Homebrew RELEASE The Ur-Quan Masters MegaMod for Switch

victor_sav

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

The Ur-Quan Masters MegaMod for Switch [GAME=/game/star-control-ii-the-ur-quan-masters.1046]Star Control II[/GAME]

DjrJ7Rz.png

The Ur-Quan Masters MegaMod is a fork of The Ur-Quan Masters that continues the HD mod with a veritable smorgasbord of extra features.

A full list of changes and features can be found on the Main site.

And the current changelog can be found in the repository: Changelog

Installing

1. Copy the contents of the release zip file to your sdmc:/switch/ folder
  2. Run the game through the hbmenu
Optionally, you can install the nsp forwarder and place the nro in sdcard:/switch/uqm-megamod/uqm-megamod.nro

Game content like mm-0.8.0.85-content.uqm goes in the ./content/packages folder relative to the NRO.

All the extra addons like mm-0.8.0.85-hd.uqm and uqm-0.7.0-3dovideo.uqm go in ./content/addons.

You can download more addons on the MegaMod site.

Bugs

• The game occasionally crashes on start
  • When using the HD content, most settings screens in the main menu become almost unusable because of lagging
    • Same thing happens occasionally during dialogue sequences (so far only once for me)
    • The rest of the game plays perfectly well
    • Seems like a threading issue

Controllers

The game is configured to use Joycon 1 and Joycon 2 by default, so it should be playable out of the box. You can adjust the controls in the settings, in ./content/*.key and ./config/flight.cfg

Download

GitHub page: https://github.com/yokai-shogun/UQM-MegaMod-Switch/tree/switch

Releases: https://github.com/yokai-shogun/UQM-MegaMod-Switch/releases/latest

tumblr_n3nspgwdnK1s23660o1_500.gifv

Last edited by victor_sav,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This is a dream come true. I wish more people knew about this game. I had similar feelings about Mother 2/Earthbound, but this one still flies below everyone's radar.

Reactions: victor_sav

Shaneus

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
OH MY GOD.

This makes me so happy, contemplating keeping my Switch in homebrew mode from now on. The one thing the Vita/PSP had over it was this.

Edit: is it possible for this to closely resemble the PC release at all? I've never played the Megamod, but would prefer if all the locations, story, graphics etc were as close to the original as possible.

Last edited by Shaneus,

victor_sav

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PavelBelinin, there's already a Russian addon for the game, but the Ur-Quan Masters HD. It just needs to be converted to the new format, which involves creating a RMP text file and moving some files around. You can find it here. I tested it out and it's a pretty good one, though text only. Once I have more free time, I will make it work with the Megamod myself, unless someone beats me to it.

Shaneus, all the extra features are optional and can be configured from settings, even the PC/3DO settings that most uqm versions have. With only the base addon and some settings adjustments, I'm pretty sure it can be very true to it's PC original. Though I haven't had a chance to play the originals myself.

Last edited by victor_sav,

PavelBelinin

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Thanks for the answer! Could you please provide a link to the translation file and explain how to apply it? I understand that if you just move the file to the content folder, it will not help?

pris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi, I'm getting a crash when I launch the forwarder – I've made sure the nro is correctly named+located, and I get the same result whether I install the nsp through either tinfoil or goldleaf. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for putting together this port, love this game and delighted to be able to play it on the go like this.

edit: okay, apparently 12.0.0 broke all existing forwarders, and going by the post dates ITT I'm assuming that the nsp here predates that issue – guess I'll see about making my own. Sorry for the bump.

scshepard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I am able to open the game without any add-ons, but once anything is added/changed in the setup, the switch crashes once I reboot the game for the settings to be implemented.

Error Code: 2168-0002 (0x4a8)
Program: 010000000000100D
Firmware 13.0.0 (Atmosphère 1.2.1-master-fb59d0ad4) [My firmware is actually 13.2.0, running on an emunand]

Any idea on what can be done to fix this? I would really want to play using the add-ons and perhaps the forwarder (issue raised by kflester yesterday).

Thank you very much for the awesome port! I just love this game.

pris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I'm having a possibly-related problem with the settings – specifically, the image was stretched when I first booted it up, and there are no resolution-related options in the UI, so I had to dig into the cfg and change the image height string from its default value (960 iirc) to 720, which fixed it and caused the game to start with the right aspect ratio. Unfortunately, making any other changes in the settings menu immediately reverts this, and the only way to fix it is to manually edit the file again. No crashes on my end, just mildly inconvenient.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1