The technic when solder

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by xenofusion, Mar 20, 2007.

Mar 20, 2007

The technic when solder by xenofusion at 5:10 PM (917 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. xenofusion
    OP

Newcomer xenofusion Member

United States
    I have a question.

When solder, do you touch the tip of the solder tool at the board first? then follow by the flux?

or both together? or just melt the flux?

or touch the tip of the solder tool to the wire then flux without touching the board(only flux and wire touch the board) ?

Thanks

2. mikeosoft

Member mikeosoft GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well i always suggest you pre-tin your tip before you solder so i touch the hot tip into the flux for a quick second and then i grab some solder. i then with a toothpick dabble alittle flux on the points which i want solder to flow to, and tin my tip make sure the wire has some flux on it and go... hope that helps

3. xenofusion
    OP

United States
    Hi. Thanks for reply.

So, it is best not to touch the tip of the solder tool at the board?

Just let the flux and the wire touch the board, and tip at the flux and wire not on the board, right?

4. mikeosoft

United States
    wait.

you need the tip of the soldering iron to make contact with what you want to solder. that includes the board itself if you want to solder the wire to the point on the pcb. have you ever seen soldering being performed?

theres no harm in making direct contact between the soldering tip and the board, in fact, i don't even think its possible to heat up the points without touching the tip directly to them. let me find you a good video to watch from you tube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LJ9yh4yBSy4

5. mikeosoft

United States
  6. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Just wondering. If the solder I have hasa flux core, do i still need the flux paste?

7. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    none needed if the solder contains flux, but you may find flux useful when soldering to bare copper pcb, even with rosin core solder wont stick to the board well.

for me flux made my life easier when modding ps2 slim although i use tiny micro amounts

also you touch the tip of the soldering iron to the board, melt the board lead, apply more lead if needed, apply wire/component and do it all quickly so you dont damage anything.

*Edit*
    also best way to make sure you dont burn pads or singe the board is to use the 3 sec rule, dont apply heat onto the pcb for longer then 3 sec, give it a break, blow on it to cool it down before trying again.

8. xenofusion
    OP

United States
    I done some soldering before but it is different, basically, I have a board that have holes and I just have to put in the ic and solder it.

It seems easier when there is hole on the board but I never solder anything on a board without hole on it.

Thanks for the video

9. xenofusion
    OP

United States

That helps [​IMG]

I just opened the Wii and waiting to solder it, hehe. Still waiting for my brother to come back from school so we can do it together carefully. [​IMG]

Wish me good luck