Hacking The UNSWITCH PROJECT - Recreations of switch games on the Wii U!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok, I know it's been pointed out at least once in this thread already, but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is literally already available natively on Wii U, it's just Mario Kart 8 + DLCs. Why would you waste your time "porting" MK8D to a system that already has it?!
With MK8 + DLCs you don't have:
- Bowser Jr
- Purple Drifts
- Real Battle Mode...

The rest is identical but i will port MK8D mainly because of the battle mode...

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
With MK8 + DLCs you don't have:
- Bowser Jr
- Purple Drifts
- Real Battle Mode...

The rest is identical but i will port MK8D mainly because of the battle mode...
srs you cant port something without a source code you can make homebrew levels and do some level impors but i bet even that you wont get it to work.

HRudyPlayZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's not the same engine, it's completely different and that's obvious in the gameplay.
Importing levels into a game isn't difficult unless there's a lot of constraints on the engine, which could likely be broken after potentially years of work.

Also just look at how many NPCs alone need to be made to "port" Mario Odyssey. I'm sure it's a lot more than 3D World already has. And afaik 3D World has little more than a level editor.

Cappy and everything else clearly need to be made from scratch.
Then you'd have to remove 4 player mode, limiting it to maybe 1 or 2 players, as well as Gamepad functions.
Remove life counter, increase coin counter, have purple coins per world, etc.

This would be years of work, no way around that.

Purple coins can be done easily...
I don't know about NPCs but i think you could use some kind of variable to stock what they will say... If you do that you have not so many NPCs...
Multiplayer would be hard enough...
And i know how hard is it to port Odyssey... but i could be interresting to try (my priority now is MK8D...)

wprpalmeida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
first i was laughing, but now i kinda feel bad for you man.

the consoles have vastly different architecture, and as previously said, you would need at least the source codes, and even then it wouldn't be guaranteed you'd get anything to work.
save yourself some time and headache. go find something a bit more down to earth to do, like finding a part-time job to buy a switch for example

godspeed, my friend

Procyon

TheRealProcyon
Trophies
Website
discord.me
XP
Country
Netherlands
Typical case of Dunning Kruger. OP has done a small thing & thinks he can do everything. It's not gonna work, you're over estimating yourself. Do some studying, maybe try to make small Homebrew samples & come back later.

Reactions: Brawl345

HRudyPlayZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
srs you cant port something without a source code you can make homebrew levels and do some level impors but i bet even that you wont get it to work.
MK8Deluxe is pretty simple to port... for local usage... For online it's a totally different story...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I know it's a very ambitious project... But i need to at least try... Imagine if by magic i manage to get it to work... Imagine how that would be an achievement... I know the 3/4 of the games are for the most part, impossible to port... But i can at least give it a try...

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
MK8Deluxe is pretty simple to port... for local usage... For online it's a totally different story...
how is it simple? you have no idea how the engine even works, if you replace the tracks on battle mode you will probably replace the track on race mode too since tehy arent unique but just existing tracks and adding new slots can be excruciating dificult some engines are agains new slots due to programing core, just from this statemente you have no idea what you are saying, it took like hundreds of hours and research and about 5 years to make a simple model import on ssbb and to this day stuff still cant be done like stage hazards and such, you have no idea how to change an engine and how much work it takes, you cant just grab a model and put it inside a game with no effort.

Last edited by pedro702,

wprpalmeida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I know it's a very ambitious project... But i need to at least try... Imagine if by magic i manage to get it to work... Imagine how that would be an achievement... I know the 3/4 of the games are for the most part, impossible to port... But i can at least give it a try...

no it is not pretty simple to port. what on earth makes you think that?

HRudyPlayZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
how is it simple? you have no idea how the engine even works, if you replace the tracks on battle mode you will probably replace the track on race mode too since tehy arent unique but just existing tracks and adding new slots can be excruciating dificult some engines are agains new slots due to programing core, just from this statemente you have no idea what you are saying, it took like hundreds of hours and research and about 5 years to make a simple model import on ssb band to this day stuff still cant be done like stage hazards and such, you have no idea how to change an engine and how much work it takes,
I saw an old dump of MK8D online... (I think Big N closed the download of it... ) And in fact, new battle stages aren't loaded by the course code but a totally different game mode code from Battles, the models aren't the same files... They don't overwrite anything... (I admit the easier part will be the purple sparkle and can work by gecko [I just don't know how to make them purple... Maybe i can create a new particle entry...])

I know some of the gamemodes will be extremely hard to make... (Since we don't have the source code for them, only for the mk8 imports) and i know i would need to force the game to load the level because the method they use... (This is the easier part, even if it's already a bit difficult..., the hardest part will be to program all of the gameplay elements...)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I saw an old dump of MK8D online... (I think Big N closed the download of it... ) And in fact, new battle stages aren't loaded by the course code but a totally different game mode code from Battles, the models aren't the same files... They don't overwrite anything... (I admit the easier part will be the purple sparkle and can work by gecko [I just don't know how to make them purple... Maybe i can create a new particle entry...])
i just want to see you even adding a simple model, heck just show us how you imported a battle stage without t even be playable.

its all fine and dandy when your making a game with an engine where you know what everything does, on games without a sourcecode it could take you weeks just to found out what part of the code is even a graphic let alone the adresses and values, all your "easy" things is when stuff is documented, a dump alone isnt documented you have no idea what does what.

HRudyPlayZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i just want to see you even adding a simple model, heck just show us how you imported a battle stage without t even be playable.

its all fine and dandy when your making a game with an engine where you know what everything does, on games without a sourcecode it could take you weeks just to found out what part of the code is even a graphic let alone the adresses and values, all your "easy" things is when stuff is documented, a dump alone isnt documented you have no idea what does what.
You are completly true... The only things we know a bit what is doing is the standard MK8 stuff (They got extracted and documented) and what's new but we don't know what the new files are for, we just know they are new by comparaison to the standard mk8...

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you could integrate the new battle maps of MK8 Deluxe into MK8, but that really would be about the extent of any success I could fathom this having.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario Kart 8 isn't unreasonable except you can't decrypt Switch dumps so that isn't possible right now either, assuming someone could hack it up.

Everything else is not possible or would require a dev with the absolute highest credentials who also can reverse engineer everything and steal data from Nintendo of Japan.

heh

YamiZee

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
"I know i'm new in the hacking scene but everyone starts somewhere..."
Yeah, but not from literally trying to recreate entire games. This is easily the stupidest thing I've heard of all year from this website. The amount of time required to recreate something like this, could be spent on making an ACTUAL GAME. Which you could sell and get money to buy more than just the switch with. You could even spend that time getting a job for minimum wage and you'd STILL get the money for a switch and Odyssey YEARS sooner than if you had spent it trying to rom hack Odyssey into existence. And how are you even going to properly recreate Odyssey if you don't even have the game; looking at play throughs will only give you so much information. Yes I'm sure people would appreciate the effort and after 3+ years when it's done people might think it's kinda fun despite looking like shit. But even the people that will enjoy it will have already played the original and will prefer the original so there's no reason for anyone to really care. Will you even enjoy the effort? Have you romhacked before? You may end up finding it too difficult and tedious, and end up quitting in about as much time as it took to think about and make this thread. Because it will be a very hard, and a very long endeavor.

If you enjoy romhacking then sure go for it, but for any and all other reasons just stop.

Last edited by YamiZee,
Reactions: AmandaRose

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so did i get that right? OP is trying to port games/engines from the switch to the wiiu without having the sourcecode and not even decrypted game files for the switch games?

i hope he's trolling, cuz that "idea" seems just dumb to me

HRudyPlayZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
so did i get that right? OP is trying to port games/engines from the switch to the wiiu without having the sourcecode and not even decrypted game files for the switch games?

i hope he's trolling, cuz that "idea" seems just dumb to me
I have the decrypted files... Just not the base sourcecode...

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the decrypted files... Just not the base sourcecode...
yeah? then how did you decrypt the game files?

just so you know, the switch cartridge dumps around are still encrypted and completely useless. and as of now there isn't a public way to decrypt them.

either way, all you could do with decrypted game files would be: ripping models, sounds, map files. that's pretty much it and it's not enough to "port" switch games to the wiiu

HRudyPlayZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah? then how did you decrypt the game files?

just so you know, the switch cartridge dumps around are still encrypted and completely useless. and as of now there isn't a public way to decrypt them.
I don't have all the decrypted files thought... Only the ones in MK8 format...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm sorry but I'll close this thread at this point.
I'm not censoring you, I'm doing you a favor as this thread will go bad (even more, I'm quite surprised it wasn't worse).

So, either you are making fun of people and trolling because you think it's funny to see how people react,
either you really think you can achieve what you expect, and you just ask users to add more work to something you didn't even start.
You shouldn't announce something you didn't start working on, you should wait until you have something to present, something working, something which will prove you can do it and then people will believe in you.
currently, nobody think you can or will create anything based on the way you present it, based on your past behavior and your current knowledge.

To prevent people from starting to insult you, and this thread to go full meme, it's best that it's closed.
You can create a similar thread again only if you have a working project you can display, and remember that it will be illegal to share based on the way you plan to do it.
I hope you understand this decision.

Last edited by Cyan,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol