The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct Release Date, Also Coming to Wii U

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    While Telltale's The Walking Dead: The Game has been gaining quite a bit of popularity, nabbing quite a few Game of the Year awards, Activision has been brewing up their own, more action-filled take on the franchise. After some footage hit the web to mixed reactions, Activision has announced that The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct will be coming March 29th, and also coming for the Wii U.

On the Wii U announcement, the second screen will be used for your backpack, letting you switch weapons on the fly and drop them with a flick. It'll be hitting the same date as the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and PC versions.

The game follows Daryl and Merle, two brothers from the comic and TV series, before either of them take place. The game is also in development by Terminal Reality, which made the BloodRayne franchise, the recent Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and Kinect Star Wars.

:arrow: Source

LightyKD likes this.
  2. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    I think I saw some trailer footage for this. My god the footage was bad.

Screen tearing, plastic hair... wow...

3. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    [​IMG]
    In the comics there is no word of Daryl/Merle. Only in the TV series

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Scarface was pretty good.
    Ghostbusters...well it was enjoyable in a lot of places but clearly the gap in development and then having to be rushed out hindered it.
    Star Wars Kinect, as ridiculous as the movies.

The developers can at least make it authentic but then this is Activision and it looks like another one of their farted out cash ins. A last minute Wii U version doesn't sound promising either.

The footage shown is meant to be beta and not but I can't see why they'e only just released beta footage with the game so near to release. So far it looks like a homemade mod for another game.

5. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    My god that looks like utter shit.

6. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    what do you do besides killing and surviving?
    one more thing, zombies don't run

7. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    In media made by different people, they can run. But yeah in this particular universe they can't move very fast. They just gang up on you if you aren't careful and you usually can only take one out at a time.

In Dawn of the Dead, if one of them sensed you, you were pretty much done without a weapon.

8. Lurker2

Banned Lurker2 Banned!

United States
    Those scenes were taken from IGN's interview. They are from the early alpha version and since this it should be taken a little less seriously, though it is quite possible this is yet another crappy Activison cash in.

9. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    Mixed feelings about this.
    Wish it would have been left alone really, the walking dead by telltale games was phenomenal.

10. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada

I call Bullshit, there's no reason why they can't run. Also when they run, it makes for better zombies... except for L4D2... it sucked in there.

11. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    I'd just like to point out that we've barely seen any footage outside of some "possible beta/alpha footage" and that's not very promising.

Looking back at a past Activision release that people thought could be promising but had very lackluster and scarce footage (Black Ops Declassified), I'd personally be quite skeptical.

And not to rain on the parades of Wii U owners but the last minute Wii U decision could also pull some additional development time away into porting it.

12. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    It might not be last minute though, they could have been working on it all along. Who knows.

13. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I know I've said it a million times, but it bears repeating: Tell Tale's game was beyond phenomenal. I'd say it handily surpasses the comic and show; it's the true fulfillment of the franchise.

So yeah, good luck topping that, Activision.

14. king_leo

Member king_leo Real Hero

Australia
    Zombies have a lack of brain/brain power, you require some brain power to push your muscles at a faster pace, especially leg muscles. they drag themselves forwards is all.

15. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Actually, neither character is in the comic, just the TV series. And with that in mind, I'm not expecting much from this game. Sounds like a cheap cash-in. I love the two characters, but a game with them as the two protagonists? Yeah...I don't think so.

16. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    But the fact that they didn't release newer, better, "non-alpha/beta" footage to reassure skeptics that the game isn't crap isn't exactly promising.

I've just found that, with like 3 months until release and really no official footage for the game, it feels like Activision knows their game looks poor and is keeping info at a minimum, trying to sell on name.

Same was done with Declassified.

17. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    Even with the trailer being fake or early build, this game is not appearing to be a good alternative confronted to TellTales work.. Bad odds for this one, for sure!