The toxicity of all scenes and how to deal with it.

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by th3joker, Jun 24, 2017.

1. th3joker
    OP

th3joker GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    Step 1. Release first, talk later.
    Step 2. As a dev make yourself hidden or inaccessable. U dont need end users questions... Post a FAQ in your readmes
    Step 3. Expect nothing and be greatful for anything. No ones gonna suck your dick if u make a ps4/xb1 backup loader.
    Step 4. Realize there are more dumb instant gratification noobs in the world now who dont google and want free shit nao! Ignore the cheap shits.
    Step 5. Keep flame wars between devs and release groups hidden no one cares. Keep that shit in meadmes.
    Step 6. ????
    Step 7. PROFIT! No wait NO profit! No donations! No gofundme. Release and expect nothing. If people wanna donate to you tell them to guy a game from their favorite dev. / rant

2. barronwaffles

barronwaffles GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2014
    Syria
    This thread is cancer.

3. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    You missed the EoF

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I could just stab knowledge into people

5. Gimzie

Gimzie GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2016
    United States
    This thread is really....something....

StarTrekVoyager likes this.
  6. Elysium420

Elysium420 Shitposting bastard

Feb 10, 2016
    Greece
    Shitville
    FB_IMG_1497076730578.jpg Wew lad. Really made me think.

Last edited by Elysium420, Jun 24, 2017
  7. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    He's not wrong..

th3joker likes this.
  8. Elysium420

Elysium420 Shitposting bastard

Feb 10, 2016
    Greece
    Shitville
    Well true, he isn't, but why should we talk about the same things over and over and not actually do them in the end? Especially if 2010 meme grammar and vocab is used.

Last edited by Elysium420, Jun 24, 2017
    Tomato Hentai and WeedZ like this.
  9. Seriel

Aug 18, 2015
    I'm gonna be that one person and oppose every point here
    What if you have part of something, and want to ask for help from other developers? Or have a testing version and want someone to try it out? There are lots of reasons to post before releasing.
    No. There will always be problems that users will encounter that can't be covered by an FAQ, and people can also suggest ideas and tell you features you should add to whatever you're making. You don't have to answer every question, but if you can help why wouldn't you?
    Most devs never actually expect anything, the problem is when they get less than nothing (eg hate etc). If communities weren't filled with the dumbest people known to mankind that wouldn't be amn issue. But even still, this is a bad tip.
    It only takes a few seconds of your time to help a noob, even if its a lmgtfy link. If you don't teach them what to do and how to help others, no wonder there's countless "noobs" around.
    If it's related to the project then people have a right to know what's going on. How people respond to that is up to them, not the fault of the developers.
    0/10 not enough info /s
    For a lot of people, the feeling that they've helped other humans is enough profit. If you were expecting profit then why did you make homebrew for a console and not a desktop app that you can sell for moneyz?

tldr the community is to blame, not the devs

10. WeedZ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    1. a. You open source and relinquish control. Also Dev channels. b. Closed/open betas.

2. That's why you can report problems on github.

3.they shouldnt expect anything. Problem is they often expect to be worshipped. People will be shitty to anyone for any reason. Sticks and stones, children. Rubber and glue and all that. Another point, devs used to do this kind of work out of sheer enjoyment.

4.I agree with you there. But I think his point was not to go out of your way to flame them.

5.why do you have the right to know what they're doing? That's the entitlement we've been talking about.

6. Ugh

7. Exactly, they should be having fun with it. If you doing for anything other then enjoyment. Fuck off and get a job.

11. Seriel

Aug 18, 2015
    Open beta was my point about mentioning it before release, and what if you don't know any specific devs to help you in private channels etc, but are just casually looking for opinions?
    Yee but that would breach the whole "hidden or inaccessable" idea the OP has going /shrug
    I think most devs don't really expect anything, they just get attacked for what they made out of their own enjoyment. But I will admit it's half the devs fault for getting excessively worked up over such stuff, although it really shouldn't happen in the first.
    Yeah I will admit that deliberately flaming your userbase is a bad idea, so as long as you don't do that you're set.
    Well I mean, if its something related to the project then its fair game, but I do agree that personal drama should be kept far away from the public eye, people only care about what affects them (For example a project being delayed and cancelled) and not the personal issues or drama relating to that.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Yee, most devs are fine with just helping out, I will agree that if they expected payment they can go sod off and do something that's actually realistically profitable.
    Homebrew work is mainly seen as a hobby by the developers, the problems arise when the general public think that this work is the developers life, and start expecting all kinds of support and help and this and that, when the dev can't deal with it because it's a hobby. This then causes said developer to "rage-quit" because they're not gaining anything. But to be fair, they shouldn't expect to gain anything.

So yeah, I kinda see your point in some places, but not others. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WeedZ likes this.
  12. WeedZ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    I think we agree for the most part. I'll take that.

Seriel likes this.
  13. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    CHOO CHOO

EOF STATION

14. Seriel

Aug 18, 2015
    Does this mean we can finally stop being serious :O

Subtle Demise likes this.
  15. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Honestly this didn't look that serious in the first place

16. smileyhead

smileyhead Bow ties are cool.

GBAtemp Patron
    smileyhead is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    [​IMG]

Subtle Demise and Seriel like this.
  17. Seriel

Aug 18, 2015
    :hrth::hrth::hrth::hrth::toot::toot::toot::toot:

Subtle Demise likes this.
  18. vinstage

vinstage ラメ?

Jan 24, 2017
    United Kingdom
    And we're taking advice from you since...when?

19. th3joker
    OP

th3joker GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    This site is cancer but u dont see me comming to your job and knock the alls out your mouth :/

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

U know i normally just post in eof so that asshats cant feel superior for "moving a thread to eof" in fact it brings me joy that some douche took the time to move it ;)

20. barronwaffles

barronwaffles GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2014
    Syria
    You are a sad little man.

gnmmarechal likes this.