Nobody_Important4u

Barely real
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok this is kinda weird but you remember how dvd's used to have those fun menus?

There are actually games made for it, it was mostly fmv games, therotically you could Play it on any dvd player and it worked pretty okay from what i know.

But if you browsed vndb you might now that many visual novels were also realised like this, also since the game can't be saved it uses passwords, you probably thought that the last place that used passwords was gba but those are sometimes realised to this day, so here's a trivia for you.

Anyway there's a lot of stuff realised like this but only one company ever translated those, so there's only a few vn's in English like this.

So i downloaded one of these (they were in us so region lock and even if not i wouldn't care enough to pay for the cursed shipping)
Specifically it was hourglass of summer because it looked intresting but i found out that they are above the normal dvd size so i had to get DL DVD+R, i never burned one of these before tho, so at my first attempt i used imgburn (also i want to note that it was a ISO) and it went pretty okay until the end when it didin't wanted to finalize and was speaking something that i don't understand it said if i want to spin the drive or something like this but it just kept repeating, so i had to take it out and the backside looked weird and the pc was going ape shit when i tried to read it, so i throwed it out.

Also i wanted to say that i am doing it because it doesn't really work on normal pc dvd player and the way to Play it on pc is really complicated, so i want to Burn it and Play it on Another player.

So i did it again using the windows 10 tool this time and it finished normally, the backside looked more normal but when i tried playing it on the pc it was going ape shit again, so i tried playing it on PS2 but it did the same thing as with last disc (i assumed that it was that way because i fucked it last time) so it basically reads stuff for some time and then it proceeds to doing the same loud noise over and over again i tried to leave for some time but nothing changed and i was scared that the drive will get damaged so i was beggning to think that it got fucked again in some way, but this time i also tried putting it in the second pc (it's an old shitty Vista pc that we use for storing photos and other crap and sometimes for youtube) and it worked... It was still fucked because that's a pc but it isn't the disc fault, so i tried to put it in the normal pc again but it still didin't wanted to read.

And i got lost at that point, i only have one other player but the dvd drive is broken so it can only read cd's and VHS (the reason we keep it).

I have no idea why it doesn't Play on win 10 pc, the program said that it can Burn DL DVD and it did but unlike the other pc it doesn't say "DVD Multi" it Has M Disc written instead it's apparently just a archival type dvd and i don't think it does anything but i don't know.

I am not sure about PS2 there are games on Dual dvd and i nor my family aren't movie buffs but i am pretty sure that at least one of our movies might be on Dual DVD, i have a normal DVD burned and it works but it wasn't done by me and it's a bunch of YouTube videos, so is it because it does some anti-piracy protection or it just can't Play burned DL DVD'S in general?

The only other thing that i can think of is trying to Burn it on Vista pc but i don't want to waste discs.

So i want some kind of advice/explanation on this.

If you have questions i will try to answer them.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Only as Info:
The US Version for PC was released as an interactive DVD did not contain Sexual Content. icecream.gif

Nobody_Important4u

Barely real
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes, it is a DVD that you therotically Play on any player but if something does everything it does nothing in other words since the drives in computers are usually used for software and not movies it doesn't have all the codexs and shit by deafult

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Spin the drive?
It probably wanted to eject it and take the disc back in. That way it wipes are stored data the drive might have had and can be sure it is reading the disc. That reading the disc part is usually checking the disc matches the original ISO.
If your drive is a laptop drive or one of the slot drives it will not be able to eject it and take it back in without your help.

Anyway dual layer discs are some of the harder things to both burn and read. A drive you had at this point is likely to be quite old, and the PS2 read was never fond of burned dual layer discs.
Things to look for are dust on the disc itself (annoyingly common -- I had so many failed burns for my 360 because a spec or two of dust had appeared on the disc and blocked the laser during writing.
Would also explain why it messed up at a given point.

Similarly I should note that you can probably mount the iso on your PC and play off that instead.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Nobody_Important4u

Barely real
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Spin the drive?
It probably wanted to eject it and take the disc back in. That way it wipes are stored data the drive might have had and can be sure it is reading the disc. That reading the disc part is usually checking the disc matches the original ISO.
If your drive is a laptop drive or one of the slot drives it will not be able to eject it and take it back in without your help.

Anyway dual layer discs are some of the harder things to both burn and read. A drive you had at this point is likely to be quite old, and the PS2 read was never fond of burned dual layer discs.
Things to look for are dust on the disc itself (annoyingly common -- I had so many failed burns for my 360 because a spec or two of dust had appeared on the disc and blocked the laser during writing.
Would also explain why it messed up at a given point.

Similarly I should note that you can probably mount the iso on your PC and play off that instead.
The thing that perplexes me is that why it won't Play on the win 10 pc but it reads it on the other Vista pc.

Second thing is that i checked before and it did read dual layer game that i have officially (24: the game) so my laser didin't died or anything in my PS2.

It was a pretty normal pc drive to me, and it opened at the end and all, the dust theory is more likely.

The reason why i just don't mount it and Play it on pc is because it's a weird interactive dvd game and is screwed up when i just Play it on the pc player since the pc's are not made specifically for playing videos and i wanted to Play it on a PS2 because that's a dvd player so it could probably Play it properly, there's a way to Play it on pc but you have to take a bunch of steps and it would be just easier to Play on a PS2, it probably Has something to do with codexs.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes, the extremely difficult steps of playing DVDs with decent menu support on PC:
  1. Install Kodi (or other DVD player of your choice, VLC can be a bit weird with menus)
  2. Open the ISO file

This isn't the early 2000's anymore. DVDs aren't that hard to play.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Ok this is kinda weird but you remember how dvd's used to have those fun menus?

There are actually games made for it, it was mostly fmv games, therotically you could Play it on any dvd player and it worked pretty okay from what i know.

But if you browsed vndb you might now that many visual novels were also realised like this, also since the game can't be saved it uses passwords, you probably thought that the last place that used passwords was gba but those are sometimes realised to this day, so here's a trivia for you.

Anyway there's a lot of stuff realised like this but only one company ever translated those, so there's only a few vn's in English like this.

So i downloaded one of these (they were in us so region lock and even if not i wouldn't care enough to pay for the cursed shipping)
Specifically it was hourglass of summer because it looked intresting but i found out that they are above the normal dvd size so i had to get DL DVD+R, i never burned one of these before tho, so at my first attempt i used imgburn (also i want to note that it was a ISO) and it went pretty okay until the end when it didin't wanted to finalize and was speaking something that i don't understand it said if i want to spin the drive or something like this but it just kept repeating, so i had to take it out and the backside looked weird and the pc was going ape shit when i tried to read it, so i throwed it out.

Also i wanted to say that i am doing it because it doesn't really work on normal pc dvd player and the way to Play it on pc is really complicated, so i want to Burn it and Play it on Another player.

So i did it again using the windows 10 tool this time and it finished normally, the backside looked more normal but when i tried playing it on the pc it was going ape shit again, so i tried playing it on PS2 but it did the same thing as with last disc (i assumed that it was that way because i fucked it last time) so it basically reads stuff for some time and then it proceeds to doing the same loud noise over and over again i tried to leave for some time but nothing changed and i was scared that the drive will get damaged so i was beggning to think that it got fucked again in some way, but this time i also tried putting it in the second pc (it's an old shitty Vista pc that we use for storing photos and other crap and sometimes for youtube) and it worked... It was still fucked because that's a pc but it isn't the disc fault, so i tried to put it in the normal pc again but it still didin't wanted to read.

And i got lost at that point, i only have one other player but the dvd drive is broken so it can only read cd's and VHS (the reason we keep it).

I have no idea why it doesn't Play on win 10 pc, the program said that it can Burn DL DVD and it did but unlike the other pc it doesn't say "DVD Multi" it Has M Disc written instead it's apparently just a archival type dvd and i don't think it does anything but i don't know.

I am not sure about PS2 there are games on Dual dvd and i nor my family aren't movie buffs but i am pretty sure that at least one of our movies might be on Dual DVD, i have a normal DVD burned and it works but it wasn't done by me and it's a bunch of YouTube videos, so is it because it does some anti-piracy protection or it just can't Play burned DL DVD'S in general?

The only other thing that i can think of is trying to Burn it on Vista pc but i don't want to waste discs.

So i want some kind of advice/explanation on this.

If you have questions i will try to answer them.

ImgBurn gives me this Error Message:

Ohne Tizzzztel-2.jpg

Nero 12 will burns it at the Moment...I am curious.icecream.gif

Last edited by Alexander1970,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The thing that perplexes me is that why it won't Play on the win 10 pc but it reads it on the other Vista pc.

Second thing is that i checked before and it did read dual layer game that i have officially (24: the game) so my laser didin't died or anything in my PS2.

It was a pretty normal pc drive to me, and it opened at the end and all, the dust theory is more likely.

The reason why i just don't mount it and Play it on pc is because it's a weird interactive dvd game and is screwed up when i just Play it on the pc player since the pc's are not made specifically for playing videos and i wanted to Play it on a PS2 because that's a dvd player so it could probably Play it properly, there's a way to Play it on pc but you have to take a bunch of steps and it would be just easier to Play on a PS2, it probably Has something to do with codexs.

Writeable/burnable discs and pressed discs as not the same thing, dual layer even more so than others (other than some of the rewritable options they are probably the hardest to read). Lasers don't tend to be dead or alive as much as fail to read the harder ones (why you have things like the pot tweak fixes for various consoles -- you are literally giving the laser more power to overcome ageing).

PC video players are better than any hardware one if you get the right player. I don't know what we are suggesting these days (I used to go with http://www.cccp-project.net/ , which comes on https://ninite.com/ if you wanted but I see it has not been updated in a while, though neither have DVDs).

The message alexander1970 gave sounds like the rip was not a good one, or was done at file level and not sorted for burning back to discs. Reauthoring games/serious menu driven stuff can be more tricky than simple videos (don't know if a session with dvdshrink will do any good here) but could be worth looking at.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Sicklyboy I was reading your post on the lgbtq batman