The Value of Gamecube Games/discs today.

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the primary question has been answered (multiple times), I'll go a little off topic. That being said, on the topic of emulation/USB loaders, I believe it's always more satisfying to own physical copies. Reasons:

1.) It looks nice to have all of your games on display in a shelf, or something similar. (You can't properly display USB drives on a shelf. That'd be strange.)
2.) It's more fun to be able to play a game you actually, legally own.
3.) On the legal side of things, piracy is a crime.
4.) Nothing beats booting up a classic and hearing that iconic boot sound. (Particularly in the case of the Gamecube.)
5.) Do you ever feel good knowing you cheated game developers out of well-earned money? You must feel bursting with happiness after you put all of the developer's time to waste, right?

I'm interested to see what full-blown pirates have to say in regard to this post. So go ahead. Flame me (you're the one who'll be breaking the forum rules :tpi:).

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if I was for piracy just me stating I'm for it doesnt break rules. With that said I'll try my best to counter your points and for the sake of argument I am "for piracy"

1. Correct me if I'm wrong but Dolphin's game menu can be modified in such a way to display all the titles you own, when I modded my Wii years ago and used Wiiflow the UI was very appealing to look at as you scrolled across all the games in your collection. Sure it may not be as appealing as looking at a collection displayed in a bookshelf but it shouldnt be ignored as a preference.

2. Never really gave a reason why its more fun to play a game you own. Call me crazy but you should have fun with the game itself despite owning it or not.

3. You are correct on piracy being illegal. Emulation however is not and often gets lumped together with piracy being illegal.

4. Again, this just sounds more like personal preference and emulators can do all this too with all the bells and whistles you desire.

5. Depending on the game you are pirating, it may not at all cheat developers out of any profit. Piracy is still wrong regardless but unless the game is currently being produced and sold in stores I wouldnt lose sleep over it. If you want to get upset at anyone, get mad at people who pay for used games (that are still currently being produced.) They do more harm than piracy because they intended to give profit but were too cheap to pay full price on a new copy. Pirates dont intend to pay at all.

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if I was for piracy just me stating I'm for it doesnt break rules. With that said I'll try my best to counter your points and for the sake of argument I am "for piracy"

1. Correct me if I'm wrong but Dolphin's game menu can be modified in such a way to display all the titles you own, when I modded my Wii years ago and used Wiiflow the UI was very appealing to look at as you scrolled across all the games in your collection. Sure it may not be as appealing as looking at a collection displayed in a bookshelf but it shouldnt be ignored as a preference.

2. Never really gave a reason why its more fun to play a game you own. Call me crazy but you should have fun with the game itself despite owning it or not.

3. You are correct on piracy being illegal. Emulation however is not and often gets lumped together with piracy being illegal.

4. Again, this just sounds more like personal preference and emulators can do all this too with all the bells and whistles you desire.

5. Depending on the game you are pirating, it may not at all cheat developers out of any profit. Piracy is still wrong regardless but unless the game is currently being produced and sold in stores I wouldnt lose sleep over it. If you want to get upset at anyone, get mad at people who pay for used games (that are still currently being produced.) They do more harm than piracy because they intended to give profit but were too cheap to pay full price on a new copy. Pirates dont intend to pay at all.
Alright, time to justify what I said (you know, because why not?):

1.) You are correct. I was thinking very literally (as in cases on display Vs. USB drives on display).

2.) That really was my opinion.

3.) Emulation is tricky. It's almost never used for actual pirating. Look at Cemu; would anyone truly be able to sit down and play a full game with it? Not in its current state. Too buggy, and you'll need a monster PC to run it properly. But, if a game is so old that you've got to but it on eBay, it's not like any profit is going to the developers anyway. You might as well emulate, say, the SNES, because under no circumstances is buying any of its games going to support the developers, plus you don't have to deal with the games you're looking for being particularly high in price.

4.) Yeah, this is "personal preference". No justification here.

5.) Speaking more to pirating current-gen games. Most other situations it would be easier to simply emulate the game(s) in question (my opinion of emulation is explained in number three of this list). As far as pre-owned games go, I can't really speak, as I sometimes buy them...however, I understand what you're saying, and agree with it (for the most part).

Last edited by Logan Pockrus,

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3.) Emulation is tricky. It's almost never used for actual pirating. Look at Cemu; would anyone truly be able to sit down and play a full game with it? Not in its current state. Too buggy, and you'll need a monster PC to run it properly. But, if a game is so old that you've got to but it on eBay, it's not like any profit is going to the developers anyway. You might as well emulate, say, the SNES, because under no circumstances is buying any of its games going to support the developers, plus you don't have to deal with the games you're looking for being particularly high in price.
Yet dolphin can handle most GameCube and Wii games just fine. Cemu actually performs remarkably well given its age.

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yet dolphin can handle most GameCube and Wii games just fine. Cemu actually performs remarkably well given its age.
It does perform well. Very well. But I don't know about you, or anyone on this forum, but I simply don't have the patience to sit down and play a game, start to finish with it.

EDIT: My computer isn't very "high-end", so it'll probably do worse running Cemu than some of yours would.

EarlAB

hon hon titty croissants
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I certainly don't doubt that.
Most of the time though it's only as a demo to see if I actually like it (and then I might buy it, same for Wii games).
I usually limit myself to about 5 minutes.
However, on the 3DS, Nintendo took away most of my licenses so I basically lost $300+ worth of games so I am not afraid to pirate a little.

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the time though it's only as a demo to see if I actually like it (and then I might buy it, same for Wii games).
I usually limit myself to about 5 minutes.
However, on the 3DS, Nintendo took away most of my licenses so I basically lost $300+ worth of games so I am not afraid to pirate a little.
'S okay, man. Everyone's done it at one point or another. I sometimes find myself "short on money" (that's my typical excuse), and end up whipping out CIAngel (Nintendo's servers are a pirate's heaven).

DDTarZan

Never getting laid again /s
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Figures I would stumble upon this thread, only realizing that my older sister proceeded to write my name on every single disc in black sharpee I had in my possession at the time. She only did it because some twerp friends stole several of my GC games and a GBA SP. Tl;dr, my sister is an asshole. :hateit:

Reactions: VinsCool

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit, I assumed you had connections with a crazed collector and s/he allowed you to borrow and return at anytime.

Guess you meant piracy :/
Look, the collector makes a backup copy of the disk's content. (ISO)
Earl borrows the disk (not the content on the disk) and makes a backup copy of the disk itself (another physical disk). He then makes a backup copy of the content on the second disk (ISO).
He can now give the original back, and have his own legit copy.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look, the collector makes a backup copy of the disk's content. (ISO)
Earl borrows the disk (not the content on the disk) and makes a backup copy of the disk itself (another physical disk). He then makes a backup copy of the content on the second disk (ISO).
He can now give the original back, and have his own legit copy.
Please stop involving me in matters you clearly don't understand.

https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom

Reactions: dimmidice

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When someone replies to your obvious sarcasm in a sarcastic manner, please assume they are also being sarcastic.
Sarcasm on the Internet is as effective as using two condoms at once.

You aren't being funny nor are you using sarcasm in an effective way.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wtf? Find a better source, I bought it for 40 CAD last year
I dont understand the obsession for collectors to buy games brand new and sealed. Its probably an OCD obsession or not wanting to touch a used copy that is "tainted" by a previous owners hands.

As long as I get games with its case and manual I'm ok with it, I only buy used if its no longer sold new.

Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Blurp.