the story of fez?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
this indie game is on a sale i was thinking about purchasing it however... i recall some controversy from before, i seen some hate on the developer can someone give me the story about this game?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The dev is kind of an ass who doesn't know how to shut his mouth. People insulted him (as is usual on the internet - everyone gets insulted at some point), he insulted them, things escalated, and eventually he ragequit the game industry and now he's a DJ. FEZ is a pretty great game IMO though.

dafatkid27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Has it been confirmed that this is actually his account? I haven't really been following along with the whole Fish Saga. The name misspelling is a bit strange.

it's not. this was: https://twitter.com/phil_fish
he was in and out of twitter and then was a little active around when gamergate started and then got doxxed at some point during it: http://i.imgur.com/uDIaZkE.jpg

and then he deleted the account. quite a shame actually, i thought he was pretty hilarious, and people took his tweets too seriously. but he did take offense pretty easily, so it was never going to end well.

oh- and buy FEZ. it's incredible. one of the most beautiful and immersive games i've ever played. the soundtrack alone is majestic.

Reactions: frogboy

Tiffani

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was ok. If you like the overly pixelated look, you'll like the graphics. The gameplay is somewhat interesting, with the rotation hook. If you like puzzle games, you might like it. I played it through the IGC on PS4 but never finished it. I lost interest after a few hours.
And yeah, Fish is one of the developers and he's an ass.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
Fez is okay, nothing <that> special, the dev is just 'internet infamous' now.

He might be an asshole but whatever, give 'im five bucks if you like the look of his game on youtube.

I didn't like that one Project Zomboid dev for his twitter suicide rant, but now I'm on board, love the game.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you care to learn about the development of Fez and other indie games and perhaps make up your own mind about Phil Fish re: his attitude, I'd suggest locating and watching the documentary "Indie Game: The Movie".
You can find it in all the usual places where people don't pay for things.

sblast3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a very meh game. If you're into indie games and can get it cheap, you may like it.

The Best Gamers did a pretty funny review for it on Youtube (Note that it's completely negative).

Reactions: Gahars

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The thing is that indies put their heart and soul into their game. To an outsider, this can seem rather strange or even bizarre (see: indie game: the movie, in which Phil Fish featured). He certainly took offense at others not liking the game as much, which in the end resulted in the cancellation of Fez 2 (in other words: roughly what was said by others).

This whole thing is completely separate from the game itself, which is pretty decent and original. So if you want to buy it, then by all means do.

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well recently it has come to light that phil fish was working with another person in his company (polytron) that quit. he used most if not all of his code for fez without permission but as it was company property he got away with it. he didn't make fez 2 because he literally can't, he is a terrible coder riding on other peoples work. hell there has been talk about collusion to help fez win because its investors were some of the judges at International Festival of Independent Games where it got ton's of awards.

http://gamesnosh.com/fez-investors-outed-judges-2011-igf-award/

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's Phil Fish in a minute.

He then came back and pulled the exact same shit, followed by him giving up Polytron and the Fez IP. He now DJ's parties for Double Fine.

As for Fez itself? Honestly, wait for a sale or another humble bundle. It's a fine little game, but I don't think it's nearly as good as the hype builds it up to be. It's kind of lacking in terms of depth (ha ha) and I tired of it after a few hours. There's better indie titles out there if you've got the hankering.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"