The truth behind the leaked "CFW-CIA Installer"

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by derrek, Nov 1, 2014.

1. derrek
    OP

derrek Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2014
    Canada
    https://twitter.com/derrekr6/status/528629055797866496

To sum things up:
    GovanifY (=attention whore) has leaked our 4.5 exploit, this stuff is stolen and was never meant to be public.
    Those bins are 100% our work, the leaked source is also just a disasm of them.
    The credit for the hard work at this belong to us: yellows8, profi200 and me.
    Note that you connect to GovanifY's server when using this... What he does with your IP or 3DS is out of your control ;)
    so hf w/ bricking your 3DS and other bugs we never fixed :)

Queno138, cearp, Celice and 7 others like this.

2. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Empty

Apr 19, 2010
    Greece
    Then why don't you fix them lol and regain the "glory" >.>
    You can help the scene but it's up to you dudes

Codify, WiiCube_2013, Idaho and 3 others like this.
  3. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    It's like I'm watching a Korean drama.

4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    i think the part where he says "was never meant to be public." kinda tells you that wont be happening

tbh i called this a long time ago it was always going to happen it does in every "scene"

Kupie likes this.
  5. dauphin327

dauphin327 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2011
    Canada
    You can always redirect his server IP to localhost and emulate the server, so only "you" control your 3DS. Capture packets => Make server emulator => Enjoy

Kupie and Huntereb like this.
  6. mvmiranda

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Brazil, Sao Paulo

Not cheerleading to anyone, but those were "wise" words... I'm with you bro.
    Since it was leaked and it's buggy, if you guys fix it and release a more stable and useful release, even if you guys are not seeking for glory, it will be all yours.

Peace!

Riyaz, Nobunaga and Nightwish like this.
  7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    i dont think you guys get it, its not about the glory, they didnt want anyone to have their work at all, i doubt having their old work leaked is going to make them change their mind, if anything you can probably kiss goodbye to any of them releasing anything now.....at least for a very long time

Skelletonike, Ericthegreat and NEP like this.
  8. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    >warns about the software connecting to govanify's server but don't tell how to patch it

well thank you mr. 'totally not an attention whore'

9. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008

in the Korean drama someone always dies a slow painful death......

sorry the_randomizer it was nice knowing you.. O__O

10. b17bomber

b17bomber GBAtemp Fan

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    Yea, it's not just Giovanify that has an e-peen that they want to wag. "Check out this cool stuff we have that you don't get."

Codify and Kupie like this.
  11. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    So basically the same as it was before the leak then.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    derrek I'm sad to hear that your software was leaked. All I can tell you right now is that perhaps this leak will do some good to the otherwise somewhat stale scene. I hope it won't discourage you from carrying on working on the system and sharing your findings with "the right people".

13. daicon

daicon GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    United States
    They never intended to release anything anyway. Ever. How did you miss that part?

Kupie and Nightwish like this.
  14. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Empty

Apr 19, 2010
    Greece
    Of course it's not about glory it's about saving people asses alright? He can get our IP adress and who knows what else lol
    If they want to save then go on and if you don't just leave us be stealing all of our info ^_^

(Well of course we may not use it and use our flashcards ^_^)

15. st4rk

st4rk nah

Feb 11, 2014
    Brazil
    The CRC32 of 3dsclient change too, compress size change too.

Look with Hex editor the boot.bin:
    [​IMG]

16. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    all im saying is that if your going to leak something make sure its worth it lol, all this is is a very old "cfw" with pretty much no features except installing old games on a old fw.....and i doubt any good devs would be coming forward to build on it

Skelletonike likes this.
  17. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    the thing i dont understand is if you never wanted this to be released....

why put it on a public server or even on your computer or on what ever, with the slim chance that you might get hacked... knowing this is like crack to some people.

moral of the story don't hack a Nintendo system if you don't want to get hacked.

18. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    The only reason it connects to his server is for this list of assets. It doesn't take down IP addresses, it doesn't choose what to install to your 3DS. This thread is a scare tactic to try to stop people from using this leaked piece of work.

Nice try, "developers".

Codify, Ra1d, curley12 and 10 others like this.
  19. Gamemaster1379

Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2008
    United States
    United States
    There's always going to be that person who selfishly makes public something that is intended to be closed or private. Like it or not, it has happened before, it has happened now, and it will continue to happen in the future. I imagine the majority of the scene will stay away from it, but undoubtedly there will be those who are going to play with this leak and potentially put themselves at risk.

You can't do anything about the leak, it's public. Bitching about it won't do you any good. If you want to leave the scene over one person who has a childish mentality--go ahead and do it. However, on the opposite end of the spectrum, you could embrace it. If this isn't GovanifY's work--he likely can't (or won't) provide updates to this release. Release your own iteration and offer continued support and updates for it. You have a public target audience for feedback. Embrace the release and work with it as much as you can.

I've been a part of a few other closed private tests in other scenes. I've always stood by my part as a contender who respects the wishes of the author, but so often I saw others who would release the content at some point or another. One such instance was a private in-game map test that was released to the public with malware. The sources for it were shady at best. The developers, while unhappy, decided to embrace it. They released a secure, non-malware version on their own webserver and encouraged public playtesting. The approach was a good response to an unfortunate circumstance, and I believe it can be carried over here as well.

Assuming the information about GovanifY is true, I'm not impressed with him, needless to say. However, if this is the response the dev's have, I'm no more impressed with them than GovanifY.

20. Kane49

Kane49 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    Gambia, The

Uhm just because it renders an xml file doesnt mean it wont track you
    I dont believe the bricking line for a second though :P

Huntereb likes this.