The usual question... which cart will best suit my needs ?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Yoko99, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Yoko99
    OP

Newcomer Yoko99 Newbie

Italy
    Hey everyone.

I'm sorry, I know you get that same question everyday, but you gotta admit it's kinda tough to know north from south with all those different cards around.

I used to have a Supercard SD some three years ago, and was very happy with it, especially because of the easy to use and perfectly working built-in NES, GG, etc... emulators.
    Also DS compatibility was pretty good. Loved using Moonshell, ScummVMDS,etc...
    GBA compatibility was'nt bad, even if some games just had too many slowdowns.
    It's nice to see how many good Slot-1 cards are around these days. I'd like to get one, unfortunately they don't let you play GBA games, if I understand correctly.

...Right ?

So I guess my only solution is looking into a Slot-2 card and some 5$ passcard(which I would only use once anyway, as I intend to use Flashme)...

Basically I'm looking to buy something that'll give me the same kind of freedom my Supercard did.
    I wanna be able to use emulators( if they're not built in it's alright, but I need to be sure they'll be easy to set up/use). The ones built-in the Supercard worked pretty well.
    Then I want the best possible GBA/NDS compatibility, of course.
    And that's about it.
    I guess I don't really care if it sticks out or anything as long as it's sturdy. It should use Mini or preferably MicroSD.
    A couple nice additions would be the possibility to remove the SD card from the flash cart without having to pull it out of the DS, and a rumble feature maybe, only if it's good... but that's really not very important..

So there you go, basically interested mostly in being able to play as many games as possible with the least possible issues.

Any advice, people ?

Thanks in advance!!

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I guess then it'd be better to get a Slot-1 card, since Slot-2 cards are slowly lagging behind Slot-1 cards in compatibility, and they also still need patching, which is pretty boring, imho.

Seeing you're a long time SuperCard user, I'd suggest you the SuperCard DS One. It's a good card, sturdy, and highly compatible. It also has every major function out there. Too bad the menu is a bit slow.

As for GBA compatibility, just get an EZ Flash-3in1. That will let you run all your GBA games perfectly, without any slowdowns. Remember to get the NDS Fat version if you've got a Fat, otherwise the Lite cart won't fit in your Fat.
    As a bonus, you also get Rumble Support and Additional RAM for Homebrews or the official Opera Browser. To use the EZ Flash-3in1 GBA support you just need to launch a program (GBAexpLoader) from your Slot-1 card and then select the .gba file you want to run [​IMG]

Other good (and cheap) cards are the AceKard 2 and the DSTT. But beware of clones and fakes for the latter.

inb4cyclodsfanboys
    A lot of users will also suggest you the CycloDS Evolution. It's a good card, but imho, it just costs too much for what it offers.

3. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    The best thing you can do is have a slot-1 card as well as a GBA expansion like EZ 3-in-1. No slot-2 card will give you full NDS compatibility, but having the two will give you give you both full libraries.

As for what card, well if you want a feature rich card go for the CycloDS, but if you want a barebones/cheap solution it's not your thing. You have to be particularly careful here if you ever plan on owning a DSi.

4. Flawsdraw

Member Flawsdraw GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Still don't know why people dont read about... after reading the god knows how mnay threads on this and reading reviews on cards you will surely come to a conclusion..... as for me I use M3 Real with GBA Expansion pack which you get with the full kit also the rumble pack which is useless really... but seriously there was no need for this thread

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The cheapest method with what you've got would be to buy the $5-$10 slot-1 NoPass and use your Supercard SD to play DS games and applications. Personally I do not have a slot-1 device, as I use a Supercard miniSD and FlashMe, and it works fine for my purposes.

However, the others are right in that if you want to get the best compatibility for both DS and GBA games, a dedicated slot-1 device and the 3in1 expansion pack is the way to go.

6. Yoko99
    OP

Newcomer Yoko99 Newbie

Italy
    Thanks for your answers guys !

I know it must be annoying to always see the same questions from all the desperate newbies. Sorry again.
    It's just there's so much to process it gets confusing trying to narrow down your options. Which thread to post in, which terms to use, etc...

Sometimes one just need a little direct advice/simple explanations from fellow gamers.
    Might seem like nothing, but you guys helped me with a concept I guess I was'nt fully grasping, that's the GBA expansion cart
    Now I was able to make much more sense out of the different reviews on here.

I don't have my old Supercard anymore otherwise I'd be using that.

Compatibility being my main concern...
    I think I'm gonna go for the M3 this time. Not decided yet, though, still reading about the subject.
    I was looking for something which like the Supercard in its time provided the builtin emulators, but I guess it does'nt matter that much, I'm sure they won't be that hard to set up.

Thank you all!

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Oh whoops, didn't notice that you said you didn't have it anymore.

No slot-1 device comes with built-in emulators, as it's just as easy to set them up yourself with the advent of DLDI and filesystem access, which was the main advantage of the Supercard's built-in ones. For instance, with NES DS you just copy your *.nes files to your card along with the nesDS.nds file, launch nesDS.nds, and choose the game to play. It's one more step, but it's nearly as easy.