Hardware The Wii U Station! (Or a crazy 3D print that keeps my Wii U and it's accessories neatly organized)

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So read the descriptions of the images in the imgur album, and I think you'll get the idea of what this is:

The TLDR of it is, that this is a 3D print I made that latches onto the Wii U like a parasite, and contains my Wii U, USB Hub, 2 Hard drives (one for vWii one for Wii U), Gamecube controller ports, GH Live controller connector, RB3 Keytar controller connector + 2 extra USB ports in the front of the device, as well as charging dock for the New 3DS XL to allow for it to stream to the Wii U while charging at the same time. It's set up to very easily and quickly allow for switching of the USB hard drives, and to allow you to turn on or off any USB devices as necessary. Very very happy with how the print came out. Will likely have to reprint the front bottom section though, since it came out kinda rough on the right side after the print tray got a little misaligned, but that's strictly just an aesthetic issue at this point.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is ill! Congratulations, you have there more creativity than any official product I have seen in quite a while!! You should sell this.

I've thought about the idea of selling it, the thing is this is a pretty specific setup. Like you'd need to have the same USB Hub I used (granted I could bundle that with the print if I were to sell it), and unless you have the 2 specific USB hard drives I have (different brands that are about the same height, but are slightly different lengths), I'd have to adjust the build per customer to make sure their specific hard drives properly fit firmly in place and expose their ports in the right spots. And I'm sure plenty of people don't have the 2-in-1 Rock Band wireless controller connector/usb hub.

Having said that, maybe I could start a little etsy store or something and have each customer send specific measurements for such things, and say if they want to include a spot for the Rock Band hub or whatever.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sick idea and really nice looking print! What machine and material did you use? I use 2 ender 3's and ive just got a Creality LD-002R resin printer. I love ABS but dont currently have an enclosure and all my machines are in the house so have to mainly use PLA.

Reactions: MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sick idea and really nice looking print! What machine and material did you use? I use 2 ender 3's and ive just got a Creality LD-002R resin printer. I love ABS but dont currently have an enclosure and all my machines are in the house so have to mainly use PLA.

I've got the Dremel 3D20. And I just used standard black PLA. It's not the highest end 3D printer, but I've gotten so much use out of it in the 3 or so years I've had it and I love it. I've made a lot of random Switch accessories as well, but this is probably my most complicated and satisfying print I've made so far. It is always satisfying to see something you imagined take a real form after you've 3D modeled and printed it yourself.

Reactions: andyhappypants

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like I should print another section that goes behind the 3DS charging dock that both covers and contains the 3DS charging cable, as well as doing something else for the Wii U. I'm not sure what this should be though. I kinda like the idea of making a part that can hold the GamePad's charging cradle and the GamePad. But I dunno, that still results with another cord coming off the device, and one that can't really connect to the Wii U itself and instead has to connect to an outlet. Plus I find it easier for the GamePad's charging dock to be next to where I sit on the couch when I typically play my Wii U. So even though this might look neat, I think this idea is kinda less practical to my setup.

Maybe I should make it a part that displays and holds 2 of my Wii U Pro controllers in a pleasing manner, while being able to be connected via their charging cables to the front 2 open ports. I think this makes more sense and since this will also be a detachable piece like the 3DS charging dock, if it doesn't end up looking good I can just not keep it connected. Oh shit, just thinking about this is getting me amped up. I love transforming this thing into like the ultimate gaming device.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet! Definitely tempted to print it.
I posted this a few places including Reddit, but I'm seeing here that I didn't include the 3D print files. If you are tempted to print this, you can nab the files here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4650679

There is an updated front piece in those files (as well as the old one) that should properly allow for all 4 GameCube ports to be Wavebird adapters in the event you have them, by swapping the sides that the Gamecube ports are open with the USB adapter side. I haven't yet personally printed the updated front piece, so I can't say for sure it works properly, but it should, I intend to find out for sure soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: