The switch's graphics are the exact same as the wii u's?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by KevinX8, Jan 13, 2017.

1. KevinX8
    OP

KevinX8 Proud user of The Dark Theme

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Is it just me or all the games they showed off have the exact same graphical quality as the wii u's? like mk8.5 graphically is identical, same from spla2n,BoTW, none of the revealed games look any different. I play only on pc and 3ds/wii u and I'm almost 100% sure they are the same or maybe I'm missing something here?

2. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The difference is pretty noticeable in BotW. Word is it's running at 900p upscaled to 1080p on Switch and almost certainly less than that on WiiU, maybe 720p upscaled. I'll see if I can't find some comparison shots, but it's definitely harder to tell on a compressed video stream.

3. KevinX8
    OP

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    I only noticed the biggest diff in breath of the wild with performance and colour depth, visually looked about the same

4. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    The thing i noticed in most trailers is the lack of anti aliasing wich the Wii U also lacked and for me atleast is def a must at 1080P. But seeing the lack of anti aliasing also probably means it's def underpowered.

5. KevinX8
    OP

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    In the mario trailer the lack of AA is very obvious, the buildings looked terribly aliased in the background, Other than that title the other ones seemed to be adequately AA'd

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ok yeah I see the switch has more detailed geometry and larger draw distance, the wii u one seems to be using heavier ambient occulusion and bloom. It's really hard tell much else from these screenshots thought

6. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It runs FXAA docked and fast-FXAA portable. Possible that Nintendo games aren't using AA at all, though.

[​IMG]

Yeah, the best comparison point I think are the enemies in the background. They're closer to link in the WiiU screenshot, but they're still sharper and clearer further back in the Switch shot.

Last edited by Xzi, Jan 13, 2017
  7. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    All this talk about power/graphics, I wonder if this will pull away some people from "I'll just buy and play it on the Wii U" camp.

DeoNaught likes this.
  8. KevinX8
    OP

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    These screenshots are not the best for comparing sharpness and clarity, the wii u one has a disclaimer that it is not of the highest quality so that can't really be deducted from that.
    What's 100% sure thought is the wii u version is running at 720p and the switch one 1080p so that would affect sharpness and clarity

Last edited by KevinX8, Jan 14, 2017
    Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  9. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    If your only interest is BotW and you already have a WiiU, I doubt you're gonna go buy a whole new console. OTOH, BotW will be the last game for WiiU, so you wouldn't get Splatoon 2 or the new Mario or any of that.

10. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Keep in mind that many of the games they've showed off were actually built for the Wii U: Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2 (its clearly not built from the ground up but rather building off of the first game), and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

11. KevinX8
    OP

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Yeah I used these for comparison since the others have no wii u counter part, but come on they can just turn up the settings on the engine or even something along those lines not just copy and paste.

12. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah, it's the best comparison shot I can find for now. Since they're both just shots of video streams, both versions will look clearer and sharper on the consoles themselves.

13. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Mario Odyssey definitely looks like a game that would not graphically run on the WiiU. Those graphics look pretty amazing to me but moreso the gameplay and areas. Oh, the music! :wub:

KingVamp and Xzi like this.
  14. KevinX8
    OP

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Yeah the switch had to have no AA in the new york esque area just to reach 60fps (it looks more like the thing they use on consoles thought where only parts of the screen run at 60fps like on halo 5 star wars battlefield etc) The wii u would definetly not reach nintendo's target fps. The switch seems to be much better performance wise but graphically very similiar. They do take the cartoonistic approach to all their games thought, maybe a game with more realistic gritty graphics can shine a light on this?

Last edited by KevinX8, Jan 14, 2017
  15. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah that trailer really stood out. I was looking through some screenshots of GTA5 for comparison, and in a lot of ways they actually managed to make a more realistic city in Mario. The street signs especially look higher quality and more true to life.