shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
their still on the wii u just renamed to plus and minus

Ya thanks. Was just looking that up.
They still have start and select under those buttons so essentially they are still the start and select button.
From what I've seen though the other consoles call them Menu and Options. I don't think they mix with the guide button but if they do it is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
Imagine getting stuck at a start menu trying to get the guide to pop up.
Then again I'm pretty sure they wont do that.

Actually the Ouya is another example.
One of the reasons I didn't buy it.
Why, why remove a good button?

Select I also thing is a good idea though, one dedicated for menus and another for pausing.
Sure extra buttons are overkill but I'd rather have them than go without.
Not like it costs all that much more to design a start and select button in the controller heh.

Then again not much a loss either, controllers have all these new gimmicks so I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I didn't notice this until I heard about the PS4 controller's button being called the "Share" button. So long as they serve the same purpose, I guess it doesn't bother me. I mean, I guess there's something nostalgic about that "Press START" flashing at the bottom of the screen, but a lot of games just say "Press X to START" instead. So it's pretty similar.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I didn't notice this until I heard about the PS4 controller's button being called the "Share" button. So long as they serve the same purpose, I guess it doesn't bother me. I mean, I guess there's something nostalgic about that "Press START" flashing at the bottom of the screen, but a lot of games just say "Press X to START" instead. So it's pretty similar.
Both Start and Select were merged on the PS4 controller. Now it's called the OPTIONS button.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that. Though the placement is the same, so it still doesn't really mean much. It'd be more notice worthy if they got rid of the two buttons completely. They're still there, in a sense, just rebranded.

BloodShed

Gamer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "Start" and "Select" buttons ... have been vanquished from the ... Nintendo Wii U.
What are you talking about? Like other's have said, they're both still on the Wii U.

Wii-U-Gamepad.jpg

wii-u-controller-new.jpg

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well, even the Wii had + and - instead of start and select. But it's not a big deal really, I think the only thing I ever thought of the start button was "Pause".

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I would say it is more about nostalgia then actual need/use for those buttons.

But I do have to agree with Ryukouki on the fact that I will certainly miss the "Press Start" screens. There's something weirdly warm and fuzzy and exciting about that.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What happens to the Select button now? :unsure: It was useful for multiplayer games for showing/hiding the scoreboard, and I've already seen PS4 gameplay on YouTube where people have pressed the Share button by accident.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Both Start and Select were merged on the PS4 controller. Now it's called the OPTIONS button.

So I guess for older games that are "ported" over you will use a short press for start and a longer press for select or something like that? Or perhaps they will make L2 select and R2 start?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1