Hardware The Vita is truly remarkable...

Muffins

Banned
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I finally got my hands on a copy of Persona 4: Dancing All Night. I've been playing it pretty much nonstop because it's just that good (although hard mode is crazy insane AND has ridiculous song completion requirements). As I was grabbing one of the free DLC costumes, it just struck me.

The Vita is really an amazing little system. Yes, I know the memory cards are proprietary and Sony's treated the system as nothing more than a PS4 accessory, but it's really an amazing device! I had found a pair of bluetooth headphones on clearance at Target and the system found them easily- crystal clear sound with no tangles, which is great for the bus. And the real, seamless online account system. Not to mention the PSP and PS1 compatibility. And the two real analog sticks...

The 3DS is lovely, don't get me wrong, but it feels like the more I use my Vita, the harder it is to go back to the 3DS. :(

It feels like such a shame that Sony has treated the Vita so badly. It's a wonderful piece of kit, it really is.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
* Sony have sold about 4 million Vita
* Nintendo have sold about 55 million 3DS

'Game over' as far as most developers are concerned.

* Sony has the best hardware and far more ergonomic design. Nintendo needs to learn about curves again. Long overdue.
* Sony is pricing memory like it's 1999; they deserve to be ignored. That might have worked for them in the past but not now.
* Sony could have designed an easily removable battery. 3DS makes it more accessible and far more easily replaceable (when the time comes)
* if Sony were truly backward compatible then Vita would have a UMD drive. Sony suffers 'cause of no physical compatibility
* both companies still price games too high
* Nintendo don't seem to understand what bundling a USB cable means
* Nintendo's low-res screens are an anomaly in today's mobile world

If I were working for Sony in Vita hardware or software, I'd be shaking my head at the sales performance of Vita. Oh well, Sony should be happy that the PS4 outsells the poorly-performing Wii U. Arguably they are winning the main war :-)

Judas18

Queen Kunty
Trophies
XP
Country
I love my Vita, I wanted it originally mostly for remote play but I find myself playing Vita games more. I recently got Gravity Rush and it's really addicting. I can't wait for the new Digimon game =D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The PSVita is an excellent, powerful portable platform that's terribly market and not taken advantage of. It was also released in a rather unfortunate time for portable gaming console - the rise of gaming-capable smartphones. The signs of this problem can be seen not just in the PSVita's sales figures, but also the 3DS'. It has all the makings of a fantastic console, but it's just not sufficiently supported by western developers. Fortunately there's no shortage of Japanese games and it still has a nice library of titles to play, however small. The lack of a region lock also works in its favour when it comes to collector's value. If you want a more elaborate opinion, check out BFWWIWA: PSVita. Mind you, the content is slightly outdated, but the sentiment remains the same.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/bfwwiwa-issue-2-sony-psvita.367674/

I need to write another one of those sometime, I miss writing articles like that. :)

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surely, its awesome system but I won't buy it because of poor games. No games interested me at all except Uncharted. So I am skipping it, that's why. I do not want to waste my money on it. Thanks to stupid 3rd party didn't supported it at all. I really like this system due to OLED and nice design, really. Sadly, not many games are good out there for me at least.

D

Deleted-355425

Surely, its awesome system but I won't buy it because of poor games. No games interested me at all except Uncharted. So I am skipping it, that's why. I do not want to waste my money on it. Thanks to stupid 3rd party didn't supported it at all. I really like this system due to OLED and nice design, really. Sadly, not many games are good out there for me at least.

I use mine just to play psp and ps1 roms :D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I tend to hear those kinds of opinions from people who just don't know what's on the PSVita in the first place. I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't find games like Soul Sacrifice, WipeOut 2048 or Gravity Rush enjoyable. Hell, even some of the ports on it are excellent - being able to play complete versions Mortal Kombat or Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 on-the-go is impressive in and out of itself. It's a shame that Sony sucked at marketing the system, otherwise it would've seen more quality AAA releases like that.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to hear those kinds of opinions from people who just don't know what's on the PSVita in the first place. I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't find games like Soul Sacrifice, WipeOut 2048 or Gravity Rush enjoyable. Hell, even some of the ports on it are excellent - being able to play complete versions Mortal Kombat or Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 on-the-go is impressive in and out of itself. It's a shame that Sony sucked at marketing the system, otherwise it would've seen more quality AAA releases like that.

I understand your point of view but sorry because those are not my things to be honest with you. Uncharted: Golden Abyss is the only one that I want but I don't want to waste my money on it because most games didn't interested me at all. I have PS3 for Uncharted series and soon PS4 and I love it. I have lots of games on PS3 that interested me and PSvita doesn't have that much of interesting at all.

I use mine just to play psp and ps1 roms :D

Yeah, its great for going out and playing the portable. I don't like to play portable on the run however did you know that there is an emulator that can run PSP games easily? PS3 CFW run PS1 perfectly fine. No need for me. :D

However, one day I might just for Uncharted when it is getting lower at PAWN shop in the near future. :)

Last edited by spotanjo3,

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland

I couldn't possibly overstate what Foxi just said. I picked up Mortal Kombat (9) for Vita, thinking it's just a quick port, not expecting anything great. And was I wrong.. It's the full damn game, and then some! It has stable, high fps, and that's crucial for a fighting game, even on the go. It's graphics got downgraded compared to ps3/x360, but really, that's to be expected, and I was expecting much worse. Really a brilliant thing to recommend.
Jak & Dexter Trilogy is also good (if you can get past the framerate issues in 2 and 3), the ability to have 3 games I grew up with in my backpack all the time is amazing.
Some PS1 classics (Oddworld represent) also landed on my mem card, and are there to say
In my opinion, the potential of Vita is quite big, and the public doesn't want to see it, for the most part

Reactions: cvskid
D

Deleted User

A question from a random guy who never ever used a ps-vita.

Is it worth buying as of today? What are the greatest deals?

I may be interested to get one someday.
I have mixed opinions on this one. Personally, I think it's okay for PSP/PS1-related stuff, and the occasional PS Vita game development using PSM Dev Assistant (;)), but the overall Vita side is pretty unsuccessful. (unless you really love anime games and Minecraft)

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I have mixed opinions on this one. Personally, I think it's okay for PSP/PS1-related stuff, and the occasional PS Vita game development using PSM Dev Assistant (;)), but the overall Vita side is pretty unsuccessful. (unless you really love anime games and Minecraft)
Well, that ps1 psp thing, have my psps for that.

As for anime games and minecraft, I'm not much a fan haha

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted-355425

I understand your point of view but sorry because those are not my things to be honest with you. Uncharted: Golden Abyss is the only one that I want but I don't want to waste my money on it because most games didn't interested me at all. I have PS3 for Uncharted series and soon PS4 and I love it. I have lots of games on PS3 that interested me and PSvita doesn't have that much of interesting at all.

Yeah, its great for going out and playing the portable. I don't like to play portable on the run however did you know that there is an emulator that can run PSP games easily? PS3 CFW run PS1 perfectly fine. No need for me. :D

However, one day I might just for Uncharted when it is getting lower at PAWN shop in the near future. :)

i dont play on the go either :)

but for when the TV isnt mine.

Reactions: spotanjo3

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Vita's most popular games seem to appeal to a more niche group of people than Nintendo's or the PS4's well known franchises and exclusives. Note, this is excluding Japan. That niche is weeaboos, the games would probably do fine in Japan

That's one of the biggest reasons it may not be selling very well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool