The Tales of franchise has surpassed 20 million sales

tOv20mil.jpg

This year saw the release of Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition, an upgraded re-release of one of the most well-received entries in the series, and which also helped the franchise top 20 million total sales. The first Tales of game released all the way back in 1995, on the Super Famicom, in the form of Tales of Phantasia, and would later spawn a popular JRPG series which now has 16 mainline titles as of the most recent game, Tales of Berseria. There have also been a multitude of spinoffs, re-releases, and mobile games, such as the 3DS port of Tales of the Abyss, multiple versions of Tales of Phantasia, and the now Japan-only Tales of the Rays.

:arrow: Source

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Tales of the Abyss is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'm pretty sure most of the games in the series sit at the top of many of my friends' best games list as well. Also really happy to see Bandai Namco try to push support for the series on PC--I hope we see more Tales games on Steam in the future.

Reactions: aMp and CallmeBerto

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would have prefer tales of symphonia Chronicles HD port to Switch/PS4/Xbox One only cause I'm more familiar with it. But I already own it on ps3 and okay with that. Playing The Vesperia game feels like a brand new beast of a game compared to Symphonia, but only because it has so much different that I still haven't gotten used to compared to most rpg games. I own Xestria and Beseria, but still haven't played them yet cause I'm stuck on this one. Actually I have that on on vita tales of heart R that I also didn't finish, and the abyss one on 3DS that I also didn't finish. Is it weird the only english version of phantasia is on gba? Also bad that the only games I beaten was the two symphonia ones on ps3 and the legendia on ps2. :blink:

They really should make more compilations or ports. 16 games? 4 of them can be a compilation, like the ones featuring 2D battle systems. :ninja:

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Tales of is my favorite JRPG series, much better and more consistent in quality than other series (yes, I'm talking about Final Fantasy but also Dragon Quest).
My first Tales of was Destiny and even though I never finished the first time around, I always remembered it. years later I recovered that very same save and finished it, with the good memory I have I still remembered all the main plot points.
My favorite is Xillia 1, Xillia 2 was pretty good too, but I liked 1 better, Alvin is a beast and Elize is just too cute and adorable, she if my daughterfu.

PS: Namco, I'm still waiting that Destiny DC PS4 port and while you are at it do a double release with Destiny 2.
Thanks.

Reactions: AlexMCS
D

Deleted User

I never heard of this "Tales of" series until my girlfriend saw one of those monthly showcase videos of games from Nintendo and she remember playing it when she was younger. I gotta say, I'm glued to Tales of Vesperia. I'm missing out on some good games

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tales his its high points and low points, and it's weird to see how one of them can be someone's favorite and another's hated. but all-in-all, they keep trying to make things fresh and push what it means to be a tales game.

my first was symphonia, for GameCube. Loved it.

D

Deleted User

Symphonia on the GameCube was my introduction to the series. They're my go to JRPG's.

Sure, sometimes the battle mechanics can be weird (Looking at you Bersaria), but god damn, do I love this series.

Even used to own the Symphonia Gamecube console, which was unfortunately stolen from me.

I always advise people, you want a good JRPG? Go Tales.

Looking forward as to what is coming soon to the franchise as it's been a while now since we had a mainline game.

donaldgx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
congrats to them o/
had my share of fun with phantasia gba and later symphonia. It's a shame that there are many japan exclusive tales titles, maybe someday they will get ported/localized to virtual consoles if anything

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a series of games I'd love to get into, but trying to keep track of the story (not a big deal I suppose, but I do have something of a chronology hard on for some game series), on top of them being what I can only assume are at least double-digit length RPGs (if any of the good ones are 100+ hours...) makes it something that you really have to have dedication for. Not to mention, trying to patch the older games (60 FPS patches for Symphonia and the 2 or three translations of Phantasia, depending on whether you're playing the SFC or PS1 version) and configure everything to work as it should with emulators, and the games that never made it over here. (It seems like there's a sizable number of them and most of the ones that didn't make it are some of the PS2 games if I remember right)

#FirstWorldProblems

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a series of games I'd love to get into, but trying to keep track of the story (not a big deal I suppose, but I do have something of a chronology hard on for some game series), on top of them being what I can only assume are at least double-digit length RPGs (if any of the good ones are 100+ hours...) makes it something that you really have to have dedication for. Not to mention, trying to patch the older games (60 FPS patches for Symphonia and the 2 or three translations of Phantasia, depending on whether you're playing the SFC or PS1 version) and configure everything to work as it should with emulators, and the games that never made it over here. (It seems like there's a sizable number of them and most of the ones that didn't make it are some of the PS2 games if I remember right)

#FirstWorldProblems

most of the tales entries are standalone. Off the top of my head

Tales of Symphonia + Dawn of the New world and Tales of Phantasia share a world (symphonia is ~3k years before the events of phantasia)

Xillia and Xillia 2 are related

Zestiria and Berseria are related(Berseria is a long time period before Zestiria)

everything else I think is completely standalone and has little to no bearing on the plot.

Yes these jrpgs are pretty long but not the longest jrpgs.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Symphonia and Vesperia were very good games.

After that I played Tales of the Abyss and Graces, which were no fun at all for me. Too talkative, boring characters and a pacing out of hell.

I think thats the main problem with the series. They are strechted 60 h+ games, but they could be 30 h+. Sometimes less is more.

Reactions: osaka35

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
why is this even news? 20 millions is nothing... some games get much higher numbers on a single entry lol, for an ip with as much games as this 20 millions seems really low imo, nothing to celebrate.I mean this series has 17 main games so its barely even sold a million of each game...

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Alright, I would have let it go but I understand now. The reason why @Chary refuses to post real sources is that she is afraid that people may call her out for stealing other sites’ articles. In fact, before Chary joined the magazine staff, GBAtemp’s news articles always were properly credited, like other sites’, like they should. GBAtemp’s articles now - actually, only articles posted by Chary - lack journalistic integrity. Calling herself a “senior editor” is an insult to all magazine staff who came before her. She is the cancer that GBAtemp needs to get rid of in order to regain its journalistic credibility. Honestly I wouldn’t care what she does if I could put her in my ignore list to not be bothered by her stolen articles every time I visit the damn front page.

Plus that girl is still salty that a mere non-native english speaker like myself wrote better news posts with proper crediting than she ever did. That’s she reason why she likes to use the salt excuse whenever referring to me. To mask her own saltiness. Lulz.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I would have let it go but I understand now. The reason why @Chary refuses to post real sources is that she is afraid that people may call her out for stealing other sites’ articles. In fact, before Chary joined the magazine staff, GBAtemp’s news articles always were properly credited, like other sites’, like they should. GBAtemp’s articles now - actually, only articles posted by Chary - lack journalistic integrity. Calling herself a “senior editor” is an insult to all magazine staff who came before her. She is the cancer that GBAtemp needs to get rid of in order to regain its journalistic credibility. Honestly I wouldn’t care what she does if I could put her in my ignore list to not be bothered by her stolen articles every time I visit the damn front page.

Plus that girl is still salty that a mere non-native english speaker like myself wrote better news posts with proper crediting than she ever did. That’s she reason why she likes to use the salt excuse whenever referring to me. To mask her own saltiness. Lulz.
Ahahahahaha.
Hahahaha.
Oh no.
Oh no, you're actually serious.
You're that salty.
You're that blind.
You're that bothered.
You're that STUPID.

I guess you're not just rusty on Japanese, but also common sense and logic, too. I was gonna just ignore your little pathetic whining, but if you wanna tango, let's go.

You're so astronomically unsettled by being ousted from the magazine staff, that you've held onto a petty grudge against me for over a year. Which is amusing, because I was just giving your pathetically plagiarized attempts at writing some criticism. But oh well.

Before I joined the magstaff, the news was YouTube links without words, pun-filled casual pieces by Gahars, and highly opinionated snark from Guild. T-hug was the one to change all that, with Prans and I helping in that quest.

I don't call myself anything but my name, but Costello, T-hug, and Shaun all agreed on the role of Senior Editor. There's three more to add to your petty grudge list, I suppose!

You wanna talk stolen articles, eh? You really must be projecting hard. Every source I give is to the direct, initial, original announcement. Just because you're lacking some brain cells does not make the source incorrect. Unless you want to go call out literally every other news site ever. Please do point out even one piece of news that's plagiarized. Except you can't. You just cry about it instead, because YOU were the one found to be copy-pasting Siliconera's stuff word-for-word like the utter bumbling buffoon that you are. Scarlet, T-hug and I ALL called you out on that shameful display.

Ever since I said that you were salty for being ejected from the magstaff, you started using the word salty to refer to me. I guess that's all you can do, though. Copy others' words and claim they're your own.

You're walking a fine line, with every single member of the moderation and magstaff laughing at you whenever you open your fool mouth. Sit down, shut up, and for your own sake, CEASE.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

I normally don't bite to these kind of things, but this is really for you - http://bfy.tw/Nc6L

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Fucking lame. Thread viewed 1000 times and only one reply that doesnt even answer what I asked.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.
    I mean. All I ask was for people to see if ONE, SINGLE website is working properly in edge. 1000 people see it but cant be bothered at all
    Ready to just leave this place anyway. The amount of shit talking and bullying behavior that goes unchecked is crazy. No where else do I see this shit towards me and others. Not even on reddit have I been talked to like I have here by other members
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I did read the last sentence in your post by the way. Maybe try changing the privacy settings in your browser to standard if that works.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I've also heard that Chromium-based browsers will stop working with ad-blockers.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Please dont go we need you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I really learned not to give a fuck what others do online it's helped ease my mind try it sometime.
    @SylverReZ That reply to you was when we werent on good terms. lol. I tried everything. Changing privacy settings etc.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Fuck Chromium. Firefox 4evar.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    (Firefox 4 now, anyway. Let's see if they pull some crap too.)
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Netscape ftw
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Funny enough went to download chrome Bing gave error installed Firefox fine
    +1
    Thing is , the videos work fine in the Edge Dev and Canary builds. But whatever the fix they made was, has never been pushed to Beta or Stable builds. Its been that way for as far back as I tested. Which was Edge 84. They are on 125 now.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Yeah, and I was in quite a mood at that time. I would consider choosing Firefox or Opera instead, been using Firefox for over 7 years now than Chrome.
    Tried contacting Nintendo to see if they can reach out to MS about it. But Nintendo said the videos are working fine. Without enough people saying no, they don't work fine, it will never get fixed.
    I have Firefox and used it for many years. But Edge runs noticible faster on my pc at both opening and loading pages.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I don't think Nintendo will know anything about troubleshooting Edge. They mostly do technical support regarding their console family.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell them you downloaded their trailer without permission
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Good one, Ken.
    Right. But they could create a ticket that gets forwarded to the proper team. I think Nintendo would care that their videos aren't working on a major browser
    LOL K3N. HAHAH!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My left eyes hitting random pain for whatever reason allergy cold bring it on
    Dont know why FF is slower on my pc either. Tried all the "speed up firefox" tricks but notta.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Dont know why FF is slower on my pc either. Tried all the "speed up firefox" tricks but notta.