The SPIRIT and the ESSENCE of GBAtemp should be more present today.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
This sentence from the GBAtemp History (https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/GBAtemp.net#History)

About half a year into the forums life, the staff had to come to the decision that ROMs would no longer be available to download from GBAtemp, and all warez and other illegal material would be ruled out on the forum.

. The reason this was done is because a lot of members and the staff themselves had really come to appreciate the forums and each other, and didn't want to risk losing the community they had built up.

P.S.
Yes,of course console hacking/modding is also the main essence and the spirit of this great community.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
No the opposite.

Sometimes it is better to copy the WHOLE ARTICLE into but then comes the famous TL: DR:
Sorry this is my fault.
I really believed that posted links are read these days as well.:sad:

Sorry for my incompetence.:(

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
BUILD a site and teach others how to mod [insert name of console here] =LEGAL
BUILD a site and try to get rich hosting ads=DIRTY JOB

it's 2019, better let others do the dirty job. :)

Reactions: Alexander1970

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
are you saying you want roms on the site? i dont understand the point of this post
No the opposite.

Sometimes it is better to copy the WHOLE ARTICLE into but then comes the famous TL: DR:
Sorry this is my fault.
I really believed that posted links are read these days as well.:sad:

Sorry for my incompetence.:(

Okay...so you're basically saying the forum moderators do a good job of censoring/banning people mentioning sites where one could obtain roms? :unsure:

Sorry, but I still don't understand the point of this thread. I'm all in favor of our mods doing this: it's better to have a site with decent guides and people helping following said guides to hacking/modding but no roms, than not having a site at all. But...this is all kind of obvious...

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

I see this is going in the complete false direction......

Starting with this yesterday:

https://gbatemp.net/questions/gbate...ad-gba-roms-why-the-change.4469/#answer-14447

GBATemp now is anti-piracy ( i meant rom sharing is not allowed ) but when the site started, i was a site do download GBA Roms. Why the change?
Carlos_Knijnik
Yesterday at 4:35 AM
Title.
» 3 Answers

THERE i found this Link from @Costello :

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/GBAtemp.net#History

I read through it and thinked,hey a good idea to point maybe "new" users to that Rom stuff story.
Why ? If you read through the DS Forum mainly there comes near every Day a question about a "LINK" to a Rom.

And i was SOOOOO dumb to think,EVERYBODY READS the Story from the LINK in THE FIRST POST.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Interesting. I just have to say that I disagree with @Carlos_Knijnik. Yes, roms aren't allowed. But that's pretty strict for a definition of "being anti-piracy". There are plenty of tools linked, shared and discussed here that by themselves are useless unless you can come up with roms. Likewise but in reverse: it's not like finding roms on sites help you much unless you've got the right tools (emulators, mostly) to play them. So it's more that gbatemp serves as a complementary site to those other (shady) sites where you can get stuff.

To an extend, I agree that it would be nice if new users would indeed read the terms of service (y'know...this document). And if I'm not mistaken, this is still a checkbox new users have to click before their account becomes activated. But be it as it may, we have to be realistic: there'll always be a part of the population that...erm...refuses to accept information that doesn't stroke with their personal view of the world.

So I'm sure the moderators could modify things a bit so creating an account would go somewhat like this:

Potential user: damnit...I wanna play call of duty 27 but don't want to pay for it. I better look for some help on pirating my gameboy. *googles*
Potential user: hey: this site looks interesting...guides, tutorials, emulators...SWEET! Just what I need! :D *signs up*
Login prompt: hey, new user...you're going to behave on gbatemp, right?
Potential user: sure. Absolutely
Login prompt: I mean it: no swearing, asking for roms or eating fruit from this forbidden tree, okay?
Potential user: *thinking* forbidden tree? Damn, those are nice apples!
Potential user: Sure thing. :)
Login prompt: okay, then I'll activ...
User: *SHOUTING* HAAI F**** BIT****!!! ANYONE GOT A LINK TO CALL OF DUTY 27 ROMZZ???? OKTHXBYE
Loging prompt:...if I wasn't a bot I'd be counting the days to my retirement right now. :(

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you mean the camaraderie that was prevalent in the early days of the forum, is still alive and well, you just have to ignore the cockwombles :D

......... Except me, I can be a tit when my medication kicks in and my sarcasm isn’t recognised as humor :P

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@Talewaver i dont agree with rom sharing. i was just curious. srry i you didnt understand.
Erm...perhaps I was a bit unclear. It's the part where you wrote "GBATemp now is anti-piracy" that I disagree with. Yes, you clarified what you meant by it (the sharing of roms isn't allowed), but that doesn't mean my opinion changes.

Last edited by Taleweaver, , Reason: Wrote clear instead of unclear

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sentence from the GBAtemp History (https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/GBAtemp.net#History)

About half a year into the forums life, the staff had to come to the decision that ROMs would no longer be available to download from GBAtemp, and all warez and other illegal material would be ruled out on the forum.

. The reason this was done is because a lot of members and the staff themselves had really come to appreciate the forums and each other, and didn't want to risk losing the community they had built up.

P.S.
Yes,of course console hacking/modding is also the main essence and the spirit of this great community.
I'd rather nothing illegal to be posted, so we can keep the site, but I would kind of like mods to get a bit more after non mods modding, I was told yesterday (though guy thought I posted a link to a different subreddit so I understand) that he wasn't sure if I could link to the switch hacking subreddit, I see stuff like that too often, some people even complaining about people saying the name of certain sites.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
No need to be do defensive. I've read the history of GBAtemp... Hell I was even here (not registered until later though).
But I still don't understand what you mean that the spirit and essence should more present today.

There's a reason illegal things aren't allowed, just as you quoted in your first post. The site could poof into thin air, the community would be lost.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
No need to be do defensive. I've read the history of GBAtemp... Hell I was even here (not registered until later though).
But I still don't understand what you mean that the spirit and essence should more present today.

There's a reason illegal things aren't allowed, just as you quoted in your first post. The site could poof into thin air, the community would be lost.

Ok,one more try::)

As i explained here,it goes in the FALSE direction:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-spi...ld-be-more-present-today.541046/#post-8679601

Again: My intention was for NEW USERS to see WHAT happens if ROM stuff comes INTO here.
I don´t understand what is so difficult to understand on:

Quote from the Text:

"The reason this was done ( REMOVING ROM LINKS/STUFF) is because a lot of members and the staff themselves had really come to appreciate the forums and each other, and didn't want to risk losing the community they had built up."

That is meant with SPIRIT and ESSENCE -

- ROMS/LINKS - BAD !!!! GBAtemp FORUM IS GOING DOWN
- NO ROMS/LINKS - GOOD !! GBAtemp FORUM IS OK

Next time i give up......:cry:
Why does everyone believes I WANT ROMs/Links here ? :cry:

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok,one more try::)

As i explained here,it goes in the FALSE direction:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-spi...ld-be-more-present-today.541046/#post-8679601

Again: My intention was for NEW USERS to see WHAT happens if ROM stuff comes INTO here.
I don´t understand what is so difficult to understand on:

Quote from the Text:

"The reason this was done ( REMOVING ROM LINKS/STUFF) is because a lot of members and the staff themselves had really come to appreciate the forums and each other, and didn't want to risk losing the community they had built up."

That is meant with SPIRIT and ESSENCE -

- ROMS/LINKS - BAD !!!! GBAtemp FORUM IS GOING DOWN
- NO ROMS/LINKS - GOOD !! GBAtemp FORUM IS OK

Next time i give up......:cry:
Why does everyone believes I WANT ROMs/Links here ? :cry:

I got what you intended, I think, but whenever you mention ROMs, expect backlash, even if you were intending to say we’re better off without them.

Incidentally, I don’t think it would necessarily be a bad thing for all new users to get a page/pop-up during registration which simply states that ROMs, links to ROMs or asking for ROMs are not allowed in any part of the forums under any circumstances. It’s been so long since I registered I don’t remember if there is an unavoidable statement.

At least if there were some short notice of that which one was forced to read before completing registration, it might cut down on the stupid posts asking where to get them.
Might make the job of our poor, long suffering moderators easier....... I’m always available to help out :P

Last edited by Stwert,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1