Hacking the weirdest thing happened

mo_j90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i was playing my ds as normal then i left it in the cupboard the next day i took it to play it and when i turned it on it said _ds_menu.dat was missing i was like
unsure.gif
wink2.gif
then when i put the micro sd into the pc everything was messed up, all my roms were deleted all my saved files, the system folder and the moonshell folder, luckily i always keep a back-up of all my roms and saved files but does anyone know why this happened? i was usin firmare 1.12. dont trust it anymore gonna use 1.11.

mo_j90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nah no-one i know would do that, must be some other reason. the night before it was working fine so im assuming its a software problem

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah that is weird...but probably due the micro-sd corrupting. (Temperature or magnetic influence could be responsible for example.
lecture.gif
)

I got 4 R4's in pretty much constant use and have never had corruption problems. (2x Kingston Jap 1GB, 1 Toshiba Jap 1GB and a sandisk ultra 2GB Micro-sd. )

What type micro SD are you using and when did you last format ? (What roms were you using before "crash" ? ) Homebrew could be another cause, but again unlikely.
wink2.gif

Anywayz, you did the right thing by keeping a backup !
grog.gif

mo_j90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
im using kingston jap 1GB, ive only formatted it once when i first got it. i dont think the micro-sd gt corrupted thru temperature or magnetic influence. should i contact r4ds and tell them about it or isit a rare incident?

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty rare, I'd wait and see if it happens again.

More likely it's a Micro SD problem. (Kingston have lifetime warranty so you are covered there.
grog.gif
)

R4
wub.gif
has a massive Chinese user base...if there was any problem I bet they have a few million Chinese users who would have told them about it by now. (Which is why they don't really bother with the western support side much. )

Keep using latest firmware and see if it happens again.
yaynds.gif

Hope you formated before you restored everything, and check for disk errors.

mo_j90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ye ive formatted and checked for errors but im not using the latest firmware at the moment im using the old realiable one 1.11, theyve released a new firmware bt im not going to upgrade just yet

striderx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that is weird...but probably due the micro-sd corrupting. (Temperature or magnetic influence could be responsible for example.Â
lecture.gif
  )

Uh, no... flash memory is immune to "magnetic influence"... at least within the realm of what a mere mortal on the street will encounter. Unless it was in your pocket while you were at the hospital getting an MRI or if your cupboard has synchrotron in it, then I wouldn't worry.

On the other hand, they can be very sensitive to static electricity. Don't rub it on you cat or scuff your feet on the carpet while holding it. But you said it was in a cupboard... I hope it wasn't sitting next to the Weetabix.
smile.gif

As for temperature. If you're comfortable then the flash memory is comfortable.

But... when you put it in the cupboard, was it turned on? I would strongly recommend against allowing your DS to shutdown due to low battery charge while the R4 is in place... either during play, sitting idle or in "sleep" mode.

The DS certainly has voltage regulation so it can operate through the discharge cycle of the battery. But when the battery drops to that hairy edge between normal and auto-shutoff it's possible that the circuits become unstable and could potentially corrupt the data on the SD card. Remember, the DS is not designed for use with flash memory so this would be outside the expected operating parameters. And the evidence is that the sleep state of the DS with the R4 in place drains power faster than with a commercial cart.

As for the firmware... I've used v. 1.10 through 1.13 and have never had any instability or data corruption across four R4's and three different DS's -- 1 phat and 2 lites.

But I do backup my saves all the time...

striderx

mo_j90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the ds had full battery life then i turned it off and put it in the cupboard and no-one touched it overnight then the next day for some reason it didnt work.

El-ahrairah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why I backup all my memory cards every week. Just in case. Although I've never had a problem with my cards randomly wiping like that, sometimes cheats will corrupt save files.

I hope you had backups.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I had the exact same problem once. My story:

I was on vacation. I was playing Star Fox Command with my brother over Download Play. I couldn't beat him, so I Soft Resetted. My DS froze. So I turned it off and back on. And... it couldn't find _DS_MENU.DAT! Mind you, this wasn't 1.12, it was the one before the first one with Download Play support.

I was able to find a PC to put the software on it again. When I did that it got corrupted so bad that no device would read it at all! I couldn't even format it on my PC
wacko.gif

When I got back home, I returned the faulty card (Sandisk 2 GB MicroSD) to the shop. They thought it had to do with magnets too. But I got a new one.

Three weeks later, the same thing happened!

When I tried to run SD Formatter 2.0 on it it worked. Since then (about 6 months ago now) the card has worked flawlessly in my M3 Simply and M3 Real.

My advice: format with SD Formatter 2.0
lecture.gif

Edit: btw, you can just use 1.12, it's not causing the problem. I thought that the Soft Reset caused the problem at that time, but that's probably stupid too.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Happened to me with JEnesisDS, it was nothing serious, just used a GetDataBack for FAT cards and got all my data back in a flash, from then on I backup my saves though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning