The Wii Hype and why its a waste of time

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Baztuk, Sep 5, 2007.

?

Agree or Disagree?

1. Agree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Disagree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Sep 5, 2007
  1. Baztuk
    OP

Newcomer Baztuk Advanced Member

Canada
    (*)BEFORE READING!!!(*)~ THIS IS NOT A COMPARISON. I AM SIMPLY STATING WHY THE PS3 COSTS WHAT IT DOES, WHY THE WII DOESN'T HAVE BETTER GAMES, AND WHY ALL THE DAMN HYPE SHOULD CALM A LITTLE BIT!

Why is it that everywhere we look, everyone says the Nintendo Wii is the ultimate console; wasting all the others. I'm going to attempt to cut the wii back in size and prove that not only does the ps3 not suck its actually better. hence the price.

I have a Nintendo wii. Its not good. I will name the top 5 wii games in my eyes and say why it would have been better elsewhere:

1- Twilight Princess
    2- Paper Mario
    3- Metroid Prime 3
    4- Resident Evil 4
    5- Mario Party 8

I really don't care if you agree with the order or if you think some other game deserves to be up here. Not the point. Pay attention. I will start with Twilight Princess. It was designed for the GAMECUBE; but came to the wii with tacked on controls. Paper Mario was also originally designed for GAMECUBE. Metroid Prime 3 was not designed for Gamecube, however it is stated in reviews that it is 'just another GAMECUBE prime game with worse controls'. Resident Evil 4 is pretty obvious. A simple port from the GAMECUBE version (Umbrella Chronicles are actually dumbing down the graphics from #4). Mario Party 8 was an okay game based around the wiimote. It was just another GAMECUBE Mario Party game with better controls but worse game play.

My friend and I have been talking about this for sometime. Wondering why everyone is hyping the wii so much. Have they even tried it. Or are they just covering up from a bad purchase? I personally would rather watch someone play ps3 than play my wii.

I hear all sorts of criticisms toward the PS3 on forums. Almost none to the wii. I hear things like:

-The controller makes the console awesome!!! Playstations sucks!
    The controller isn't that revolutionary. PS3's controller can do everything the wiis can except point.
    -Graphics don't matter. Gameplay makes the game.
    I would trade all four of my wii games for almost any ps3 game. The gameplay is awesome.
    -Wiis online is organized. In the future it will be awesome.
    Newsflash! The reason the PS3 has internet browser, demos, movies, trailers, game play add ons is because it is already taking responsibility for its claims. Nintendo makes all these claims about wii. None of which have been fulfilled. (ex. Wiiconnect24, you wont have to worry about updates, as you sleep it will automatically download as you rest. In reality, you have to confirm the update before it downloads. Kinda pointless for wiiconnect24. Wake up in the morning, "yes wii update! time to for it to download!")
    -Its so pricey!
    Don't sh*t yourselves. I'm Canadian. 280 for the wii, 512mb memory, no DVD, sh*tty games. 550 for ps3, all you get is hours and hours of free online, awesome demos to keep you busy for hours, 60gbs memory, graphics, and a BluRay DVD player which costs 200 dollars on its own. It is pricey. But its worth it. When the ps3 doesn't have 120x the memory wii has, they cancel the free stuff in the shop, and dis include the DVD player. Then i will admit the ps3 is overpriced.

This concludes my rant. Shud up about the wii, be open minded you Nintendo fan boys. I wasn't at first either. Took someone else to open my eyes now I'm passing the favor. Play one before you judge it. The ps3 is the future, the wii is the fad.

2. gage

gage Newbie

I agree that the Wii isn't all that great. However I find the PS3 to be worse. I haven't played a single game that I feel makes the PS3 a good purchase.

3. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    I stopped reading right there.

EDIT: i read the whole thing... I dont know where to start...

How many Wiimotes/nuunchucks do you have?

4. Baztuk
    OP

Canada
    Linkiboy> 2 of each

Gage> what games have you played? I have played the sigma demo, oblivion, resistance, rainbow six vegas, motorstorm.
    Its odd. I usually dont like shooters or racing games. All seemed like good purchases.

5. Linkiboy

United States
    And what good PS3 games are there again?

Motorstorm?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I think you're just another videophile. Ps3 games may seem "fun" because of the "o wow pretty" factor, until you realise its just "hey wtf its just cheap blur". I might as well say, its just a Ps2 with upgraded graphics in terms of games, since thats what you seem to keep rambling on about with the Wii.

Oh, and is there a modchip for PS3? No.

EDIT: Until you have played warioware with 4 people in the middle of the night, you have not played Wii

6. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    So far the Wii has 4 or so real nice suped up game cube ports with motion gimicks. That's more fun per dollar than you get from the competition*. Not everyone needs more than a suped up gamecube with motion gimicks. =P

I'm looking forward to the new Kirby game myself. That should be a great gamecube port with gimicks!

*Well the 360's pretty rad but lol RRoD.

7. Baztuk
    OP

Canada
    i have actually. Friends bday sleep over.
    That probably should have been on the list. But its short. Only game i actually found fun because unlike marioparty its fun is constant. your not waiting for minigames. I think there were five of us actually....

I dont care about modchips. Whats the wiis mod do. Let you play dvds? Oblivion has 200+ gameplay hours.

Ps. i dont see wii doing the cheap blur...

8. Bloodgod

Member Bloodgod 嵐の王

United States
    It's funny how my PS3 is gathering dust while my Wii gets the lime light. The only thing I can agree on this worthless rant is that the PS3 does have the potential to do great things. While games for it are really crappy at the moment it's only a matter of time till it gets "good" games. As of right now two exclusive games are worth the PS3s price... MGS4 and FFXIII.

oh and only an idiot would think that the PS3 is not over priced. This is coming from someone who has a good paying job. Meaning I could buy a ps3 every month if I choose to.

9. Baztuk
    OP

Canada
    You guys are posting too fast... Cant keep up lol.

Why not just play the gamecube ports on the gamecube. It feels better to me. My friend and i agree that the motion controls killed Twili princess.

Dont get me wrong the wii is alright. It just feels like it cant do anything itself. It relys on gamecube

Bloodgod> What the hell are you playing on ur wii? Only thing ive turned my wii on since i beat mario party is the internet channel!

10. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Got some good points Baztuk, also some things I disagree with.

The Wii has some ok games and the controls aren't nearly as good as I expected when it came out. If it weren't for Metroid, Mario and Smash Bros I think the Wii would be a waste of time.

I'm not really into saying certain consoles suck because they all have good games and different features. I think the xbox360 has the best games at the moment but the Wii will be up there after the christmas season. PS3 has some awesome features and quite a few fun games but I doubt I'll be interested in one until around this time next year.

They're all awesome consoles but I'll agree and say the Wii is over-hyped

11. imyourxpan

Member imyourxpan GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i totally agrew with linkiboy. wow it's sad to say that MP3 has worse controls, the controls are amazing. and graphics-wise, obviously it is not that much of a big deal anymore unless your are very ignorant of how the gameplay is. there must be a reason why the wii and ds are selling like crazy, maybe because the gameplay is pretty good? motorstorm is gorgeous, but it's just crap.

who cares if they are ports of gamecube games, they are good as hell. i think the best systems out there are the wii and the 360. the ps3 made fans with videophiles, that's all. the psp has really good graphics for a handheld, and honestly most of them suck lol. graphics mean nothing, and the wii internet ans such is an add-on. it takes time and they never said it would immediately be available.

you sir(or ma'am) are very ignorant and need to think about what you say beforehand.

12. Linkiboy

United States
    I noticed Resident Evil UC uses a lot of cheap blur techniques, and fanboys are all over it for its "graphics"

The Wii's mod lets you play games you dont own legally, like a modchip is supposed to. And sure, it also lets you play DVDs, but why would you want to?

And oblivion is a port. you can get it for PC for free, and it doesn't have high system requirements by any standard.

Anyway, my point to be made is that you bought the Wii to play generic shooter # 24 and generic RPG #734, you bought the wrong system.

13. Heran Bago

United States
    Yeah that's fine, I'd prefer TP without the sometimes unresponsive motion controlls are terrible crackling sound effects coming out of the controller.

But it's not like I have a choice with Super Raper Mario and the upcoming Kirby.

Also, the Wii Wario Ware and Mario Party were huge letdowns as far as both series go. Both were way too quickly produced, lacking in content compared to earlier entries in the series, and didn't make great use of the remote controlls at all as well as they could have.

I do have some hope for the Wii. I mean, for the first year of its life the DS pretty much only had ports and shitty gimicks or even minigames passed off as full games. Look at where the DS is now. =P Give devs some time to catch up.

14. imyourxpan

United States
    it's also the beginning of the wii so of course there are ports, why finish up a game for a system that is completely dead? might as well tweak it for a next-gen system. aw, over a sleepover? how old are you? sounds like 14-15. maybe even younger. it's annoying how the younger crowd needs to always have things better and they can't be happy with what they have.

(nvm, it doesn't matter how old you are lol)

15. akuchan

Member akuchan GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    well no one says its the ultimate console, everyone knows of the obvious crapper graphics and etc, but the thing is its cheap and its fun, people arent buying it as a next gen console but as a 'right now' thing, i have one myself and yeh its great fun. But the fact is i havent touched my wii for a good couple of months now, zelda was fun, mario party etc... but in terms of good games.. its pretty much the same as ps3 and 360, im dying to get a ps3 but i cant say its better, i just want it soo bad, in hardware perspective it is way underpriced but in terms of the cheap society its over priced, the only really good thing the wii is showing is its sale numbers, thats about it, most of the games arent that good but some people get biased by the fact that its the wii and its selling heaps. Most of us and the programmers arent all ready for the next gen consoles yet, but the wii is a right now thing so thats why its doing to great, in the future i dont know, i already havent touched mine for so long, but it does have good games coming out, the wii isnt a waste of time, but u just cant expect too much from it just because its selling more

16. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    idiot fanboy

17. Heran Bago

United States
    Sir I like playing Dreamcast, PSX, N64, SNES and Genesis games.

18. imyourxpan

United States

cheap society...wow that's sad...it's more like people who don't have the money to buy it. [​IMG]. i agree that you can't always know if the system is good by the sales, but after 9+months of being out, it's obviously doing something right. people were returning the ps3 back because it's crap. they are going to have to create a really good game to bring it back. also, games on the wii are getting better everytime. i'm sure it's the same case for the ps3(well maybe). it's so expensive to create a game for the ps3, and it might turn out crappy as hell. the wii is more simplified and they understand that gameplay is more important that having the best graphics of all time. the ps3 has a lot of work to do.

19. Prophet

Member Prophet Resident Black Militant

United States
    *Looks over at his PS3 and tries to recall the last time he turned it on... slowly begins to realize Baztuk is addicted to crack rocks."

The mass of words you've presented barely even qualifies for a response, but I'm in a generous mood so what the heck. To begin, you my friend are an ass. You can say what you want about the wii, perhaps it’s not your cup of tea; I'll permit you that. But the mistake you make is in trying to convince people that the PS3 is a worthwhile purchase. I have sitting in my home, the world’s most expensive paper weight -- that is all, nothing more. The games are shit. The few that aren't are either: not exclusive, Ports (Ninja Gaiden) or Low budget PSN games. Oh, and as far as the PS3 being the future? I can't call it. But if Sony’s track record is any indication of what’s to come, then us PS3 owners might see flying cars before we receive worthwhile games.

20. imyourxpan

United States
    you misunderstood what i was saying, why finish developing for the system that is dead, might as well go to the next big thing.
    i play my old systems all the time too