Hacking The SuperCard DSTWO Beginner's Guide: How to Setup the DSTWO

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. Ordering this now. Thanks for the help Terminator!

One more thing: Will the pokemon gba roms clock function work on it's own or does it need patching? (Is that what the game_config.txt file listed in the guide is for?)
IIRC having game_config.txt makes the clock work properly.
From my experience, the game wouldn't even boot without game_config.txt
Ah yes, it was with NDAGBA v1.21 that they added support for the real time clock, you're right about game_config.txt just being for the compatibility.

Any DS/lite/i/XL can do it as long as you have the latest EOS on the Micro SD card.
And, please bear with me, I'm not too familiar with these things and their vocabulary. Does the DSTWO come with a preinstalled EOS? If it does, I have no way of telling if the one I ordered has the last one installed. Now, to have the latest EOS, I would download the v1.11 EOS and unpack "ds2boot.dat" as well as the "_dstwo" folder in the root of my SD card, or does it require additional steps? Do I need to run it once to set up the EOS before running it with the update package or something?
No, it comes preinstalled with a firmware. The EOS is loaded directly off of your Micro SD card, so you update the EOS by updating the files on your SD card.

It does not require additional setup, you can then extract the patch files as well and overwrite the relevant files.

simplygemini

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm planning on getting a DStwo very soon, I have just one question before I place my order though:
My 3ds XL's current firmware is Ver 4.1.0-8U, if I want to update my DStwo, how should I go about updating it? The first trick or the 3 minute trick? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I find the posts on the first page rather ambiguous? Or maybe my english is just not good enough. I've also heard that you cannot perform a DStwo update on a 3DS or something along those lines ><

the first trick is under "How to update your DSTwo's firmware to work on a 3DS (Updated for 3DS v4.4.0-10)"
and the 3 minute trick is under "How to update your DSTWO's firmware on a 3DS"

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm planning on getting a DStwo very soon, I have just one question before I place my order though:
My 3ds XL's current firmware is Ver 4.1.0-8U, if I want to update my DStwo, how should I go about updating it? The first trick or the 3 minute trick? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I find the posts on the first page rather ambiguous? Or maybe my english is just not good enough. I've also heard that you cannot perform a DStwo update on a 3DS or something along those lines ><

the first trick is under "How to update your DSTwo's firmware to work on a 3DS (Updated for 3DS v4.4.0-10)"

You should ask your flashcart reseller to update the flashcart to the latest firmware for you. When a new 3DS firmware update comes out, you should wait for Team Supercard to release their firmware and then update the DSTWO (with the "first trick" )while still on the older 3DS firmware. You can then update the 3DS firmware and regain online access.

simplygemini

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You should ask your flashcart reseller to update the flashcart to the latest firmware for you. When a new 3DS firmware update comes out, you should wait for Team Supercard to release their firmware and then update the DSTWO (with the "first trick" )while still on the older 3DS firmware. You can then update the 3DS firmware and regain online access.

Thanks for clearing that up!. I'm gonna place my order now :P

guledk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got a problem where I can't see any of my DS roms whenever I load DS_GAME menu. I've never seen this happen before since I first got my DSTWO a year ago. Does anyone know how to fix this?

It's cool, I sorted it out!

MagusDraco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to view what firmware your DSTwo is using? It is not working with my 3DS even though I have flashed the firmware to 1.18 with my DSLite.

It's weird. On my DSLite, the DSTwo sees the file on the sdcard, asks to initiate the upgrade, shows the upgrade and finishes it successfully, but when I put it back into my 3DS, I still get that "An Error has Occured" message. Kinda stumped at this point.

edit: 3DS is on 4.40-10U

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to view what firmware your DSTwo is using? It is not working with my 3DS even though I have flashed the firmware to 1.18 with my DSLite.

It's weird. On my DSLite, the DSTwo sees the file on the sdcard, asks to initiate the upgrade, shows the upgrade and finishes it successfully, but when I put it back into my 3DS, I still get that "An Error has Occured" message. Kinda stumped at this point.

Sounds like the DSTWO isn't properly connecting to the 3DS.

MagusDraco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's not good. Holding it pushed down farther than normal has done nothing. It shows the proper fake game on the main menu (Alex Rider), though I just noticed the game disappear after going into and exiting the 3ds settings. Guess that's the problem. Any suggestions beyond cleaning DSTwo contacts off? Also, just use a little alcohol on a q-tip or what?

seaweavil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I just recieved my Supercard DSTWO in the mail today and I have been trying to get it to work on my 3DS XL for the past few hours. I also have a DSi XL that I am able to get the card to work on. I followed all of the instructions as seen in this tutorial and as well as on the SC site. I have updated it to 1.18 on the DSi XL and yet it still goes to the error screen everytime I try to boot it on my 3DS XL. The game it shows up as is Alex Rider... so I'm guessing the card isn't updating even though it tells me it's on 1.18 and when I update it, it says it's successful. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.

I noticed others having the same issue.... I'm wondering if the card is fake? My 3DS is on 4.3.0-10

seaweavil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It keeps the Alex Rider icon, unlike other carts the DSTwo doesn't need to change icons all the time.

Do you have the EoS and all the files on the MicroSD inside the DSTwo? It needs all those files to boot, unlike other carts that can try to boot without a properly-set MicroSD.

Thanks for responding so quickly. Yes I do. I followed the tutorial step by step. I'm pretty well informed on how to do most of these things and I read a lot and try several things before I revert to asking questions because I know that the answer is usually somewhere but everything I've tried has got me nowhere.

going down00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How risky is it to update the DSTWO firmware in a 3ds? "How to update your DSTWO's firmware on a 3DS"

Is it only risky if you mash a bunch of buttons or the power shuts off?

If you do it exactly as discribed what is the chance the DSTWO will get bricked?

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How risky is it to update the DSTWO firmware in a 3ds? "How to update your DSTWO's firmware on a 3DS"

If you do it exactly as discribed what is the chance the DSTWO will get bricked?
The risk is fairly low if you follow the instructions. In the future you should wait for DSTWO firmware updates, then update your DSTWO firmware using the normal method on your 3DS BEFORE updating your 3DS.

Edit: @MagusDraco it's probably something that you can't fix, you can ask the shop that you bought it from to replace it since it doesn't function on your 3DS.

@seaweavil it's not fake, there are no significant DSTWO fakes, you are probably having connection problems as well.

going down00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The risk is fairly low if you follow the instructions. In the future you should wait for DSTWO firmware updates, then update your DSTWO firmware using the normal method on your 3DS BEFORE updating your 3DS.

Will do when there is a new update out.

My issue is that this is a brand new 3ds and my first time with this flash cart. I found a DS Lite to use though so issue is solved. Thanks for the help.

MagusDraco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's not good. Holding it pushed down farther than normal has done nothing. It shows the proper fake game on the main menu (Alex Rider), though I just noticed the game disappear after going into and exiting the 3ds settings. Guess that's the problem. Any suggestions beyond cleaning DSTwo contacts off? Also, just use a little alcohol on a q-tip or what?

Anyway you were right Terminator. It was the card. I ordered a new one and updated it to 1.18 and it works fine. There is something on the contacts of the old card in a few spots, going to try to clean them off to see if it'll work on the 3ds also.

edit: As for the shop, I'm unsure which shop I bought it from since it could be from one of two places. I'll figure something out though. Thanks for your advice.

edit the edit: yeah the contacts of the old one look like they scraped against something a bit or have some imperfections; didn't bother to actually clean it. The card also was a tight fit in the ds lite and 3ds. The newer one fits more like a regular DS cartridge. I may replace the old one or just keep it around for the dslite since it works in there fine.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't want to make a new thread for this, but my DStwo will sometimes repeat the last four or so pixels on the bottom of both screens when I boot a rom. Usually it goes away when I go to the menu and boot it again, but it's still kind of annoying. anyone else have this problem?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome