• Love
Reactions: SylverReZ and Veho

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had 2 hours to kill on a job so I watched finding nemo in a store front. It was on like 50 flat tvs and was quite the immersive experience until the sales guy would bring customers in the way of the best view!

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Going per the 'not designed for that', it would be the DS via Moonshell.

Although I did use to watch heavily compressed TV shows on those old MP4 players and compressed a Red Dwarf episode down enough to fit onto a 32mb mSD card for an old phone then later my iPod classic 6g.

I did once try to get a video encoder for the Mega CD working, but it wouldn't compile.

Now that I think about it though, I wonder how badly a rooted ereader could play Tenet?

Edit:

Just realised we're probably going to make ourselves all look old and weird to the tablet/smartphone generations.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The GBA I guess. Many would consider it a stupid way to watch movies.

But to be honest, I've watched stuff on TVs that were so old and broken and crappy, they were way worse than the GBA.

Reactions: JustABadger

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sometimes we can’t watch movies on things that weren’t designed for that, but we still do it. What’s your story?

in middle school I had a cheap digital camera without a speaker. I also had a cheap mp3 player. I recorded a movie off the TV and then ripped the audio off the video I made, to put it in my mp3 and sync the two devices. All for a 4 hours car trip. I didn’t consider the fact that looking at small screens in a car SUCKS.
I watched a couple full movies on a 1st gen iPod Nano. The screen on that thing wasn't much bigger than an average postage stamp. Had to use Rockbox since it had no video playback support out of the box. It was more for the novelty since it was such an impractical way to watch movies.

However, I legitimately watched (and enjoyed) like half of Naruto on my original DS with Moonshell. The subtitles were so low resolution they were barely readable, but it was good enough. Every morning on the bus to school, I would watch an episode. Every afternoon on the way back, same thing. Smartphones weren't a thing yet so it was actually a not bad way to watch videos on the go when the only other option was a laptop which is not very practical to use on the bus. I might've been able to encode videos to 3gp and watch them on my phone but it would've been both lower quality, and lower resolution, and on a smaller screen to boot. 3gp was 144p vs. the DS' 192p.

whopooted

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had one of those 2003 era Video Now players with a handful of episodes of spongebob on it. Would watch that on repeat whenever I was grounded as a kid.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I used to use Nero Recode 2 (for it's GPU-accelerated encoding speed, there was nothing else like it at the time) to re-encode videos for my Play-Yan Micro and watch Anime on my Gameboy Advance that way in really good quality. METEO player ain't SHIT. Nintendo made a great little H.263 MP4 player for the GBA. I regret selling mine.

• Love
Reactions: Veho

SylverReZ

GBATemp's Amiga Owner
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oooh, I got something for this one.

In college, converting VOB files to MP4 for iPod Video's was the big thing. I forget the tool, but I remember the program: Only free one of its kind, big window, slow converting, would desync audio of really long clips. Anyway, we would try to watch MP4's on a tiny iPod Video at inappropriate times, and I did end up watching all of Cowboy Bebop: The Movie that way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Warm balls in the winter +2