The Spit Valve

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sop, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Sop
    OP

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    I love the sound of trumpets..

But any instrument that requires a 'spit valve' could maybe use a bit more fine tweaking.

For hundreds of years the trumpet has been around; at what point did we decide 'nah fuck it, that'll do' and just become okay with a quart of spit sitting inside our instruments?

Now I'm no trumpet technician, nor player. I'm just saying that in the span of 70 odd years. We've gone from silent films to high definition tellies in almost every house in and developed country.

SURELY we must have evolved past the point, in the last however many hundred years, of having the need to manually release spit from our instruments.

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    EoF?

Also, mind fixing your font?
    It's unreadable on the dark theme.

3. Sop
    OP

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    No, this is a serious topic. I want to know if anyone has thought of a solution to this problem.

Also, what font would you recommend?

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Meh, I feel it gets derailed quickly and gets moved to the EoF anyway.

Edit your tect with the BB editor and remove the colours.
    That should revert everything to the default colours and be readable for both dark and normal theme users.

5. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Because the alternative would be having spit drip down the instrument onto the ground while you play? I mean, really, some things don't leave much room for improvement. The majority of instruments fall into the category of "as complete and improved as it's realistically going to get".

6. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    Make a new design. Add a hose that sucks all the spit into a container that sits beside you. You can thank me when this design makes you millions :)

7. Sop
    OP

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    We put a man on the moon yet we can't figure out a way of automatically releasing spit from our instruments without dripping it all over ourselves like toddlers.

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Psst many of the "films" are technically of a higher definition than your TV.

The short version is I can control atoms and electrons with it getting better all the time. The sack of meat that wanders around directing it has not changed in such a way as to be useful to this.

Two options if this is really an issue.
    1) Some seriously hydrophilic substance instead. It would be germ city but that is OK, I figure musicians need to be made of sterner stuff.
    2) The bagpipe approach or bagpipe approach gone technical. Bagpipes make a sack of air which is used to make sound, you then need some way of making a sack of air. Gone technical does the same thing but probably using a variable blow switch.

9. DiabloStorm

DiabloStorm Five Gold Star Medalist

May 29, 2011
    Japan
    Charicific Valley
    Yeah, it's called computer programs, no spit or physical instruments involved. I'm absolutely sure there's something out there.

10. Sop
    OP

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    A bad alternative. Synths can never truly replicate the sound of an instrument. And besides, you can't have soul with a synth.

11. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Play the acoustic guitar and wear dark sunglasses with your tweed jacket.

Problem solved, nerd.

BortzANATOR likes this.
  12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    So part 1) just needs more science (or more likely just a bit of random distortion) and part 2) does not exist/is otherwise known as point and laugh at the third rate audiophile.

Hardly insurmountable problems.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  13. marcus134

marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2011
    Canada
    Québec
    That's actually the point of a spit valve, it allow you to control where and when the spit is released. If it goes everywhere when you do it, it's because you're blowing to much or you're not opening the valve completely.
    You can't leave the hole open to let it drip as you play cause it'll affect the sound.
    Some way I could see would to design a trumpet in such way that spit would naturally flow toward the bell and then either drip or get projected in front of you, which would cause people to consider the trumpet as a disgusting instrument.

I haven't played some trumpet for years but if I remember well, depending on how much you're salivating, you should be able to get 20-30 min easily without having to empty it, also when it's time to empty it you got some kind feel, I can't really describe it cause it's been too long.

that wouldn't work since trumpet don't make sounds by blowing into the mouthpeice, you have to pinch you lips and make them vibrate, and depending on how you pinch you can access different pitch

14. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    The spit valves on the tuba are waaay worse than on a trumpet. I sometimes accidentally hit the spit valve when playing and it leaks all over my leg and this is a $15k instrument lol.

15. Sop
    OP

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    I don't actually play the trumpet, I like it's sound though. I do play the saxophone which also has a spit valve.

Reason for this thread: People emptying their instruments all over the floor after band practice.