1. eipok

OP eipok GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    It is absolutely OK!

2. bengalih

bengalih GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I had an extra 500 GB WD Passport drive that was my old Wii drive.
    I cleared that off to use it in the U, but apparently it won't work without a Y cable, even though it self-powers fine in my Wii and my PC. I don't love the fact I need to take up both USB ports for it, so I might switch to the SD card method.
    I have a spare 200 GB one I might use temporarily until I find out I need a larger.

eipok likes this.
  3. bengalih

bengalih GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I quickly realized I was going over 200 GB on my games, so I've gone back to my 500GB Passport drive.
    I've got another Wii with a 2TB so if I want to play Wii games I can do it there. I've injected a few Wii games into the WiiU and with the exception of one which doesn't work with the mic, they all seem fine. This means I can just use one drive for both WiiU and Wii games so taking up both rear ports isn't a huge deal right now.
    It seems that SSD drives work best when self powered through one port, so if I didn't care about $$, I would probably get a 512GB-2TB SSD for each port. While the injection of Wii games works, I would almost rather the organization the USB Loader GX gives you rather than have them all shown on the main launcher.
    While I usually spend a lot more time, thought, and $ getting things how I want them, this was a hand-me-down console and I never really get a lot of playtime in anyway, so I think for my casual usage it will probably stay this way for the foresee-able future.

I do want to also note some informal performance statistics. When using the WUP installer to install games to my 500GB WD Passport Essential (5400 rpm) drive I am getting transfer rates of about 1GB/50 seconds. The same transfer to my SD card (SanDisk 200GB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I/Class 10 - SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A) took about 80 seconds I believe. I forget the exact numbers, but the HDD was definitely about 50% faster than the microSD. I know there are some better class microSD cards out there, but they are pretty pricey. I would be interested to hear about speeds to other cards.
    I will put my 60GB spare SSD back in and test again to post some numbers.
    Also, I will try to launch a game or two and see if I see significant differences in launch time. After all, you tend to copy games just once, so more important is the read time off these.

eipok likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Ultimate, Nintendo, device)