The toxicity of all scenes and how to deal with it.

th3joker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Step 1. Release first, talk later.
Step 2. As a dev make yourself hidden or inaccessable. U dont need end users questions... Post a FAQ in your readmes
Step 3. Expect nothing and be greatful for anything. No ones gonna suck your dick if u make a ps4/xb1 backup loader.
Step 4. Realize there are more dumb instant gratification noobs in the world now who dont google and want free shit nao! Ignore the cheap shits.
Step 5. Keep flame wars between devs and release groups hidden no one cares. Keep that shit in meadmes.
Step 6. ????
Step 7. PROFIT! No wait NO profit! No donations! No gofundme. Release and expect nothing. If people wanna donate to you tell them to guy a game from their favorite dev. / rant

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
FB_IMG_1497076730578.jpg
Wew lad. Really made me think.

Last edited by SnakeOil992,

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm gonna be that one person and oppose every point here
Step 1. Release first, talk later.
What if you have part of something, and want to ask for help from other developers? Or have a testing version and want someone to try it out? There are lots of reasons to post before releasing.
Step 2. As a dev make yourself hidden or inaccessable. U dont need end users questions... Post a FAQ in your readmes
No. There will always be problems that users will encounter that can't be covered by an FAQ, and people can also suggest ideas and tell you features you should add to whatever you're making. You don't have to answer every question, but if you can help why wouldn't you?
Step 3. Expect nothing and be greatful for anything. No ones gonna suck your dick if u make a ps4/xb1 backup loader.
Most devs never actually expect anything, the problem is when they get less than nothing (eg hate etc). If communities weren't filled with the dumbest people known to mankind that wouldn't be amn issue. But even still, this is a bad tip.
Step 4. Realize there are more dumb instant gratification noobs in the world now who dont google and want free shit nao! Ignore the cheap shits.
It only takes a few seconds of your time to help a noob, even if its a lmgtfy link. If you don't teach them what to do and how to help others, no wonder there's countless "noobs" around.
Step 5. Keep flame wars between devs and release groups hidden no one cares. Keep that shit in meadmes.
If it's related to the project then people have a right to know what's going on. How people respond to that is up to them, not the fault of the developers.
Step 6. ????
0/10 not enough info /s
Step 7. PROFIT! No wait NO profit! No donations! No gofundme. Release and expect nothing. If people wanna donate to you tell them to guy a game from their favorite dev. / rant
For a lot of people, the feeling that they've helped other humans is enough profit. If you were expecting profit then why did you make homebrew for a console and not a desktop app that you can sell for moneyz?

tldr the community is to blame, not the devs

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna be that one person and oppose every point here

What if you have part of something, and want to ask for help from other developers? Or have a testing version and want someone to try it out? There are lots of reasons to post before releasing.

No. There will always be problems that users will encounter that can't be covered by an FAQ, and people can also suggest ideas and tell you features you should add to whatever you're making. You don't have to answer every question, but if you can help why wouldn't you?

Most devs never actually expect anything, the problem is when they get less than nothing (eg hate etc). If communities weren't filled with the dumbest people known to mankind that wouldn't be amn issue. But even still, this is a bad tip.

It only takes a few seconds of your time to help a noob, even if its a lmgtfy link. If you don't teach them what to do and how to help others, no wonder there's countless "noobs" around.

If it's related to the project then people have a right to know what's going on. How people respond to that is up to them, not the fault of the developers.

0/10 not enough info /s

For a lot of people, the feeling that they've helped other humans is enough profit. If you were expecting profit then why did you make homebrew for a console and not a desktop app that you can sell for moneyz?

tldr the community is to blame, not the devs
1. a. You open source and relinquish control. Also Dev channels. b. Closed/open betas.

2. That's why you can report problems on github.

3.they shouldnt expect anything. Problem is they often expect to be worshipped. People will be shitty to anyone for any reason. Sticks and stones, children. Rubber and glue and all that. Another point, devs used to do this kind of work out of sheer enjoyment.

4.I agree with you there. But I think his point was not to go out of your way to flame them.

5.why do you have the right to know what they're doing? That's the entitlement we've been talking about.

6. Ugh

7. Exactly, they should be having fun with it. If you doing for anything other then enjoyment. Fuck off and get a job.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. a. You open source and relinquish control. Also Dev channels. b. Closed/open betas.
Open beta was my point about mentioning it before release, and what if you don't know any specific devs to help you in private channels etc, but are just casually looking for opinions?
2. That's why you can report problems on github.
Yee but that would breach the whole "hidden or inaccessable" idea the OP has going /shrug
3.they shouldnt expect anything. Problem is they often expect to be worshipped. People will be shitty to anyone for any reason. Sticks and stones, children. Rubber and glue and all that. Another point, devs used to do this kind of work out of sheer enjoyment.
I think most devs don't really expect anything, they just get attacked for what they made out of their own enjoyment. But I will admit it's half the devs fault for getting excessively worked up over such stuff, although it really shouldn't happen in the first.
4.I agree with you there. But I think his point was not to go out of your way to flame them.
Yeah I will admit that deliberately flaming your userbase is a bad idea, so as long as you don't do that you're set.
5.why do you have the right to know what they're doing? That's the entitlement we've been talking about.
Well I mean, if its something related to the project then its fair game, but I do agree that personal drama should be kept far away from the public eye, people only care about what affects them (For example a project being delayed and cancelled) and not the personal issues or drama relating to that.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
7. Exactly, they should be having fun with it. If you doing for anything other then enjoyment. Fuck off and get a job.
Yee, most devs are fine with just helping out, I will agree that if they expected payment they can go sod off and do something that's actually realistically profitable.
Homebrew work is mainly seen as a hobby by the developers, the problems arise when the general public think that this work is the developers life, and start expecting all kinds of support and help and this and that, when the dev can't deal with it because it's a hobby. This then causes said developer to "rage-quit" because they're not gaining anything. But to be fair, they shouldn't expect to gain anything.

So yeah, I kinda see your point in some places, but not others. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: WeedZ

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Open beta was my point about mentioning it before release, and what if you don't know any specific devs to help you in private channels etc, but are just casually looking for opinions?

Yee but that would breach the whole "hidden or inaccessable" idea the OP has going /shrug

I think most devs don't really expect anything, they just get attacked for what they made out of their own enjoyment. But I will admit it's half the devs fault for getting excessively worked up over such stuff, although it really shouldn't happen in the first.

Yeah I will admit that deliberately flaming your userbase is a bad idea, so as long as you don't do that you're set.

Well I mean, if its something related to the project then its fair game, but I do agree that personal drama should be kept far away from the public eye, people only care about what affects them (For example a project being delayed and cancelled) and not the personal issues or drama relating to that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yee, most devs are fine with just helping out, I will agree that if they expected payment they can go sod off and do something that's actually realistically profitable.
Homebrew work is mainly seen as a hobby by the developers, the problems arise when the general public think that this work is the developers life, and start expecting all kinds of support and help and this and that, when the dev can't deal with it because it's a hobby. This then causes said developer to "rage-quit" because they're not gaining anything. But to be fair, they shouldn't expect to gain anything.

So yeah, I kinda see your point in some places, but not others. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think we agree for the most part. I'll take that.

Reactions: Seriel

th3joker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is cancer.
This site is cancer but u dont see me comming to your job and knock the alls out your mouth :/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

CHOO CHOO

EOF STATION
U know i normally just post in eof so that asshats cant feel superior for "moving a thread to eof" in fact it brings me joy that some douche took the time to move it ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte