The Tales of franchise has surpassed 20 million sales

tOv20mil.jpg

This year saw the release of Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition, an upgraded re-release of one of the most well-received entries in the series, and which also helped the franchise top 20 million total sales. The first Tales of game released all the way back in 1995, on the Super Famicom, in the form of Tales of Phantasia, and would later spawn a popular JRPG series which now has 16 mainline titles as of the most recent game, Tales of Berseria. There have also been a multitude of spinoffs, re-releases, and mobile games, such as the 3DS port of Tales of the Abyss, multiple versions of Tales of Phantasia, and the now Japan-only Tales of the Rays.

:arrow: Source

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Alright, I would have let it go but I understand now. The reason why @Chary refuses to post real sources is that she is afraid that people may call her out for stealing other sites’ articles. In fact, before Chary joined the magazine staff, GBAtemp’s news articles always were properly credited, like other sites’, like they should. GBAtemp’s articles now - actually, only articles posted by Chary - lack journalistic integrity. Calling herself a “senior editor” is an insult to all magazine staff who came before her. She is the cancer that GBAtemp needs to get rid of in order to regain its journalistic credibility. Honestly I wouldn’t care what she does if I could put her in my ignore list to not be bothered by her stolen articles every time I visit the damn front page.

Plus that girl is still salty that a mere non-native english speaker like myself wrote better news posts with proper crediting than she ever did. That’s she reason why she likes to use the salt excuse whenever referring to me. To mask her own saltiness. Lulz.
What you smokin fam?

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I couldnt giv a cows arse if the whole damn link is copied which it isnt - I just want to see people's opinions on the news subject and I've read charys reviews on games and some of her posts she makes and she writes very intelligently

LunaWofl

Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Is it really only 20 million for the series? Seems a tad small when you consider just how many games there are...

Then again some were never released outside japan and some didn't really sell much... I hope this series gets many more games in the future ^w^

Alright, I would have let it go but I understand now. The reason why @Chary refuses to post real sources is that she is afraid that people may call her out for stealing other sites’ articles.

Plus that girl is still salty that a mere non-native english speaker like myself wrote better news posts with proper crediting than she ever did.
That... that is a REAL source... :| you cant get any more direct a source... that's the most directed of directful source... you can receive emails to get that source as well... I... what are you even smoking? If you cant understand it use google translate maybe?

D

Deleted User

most of the tales entries are standalone. Off the top of my head

Tales of Symphonia + Dawn of the New world and Tales of Phantasia share a world (symphonia is ~3k years before the events of phantasia)

Xillia and Xillia 2 are related

Zestiria and Berseria are related(Berseria is a long time period before Zestiria)

everything else I think is completely standalone and has little to no bearing on the plot.

Yes these jrpgs are pretty long but not the longest jrpgs.
The goddess Martel (Symphonia) is referenced in Bersaria, and it's theorized that the
comet ship
in Graces/f is Derris Kharlon. So there's a little crossover here and there.

But all in all, the stories are, for the most part, totally separate, except for the obvious
Symphonia/DotnW
Xillia/Xillia 2
Zesteria/Bersaria

I'd honestly love to see a tree (heh) of how all the games connect or reference.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: aMp

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Huge fan of Xillia with Vesperia in 2nd.. Haven't played anything pre Symphonia, though. Great series, shame they haven't put out a new game recently... Berseria did it all wrong.. I'd hope they would redeem themselves.

Panzerfaust

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
introduced to the series with tales of symphonia on the gamecube...stoped playing at the begining of the 2nd disc. now played thru tales of vesperia on the switch and it's a 7/10 game at best. maybe i'm spoiled with such amazing jrpgs like the xenoblade series. same thing happens right now with final fantasy 12 on the switch...why exactly is the final fantasy series so hyped (at least up to ff10 i guess?!)?...played ff1,ff4, ff7,ff8 (and ff12 right now) so far, I still dont get the hype around the series. dragon quest 8, chrono trigger, terranigma and xenoblade series (just to name a few) are far superior games imho.

Last edited by Panzerfaust,

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Everyone that likes tales of should play tales of graces f. Easily the best combat in the series, the flow of the combat is just amazing.
(It also has cheria and she's a cutie)

Reactions: AlexMCS and Chary

RPG_FAN128

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh man I need to try to pick up Tales of Zestiria again. At the beginning of April I played it for about 7 hours and the grand total of time I was actually PLAYING was about 20 minutes. It is so hard to get into a "movie" that calls itself a "game" when it is pretty much not a game. In fact I strongly believe MEDIA like that should actually be put into a new category of "interactive movie" and not video games at all. Please keep our video games pure.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Alright, I would have let it go but I understand now. The reason why @Chary refuses to post real sources is that she is afraid that people may call her out for stealing other sites’ articles. In fact, before Chary joined the magazine staff, GBAtemp’s news articles always were properly credited, like other sites’, like they should. GBAtemp’s articles now - actually, only articles posted by Chary - lack journalistic integrity. Calling herself a “senior editor” is an insult to all magazine staff who came before her. She is the cancer that GBAtemp needs to get rid of in order to regain its journalistic credibility. Honestly I wouldn’t care what she does if I could put her in my ignore list to not be bothered by her stolen articles every time I visit the damn front page.

Plus that girl is still salty that a mere non-native english speaker like myself wrote better news posts with proper crediting than she ever did. That’s she reason why she likes to use the salt excuse whenever referring to me. To mask her own saltiness. Lulz.

Look, I'm pretty unbiased in this, but if you're gonna write this much at least provide a link to the source you mean Chary plagiarized.

And also I feel the claim that the site has worsened is false. Although I don't agree on all opinions of this site at all times, I find it more tempting to visit it regularly compared to back when I started frequenting it, which according to my observations is before both of you, at least officially. My impression of the site now compared to way back then is that there is a lot more content being posted, if things were now like they were before you'd have news posts maybe a few times a month. To me the site seems more curated and definetly more prolific with a lot happening on different fronts.

Like take this piece of news, I don't really care much for the Tales of series and not many news sites I follow report on it, but I know it is a relatively big series and a favorite for many. Personally, my first entry into the series was this year when I tried Symphonia HD with patches. I found it not to my taste because of the story (which you can't skip) and gameplay. Gotta admit I was disappointed since I've only been hearing good things about it since forever, but people definetely have different tastes. Still, I'm interested in them reporting on it and all in all it's good filler news until something that interests me pops up. During old gbatemp there would be a lot more droughts in terms of news.

Last edited by Zense,

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've seen this news from Gematsu quite a few days ago (dated May 7th there), but does that matter at all?
Quite a bit of the news I see here, I see there first.

@Zense Symponia is pretty much the worst main entry in the series IMO. Worst gameplay (at least on the PS3), iffy gfx, anmd meh-ish characters.
The original SNES Phantasia is a better game. In fact, it's better than a lot of later entries, which is probably why it has like 5 remakes, the GBA English version being the worst of them, while the NDX PSP version is the best.

Reactions: Zense

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've seen this news from Gematsu quite a few days ago (dated May 7th there), but does that matter at all?
Quite a bit of the news I see here, I see there first.

@Zense Symponia is pretty much the worst main entry in the series IMO. Worst gameplay (at least on the PS3), iffy gfx, anmd meh-ish characters.
The original SNES Phantasia is a better game. In fact, it's better than a lot of later entries, which is probably why it has like 5 remakes, the GBA English version being the worst of them, while the NDX PSP version is the best.
Thanks, yeah I was actually wondering if anyone here would recommend a better game in the series for me, though I figured Symphonia would be cool for the coop. I have tested Tales of Phantasia and it seems pretty cool, especially since it is strictly 2D so getting confused on how to go ahead and go back seems less possible. I don't think it is coop, though? I did like the music and graphics style of Symphonia though.

D

Deleted User

Everyone that likes tales of should play tales of graces f. Easily the best combat in the series, the flow of the combat is just amazing.
(It also has cheria and she's a cutie)
Easily one of the best battle mechanics around, especially with f's Extra story adding an extra level ontop!

It also has fruit shaped like Cheria's~~~~

Reactions: Justinde75

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
20 million overall isn't that bad, because finding a copy anywhere on release was almost a matter of luck, and the aftermarket for these games is bonkers.

Usually, they sold 400000 copies of a game and wouldn't bother printing more. Guess the eshops came to help this series.

I like this piece of news. Tales is cool.

Reactions: AlexMCS
D

Deleted User

20 million overall isn't that bad, because finding a copy anywhere on release was almost a matter of luck, and the aftermarket for these games is bonkers.

Usually, they sold 400000 copies of a game and wouldn't bother printing more. Guess the eshops came to help this series.

I like this piece of news. Tales is cool.
It's for this exact reason I have the collectors editions of each game since Symphonia (except Bersaria and Zesteria due to monnies) stashed away safe and sound in the folks attic. Gorgeous shelf pieces, can be rather rare and just generally great games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: afternoon