RyuKakashi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
G6 Corruption is becoming a huge problem.
People often blame it on people not using safely remove hardware.
But there are also tons of people with corruption errors that always use it.
BY DEFAULT THIS IS THE SETTING
shinjitsu-1.jpg

Thus safely remove hardware is useless for many people and it won't corrupt your g6 if you just remove it.

There's also different kinds of problems with the G6 lite espiecially if you have the first edition chinese. These are quite fragile and I've had two already with problems that I first thought was corruption. In the end I don't think it is.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been ripping my flash drive in and out for a couple years now and what would you know...nothing. All safe removal does is make sure the drive isn't being accesed while it's being removed. If the drive is being written too when removed, it may become corrupt.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Also, another important thing I would like to announce from another thread I posted at about:

ALWAYS defragment your flash cart every time you change anything on it wether you move any files, copy or delete them, before you take out the cartridge for use I highly recommend you do this. This exact same thing happened to my CF card when I used it with my GBA Movie Player and ever since I started to defragment all the time, I've never had any problems whatsoever and neither should you. I guarantee your cart won't corrupt if you defragment it and safely remove it from your PC.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I noticed that this is the default in XP but I have had times where I switch off my usb hdd and Windows complains it was doing a delayed write, so I'm continuing to safely remove all my devices.

dirtycarrot

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't exactly think it's becoming a huge problem...
I have never had an issue with mine (well, the first couple of times I used to plug the G6L directly into my USB port, and either the drive would come up empty or the light would go off intermittantly, but I realized it was because the G6L is too heavy to sit flush in my USB port and still maintain a proper connection - thus, I now plug it into a USB extension cable and have never had the problem again).
For the record, I always safely remove

MiloFoxburr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've never bothered with the safely remove crap I know when my devices aint been used so I just plug em out

I admit though sometimes I get scared when I unplug my friends 500gb external hdd (downloading stuff for her) lol Cant have that corrupting she'll bloody hurt me
frown.gif

MunkeeMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not so sure that the problem is Windows still trying to write to the flash cart when you remove it, I think it's more a problem of power.

If the light is on (which it is until you do Safely Remove), there is still power going to the flash cart. If you remove the flash cart in this state, there is a chance that you could disconnect the ground to the cart before you disconnect the +ve potential supply. This could potentially mess up your card...possibly even permanently.

Believe me, I haven't had any issues, but I will continue to use Safely Remove forever.

Not that you need a degree to figure this out, but I am an electrical engineer, and I've seen good hardware desings that avoid this problem by making the ground pins on the hardware longer than any other pins, so no matter how you remove the device, the last thing to disconnect is the ground.

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I noticed that this is the default in XP but I have had times where I switch off my usb hdd and Windows complains it was doing a delayed write, so I'm continuing to safely remove all my devices.

For non-solid state devices such as HDs (and Ipods) you should do safe removal. USB flash drives + card readers are ok with quick removal.

MrHellFire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get what the big deal about clicking an icon is. It takes like 3 seconds, why not just do it to be safe? It's not going to kill you by losing those 3 seconds.

daty2k1

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Also, another important thing I would like to announce from another thread I posted at about:

ALWAYS defragment your flash cart every time you change anything on it wether you move any files, copy or delete them, before you take out the cartridge for use I highly recommend you do this. This exact same thing happened to my CF card when I used it with my GBA Movie Player and ever since I started to defragment all the time, I've never had any problems whatsoever and neither should you. I guarantee your cart won't corrupt if you defragment it and safely remove it from your PC.

Man I've got to try this when I get home tonight. If it works I'll love you forever
laugh.gif

My G6L gets corrupt every single time I plug it in the USB port...

Zap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the truth concerning our issues: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppw...XPrem-devs.mspx

I would like to note specifically that the afore mentioned feature is just to "migitate" the problem. It does not completely prevents the problem.

Check the "Call to actions" section. It appears that this isn't just a Windows operating system issue, but it also requires the manufacturer of the device to cooperate.

Frankly speaking... as professional as the G6 team may seem, they are still leaues behind companies such as Sandisk, where much more research and investments have been spent to iron out all sorts of bugs.

What I'm trying to say is that it could be the fact that the G6 team focuses their attention to working the roms that they neglect minor issues such as these.

The problem "should not" be happening given the OS's disabling the write cache, but that doesn't mean it "will not" happen, so just be safe and use that 5 seconds to stop it. It's better to have at least one possibility ruled out when you do run into corruption.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
God these threads are getting old. If people are not safely removing their devices and corrupting their cards, then they deserve it. To the people just yanking their cards out without safe removing and it's working out, fine, more power to you, live on the edge, whatever floats your boat. If any of you guys bother to read the instructions that come with every g6 software package, there's clear instructions WITH PICTURES (just in case you don't understand the minor Engrish.....though it's very understandable on its own) on handling the g6. People think this safe removal is some special discovery of some kind when they visit the forums when in fact it's because they have not done any due dilligence on researching on g6 useage themselves (though safe removal is very standard of any addon plug and pray devices to windows to anyone that uses a pc regularly). Just please take some time to read some documentation.....if you give someone a fish they each for a day, if you teach them to fish they can eat for life...old phrase but very applicable here.

Kurumi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Did you even bothered reading the date that article was posted ? December 2001.

Honestly, how can you take stuff seriously when it's nearly 5 years old ? ESPECIALLY stuff from Microsoft.

That's also stuff concerning Windows XP Beta 2 and unless you're a computer degenerate or something of the sort, you'll notice that Windows XP has reached a state that most people would call complete (Even though Microsoft has the nasty habit of making it's customers pay for Beta Testing, since this really is what retail versions of Windows are, although they are alot more complete then the official Beta versions.)

And honestly, Of all the Plug and Play devices that i use and that my friends uses, i haven't seen or heard about any data corruptions happening this way. Let's just face it, Suprise Removal is not dangerous, it's the same thing that has people go paranoid with firewalls and antivirus.

The ONLY dangerous thing with Surprise Removal is if you're stupid enough to yank your device out while data is being transferred.

Most people that have problems with it are just using it like a monkey would use a buttplug... It's simple, learn to use your stuff with care, not paranoia. >_>

Dunno if that's the case with G6s though, being made of what Microsoft and probably anyone in the market would call of "Illegal construct", i'm not really surprised it causes issues to the already trauma-inducing Windows.

Heh, what next ? Having a minor scratch on your CDs make them non-functional ? Yeah.... I'll be over there rolling myself on the floor and dying of laughter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water