The Walking Dead Season 3 returns in January despite studio closure

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Dec 8, 2018.

Front-page
    vS9pRdG.

After developer Telltale Games went bankrupt earlier this year, the studio left one of its biggest series unfinished, with The Walking Dead: Season 3 only receiving two episodes. A few weeks later, Skybound Entertainment decided to step in and help get the series completed by taking on a handful of ex-Telltale employees. The third episode of The Final Season, "Broken Toys", has just been announced for a release next month on January 15, 2019 on all available platforms. This also means that the game, which had been removed from some digital storefronts, will make a return in the time leading up to the new episode's launch.

:arrow: Source

Owenge, AlanJohn, MartyDreamy and 4 others like this.
    Discussion (7 replies)
  1. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto Vigilante

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    Nice, hopefully, we get the others and we can see a satisfying conclusion to Clem's story.

2. Wrathcaster

Wrathcaster GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Great, everyone that already had the season pass or invested into the first 2 episodes can now sigh in relief lol.
    I'll wait until it's fully finished to finally see how the story ends

CallmeBerto likes this.
  3. altorn

altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    i don't know the whole story, but can they somehow rely on crowdfunding as well if budget is a problem?

4. MeteoXavier

MeteoXavier Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2018
    United States
    "Broken Toys" seems rather unusually apt for a title there. Almost meta.

5. wurstpistole

wurstpistole Proud TX supporter

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I bought the season before release and, naturally, am glad to learn that this will come to an end.
    I mean, come on. This is the final season. Two episodes in and the studio disintegrates, with only two episodes remaining to wrap the story up.
    This would have been a huge disappointment.
    I hope the quality can somewhat hold up, now that studios have changed, but at this point I'm just glad it's getting *some* kind of closure. Even if it only had been some compromise solution, like doing a non-interactive sequence of cutscenes to wrap the story up.

6. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Woof

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Great news! It's season 4 btw

7. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

GBAtemp Patron
    AlanJohn is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2011
    Ukraine
    Canada,New Jersey
    I think things like IP licensing might be an issue with crowdfunding projects. Budget shouldn't be an issue now that Skybound is taking care, they hold the TWD IP as well I think.

I'm glad to see at least some closure to this entire debacle, hopefully the devs will find themselves a stable income in the gaming industry.

Funny how a basically bankrupt studio is closed but by sheer will of the fans (and Skybound) they were able to end a series, meanwhile a flourishing company worth billions can't be bothered to finish their series for over 12 years (I'm looking at you, Valve).

altorn likes this.