Hacking The UNSWITCH PROJECT - Recreations of switch games on the Wii U!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France

JNTFmeW.png

THE UNSWITCH PROJECT

First of all, i know what people will say, "You can't do it, the Wii U isn't powerful enough..." and in fact they are true...
I mean the Wii U isn't powerful enough to directly launch switch games that got ported or emulates it... But it is in fact possible to rom hack some games,
like Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Mario 3D World and some others to get to play some of the switch games.
For example, we could totally edit the SM3DW source files to have the Mario Odyssey game.

But, i don't want to just port some games and play it with my Wii U, i also want to add some new features (ex: Delfino Plaza into Mario Odyssey...),
make it playable with the gamepad, the pro controller, the wiimote.

I know the game will not look totally the same, but "it's better than nothing" - Mighty Number 9 Creator .

I also know that the games will totally lost portability and have a different gameplay... (Most of the games on Switch are first made to be playable on TV... So it's not too different i think...)

I know a lot of you here actually owns the switch at the moment, but i don't, i know the switch got homebrewed recently (PegaSwitch) & we could possibly get rom hacks ...
but i want to give more love & interrest into the wii u (don't ask me why..., i think it's the most underrated console & i want her to live a lot more...)

So yeah, here is the games i plan "porting" to the Wii U:
((?) = Not sure about ; * = First making; This list is classed in the order i'm making the games.)

• * Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • * Splatoon 2
  • * Pokken Tournament DX
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Xenoblade Chronicle 2
  • Fast RMX
  • (?) ARMS
  • (?) Snipperclips

I think i will create a thing like "a switch launcher" who basically patches the games and run it... (I will maybe make a fork of SDCafiine)
it will be installed with WUP Installer GX2... And will have a clean interface.

A lot of the games in the list already have a Wii U equivalent (except for ARMS & Snipperclips ), so i can possibly just rom hack them...
I know i'm new in the hacking scene but everyone starts somewhere...

Thank you for reading all of this :lol:
i will certainly need help, so i will add a Discord link later to that post...
:arrow: :gun:Here is a little poll i made (It's not made with GBATemp because the GBAT ones are too limited) ;)

TIP: Switch to light theme (because GBAT doesn't want me to edit the whole message to disable black font...)

Wow, this was a pretty big thread... If you read all of this, i have a little game for you: Count all the times i wrote "..." .
Sorry, for my english, i'm a french guy at first...

Last edited by HRudyPlayZ,
Reactions: LaPingas

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but I think you should take one step at a time instead of trying to spearhead an entire project based on a vague idea without any specific plan. If you are indeed serious about doing this, I would suggest picking just one game and focussing on that to produce at least a proof of concept.

By the looks of it, you are planning to revamp the entire game altogether and that will take far more effort to romhack compared to say, a palette swap, if it is even possible to begin with. So just keep that in mind.

MrCatFace

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This wont work. You have to do way too much hacking.

Mario Kart 8 DX is Mario Kart 8 with DLC
Splatoon 2 wont work. Hacking and multiplayer in that game DONT work.
Pokken Tournament DX is Pokken Tournament with DLC

The first 3 games are pointless/wont work. Every else will require way too much work as new tools need to be developed and even completely new engines.

Dont even bother with any of this.

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, not gonna work. Change the font colour, I can not read much at all. Also, as said before, games that already are on the Wii U are pointless or wont work. Also, while this would be good as a PoC, why use this when you can just use a switch? Also if it did work, wouldnt it count as pirating the original game?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Including the ... in quotes, you wrote it 19 times. Thanks CTRL + F :)

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

HRudyPlayZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if it's a remake or a new game in the serie so i put him here...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

OH AND PLEASE DON'T PUT GAMES THAT ARE ALREADY THE SAME ON THE WII U IN THE POLL!
(If i can make some of this romhacks, i would add a button to launch BOTW or others to the launcher...)

HRudyPlayZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i'm searching for some dumps somewhere on the web...
(I know it can be illegal but in fact, i paid the games so it's balanced...)

HRudyPlayZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I said that so i don't have to rebuild the engine from scratch... (Because that would literally be impossible as i don't know the rendering codes...)

And don't worry i would do one game at a time... (Because i will be slower if not) This thread is basically just an announcement...

MrCatFace

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I said that so i don't have to rebuild the engine from scratch... (Because that would literally be impossible as i don't know the rendering codes...)

And don't worry i would do one game at a time... (Because i will be slower if not) This thread is basically just an announcement...

Back up your announcement with a bit of work next time. No one will support this because its outlandish and you have nothing to show. Anyone can make a project, but few can follow through.

Reactions: pandavova and Kioku
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse