The truth behind the leaked "CFW-CIA Installer"

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by derrek, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Kupie

Kupie GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    United States

What I don't get is why the devs will get mad. It's like an inevitable thing. Gateway has it in their most recent launcher now, the leak is out and people have the source, but on the way of having a real custom firmware where I can *hopefully* some day use for sweet homebrew like emulators, on the way there's always things used for piracy. Sure, the piracy part will be shit so that's a good deterrent but now people without as many skills as them can build on their endeavors and write better homebrew now.

Piracy will happen, especially with Gateway around. It always will happen for any console.

2. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth

Pretty much that. I couldn't understand everything but it was interesting to read it from time to time. And yeah, hackers don't hack for piracy, but some members here keep thinking that they should.

3. Adr990

Adr990 To boldly go where no man has gone before!

Apr 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    ROM loading is irrelevant, EmuNAND is the same as Virtual NAND on the Wii for me.
    It doesn't brick or modify your real NAND, and makes it possible to easily switch NAND's.

Also, it could connote of a exploit being released soon.
    Either by GW (Don't count on that).
    Or by a team lurking in the IIRC's, to release their exploit. And in the progress, cripple GW.

cearp likes this.
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    The thing that pisses me off, is when some hackers thing they are somehow automatically better or that their words are more valued than that of the end users, when hackers get arrogant (not all, but I know a few), that pisses me off the most. Or when some twat says the he can do the hack better than anyone else, and then has nothing to show for it. Piracy cannot be prevented or curtailed forever, however, I couldn't care less about it either way, as long as region locking can be removed and have 16-console emulation for games no longer being sold or benefiting any defunct companies, yeah. Old ROM usage doesn't make me feel bad, but newer games that still generate revenue, yeah, I avoid that.

I ain't holding my breath, and yeah, EmuNAND is used with the original Wii as well, I personally never used it; what turns me off is its limited range it can be used on.

Adr990 and curley12 like this.
  5. Ericss

Ericss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2010
    United States
    You know, I wonder if many so people would be bashing GovanifY and going "think about the devs!" if the leak included the latest version of the CFW with support for newer firmwares and DLC and no glitches. I cannot help but wonder if many of these people are more butthurt about the fact that we got a crappy old build and the devs are less likely to release an updated version now, than about GovanifY leaking their work.

cearp likes this.
  6. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    The truth only makes me angry!

7. ferret7463

ferret7463 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 21, 2010
    United States
    They have stated they had no plans of helping the community. I am sorry but i am glad these jerks are pissed. If one can do something and won't share then it's an useless endeavor.

8. dauphin327

dauphin327 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2011
    Canada
    Nintendo should sue derreck for enabling more piracy and his team! They are only ones to blame for piracy & I hope nintendo sue them for that.

9. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Because they really had every intent to release it to the public in the first place, right???:rolleyes:

10. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    you are worrying about finding a 4.5 3ds, you are worrying about your gateway getting lost in the mail...?
    jeez, just be a little more brave, stop worrying about this, honestly maybe find some medication or something to help, i hope this doesn't affect all aspects of your life.
    i can emulate most games on my something like my phone, yet we can only play 3ds games on a 3ds, most people don't care about emulation on 3ds.

11. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Hell if I know what my beef is, I just have an insatiable thing to see devices hacked I guess. Speaking of phones, I just got a smartphone to replace my dead old flip phone, Android OS, so, I can do a helluva lot more on that than I can on a 3DS anyways. I don't know, to be honest, the excitement I once had in 3DS hacking is all but gone at this point. The smartphone may have been the final nail on the coffin.

cearp likes this.
  12. Kupie

Kupie GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    Remember that time the source code was leaked for Half Life and the devs all bitched and bitched and said they quit and then Half Life was never released or complete?

Oh wait... I don't either...

the_randomizer likes this.
  13. Bond697

Bond697 Dies, died, will die.

Jun 7, 2009
    United States
    CT
    and again

the people saying dumb shit like "the devs have no plans to help the community!" have no god damn idea what they're talking about.

14. Kane49

Kane49 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    Gambia, The
    I can tell you that it's an undisputable and a 100% true never ever needed to be questioned rule of the known universe that any developer is better, worth more and has a word much more valued, heck even valuable word than any end user.

cearp likes this.
  15. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Yeah, I call bullshit, anyone who thinks they're better than another person or is stuck-up/prideful doesn't deserve our respect. Anyways.

ferret7463 likes this.
  16. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    without developers who would ... develop the 3ds?

17. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

No one, but that doesn't change the fact some people are just arrogant turds with holier-than-thou attitudes, and it's a problem.

ferret7463 likes this.
  18. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Man, you had like the perfect opportunity to tell him to not be so pusillanimous and you blew it...

cearp likes this.
  19. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Oh trust me, there are far more unsavory adjectives and insults I could have used to describe them, but why should I put myself down to their level?

20. ferret7463

ferret7463 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 21, 2010
    United States
    how is it dumb? when they themselves said it? I may not be a programmer but i have other skills (mostly mechanics) that i often share with those who want to learn or want done. Go jump in the lake ya little jerk. :glare::rolleyes:

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted