The "Start" Button - Replaced for the Newest Consoles

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Ryukouki, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Ashtonx

Ashtonx n0l1f3

Oct 31, 2013
    Poland
    So um.. how the hell do i access start menu then ?

2. Hadrian

Hadrian Everybofy knows badgers like MASH POTATOES!

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    United States
    Nintendo will keep them forever, even if it's purely for the retro stuff.

beta4attack likes this.
  3. Ashtonx

Ashtonx n0l1f3

Oct 31, 2013
    Poland
    Just took a look at ps4 controller.. so they removed it to add 'share' button ? ... omfg and for xbox guessing by the icon it's something like an alt+tab... well at least one of them is useful

4. emigre

emigre An electric type pokemons

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    I'm surprised people actually give a shit about this. As long functionality is retained, who actually cares about he number of buttons?

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    A Share and Options button. The Options button basically does what the start used to do.

6. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    in saints row 3rd/4 the start button brings up the save/quit menu. While the select button brings up a menu for several different things, such as your map and quest list. If the game gets ported over at some point, I guess more "apps" will be added to the saint's phone or the save/quit menu will be made as another choice in the select menu.

7. Mythrix

Mythrix GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2006
    I guess it makes perfect sense to remove/rename the button(s). After all, no games actually depend on the Start button to start the game anymore (if ever). Or to use the Select button to select anything. It's like that old Windows joke, "Why is it that you have to press the Start button to stop the computer?" :P

So yeah, renaming is fine. Rest in peace! You both had a good run and will be remembered with fondness. :)

8. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

Mar 3, 2010
    United States

Oh no it is a grammar NAVI...Worse then Link's normal Navi

Ammako and TyBlood13 like this.
  9. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Fan

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    I love the start button, but if you think about it, it doesn't really make sense anymore. If anything it is more appropriate to call it "menu", as that is usually what it ends up being. I think Nintendo made a good choice in using + and - in that they are no longer associated with one specific purpose. A "start" button implies that the only thing it does is start the game and then it is entirely useless. A "menu" button is just the opposite, where it opens or closes the menu and that's it. By calling the buttons something more generic developers are open to use it however they want, although many will stick to the conventional uses of the old start button.

As a side note, + and - was a good idea for backwards compatibility, but in the future I see no reason for a minus (or "select") button as this is pretty rarely used.

10. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    Antarctica
    The Forge
    They have a big touch pad on the controller. If it's needed to have a select button for a game, it can be easily mapped on the pad. It's even a clickable pad.

11. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!

Such substance to your life, no?

12. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Maybe she is a Microsoft employee.

The Milkman likes this.
  13. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Earth
    Like mentioned already, Wii U has "+(Start)" and "-(Select)" button. It even says it on the controller.

14. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    The PC Engine had a run button instead of start, I'll manage.

15. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    The Sega MasterSystem never had a start or select button.....

16. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Well have you ever tried using just your phone's touch screen to play Super Mario Brothers or Pilotwings? After all, as long as functionality is retained who actually cares about the number of buttons, right?

17. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Though for older games brought over having to use a short press for start and a long press for select is going to be a pain (and no, you can't just map the "share" button to start or select because that is used for sharing). Or I guess they could map select to L2 and start to R2.

18. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Complexity in gaming seems to progress in an arch and not so much of an upward trend. We hit the peak during the xbox/PS2/gc era and since then everything has been getting more streamlined and losing complexity in every iteration. In about 10 -20 years, we'll have gone back to a knob and maybe a button (or more likely a touchpad). At least the games will be prettier.

19. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Yeah, the rumble feature is really immersive; I think it might be better than the PS3's.

WhiteMaze likes this.
  20. Smuff

Smuff Fossilized Gamer

Jul 29, 2006
    By the sea
    I genuinely couldn't give a flying fuck at a rolling donut.

You are welcome.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted