

QUOTE(beano311 @ Jan 31 2008, 07:47 PM)On top of that, it's been proven that WiiKey DOES support Dual Layer (thanks raulpica), only the WiiKey dumper doesn't. People are just getting confused (including myself) because others are posting false info as fact.
BTW, nice avatar raulpicaÂ
wink.gif
Thanks
wink.gif

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, what? SMG isn't a DVD9 game. I don't think any Wii games are so far.
He's talking about the test that was done earlier, in which SMG was burnt on a DL disc. Even though it's not a DL game, it burnt on both layers, and still worked.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it's even simpler. My theory is that the current WiiKey logic only looks to see if the disc is single layer Wii format. Anything else and it drops into trying to play a backup. Since the SSBM disc is dual layer (supposedly) it doesn't see it as an original disc and tries to read it as a regular DVD which of course fails. If the WiiKey is powered off then the Wii would see it as a proper dual layer Wii disc and run it.

I think the WiiKey team will be able to make a quick fix for this. The dual layer support is there in the drive, it's just a matter of changing the WiiKey code to recognize original Wii dual layer discs, creating a dumper to put the drive in dual layer mode to extract it all, and of course code to recognize dual layer backups (which some people say is already there).

Just a theory of course!
grog.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it'd probably have to be reprogrammed to try to boot regular DVDs then since a Pioneer drive generally records a dual layer DVD+R as "dvd-rom".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1