The speed difference between 4 and 8.

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Tortimer, Jun 13, 2008.

Jun 13, 2008
  1. Tortimer
    OP

Newcomer Tortimer Advanced Member

Sweden
    How big is the speed difference between a 4GB Ultra II and an 8GB Ultra II?

Personally, I'd prefer more space, but if performance is heavily affected then I'd probably go with the 4GB.

2. solange82200

Member solange82200 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'd like to know this as well. I recently bought a 4gig, even though I really wanted an 8gig, because of people saying they are slower.

3. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    no diffrence imo.

4. diglett

Member diglett GBAtemp Regular

United States
    These are from the thread on Maxconsole, and the first belongs to IBNobody, a poster here.

These don't read as quickly as most 4gb cards.

5. Tortimer
    OP

Sweden
    But is it a huge difference or merely a couple of milliseconds?

Diglett: Those two cards are Lexar and Sony brands. Is this a serious problem with the Sandisks ultra II 8GB as well?

6. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    With PI of 370+, they'll run good number of games no problem.
    If you want ALL games running fast, then go with 4GB.

7. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    What exactly does PI relate to? I mean, I know the higher the better, but...Is it ever going to be necessary to have a PI in excess of 500? Even so, would it have that dramatic of a difference?

I'm saying this with an incredible level of PI on my stick, so I naturally don't know how it goes with a stick of even a third of its power. [​IMG];

8. SleepingDragon

Member SleepingDragon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There is a slight difference in performance, but imo, the advantage of extra space far outweighs having to wait an extra 3 nanoseconds for a rom to load up. I moved up from a 4 to an 8 and I wouldn't go back.

9. deathfisaro

Canada
    PI takes into account the write speed as well, so it's more of "overall" performance index. I don't care too much about write speed personally.

10MB/s read speed is enough for most cases. (Although 15+ is preferable)
    By most cases, I mean some games are bound to give you slowdowns and irritations.

Also 8GB Sandisk blackspeed:
    By judging from 1 Blackspeed result of each brand 8GB, Sony and Sandisk 4GB users are safer to move on to 8GB compared to Lexar 4GB users =P

But I've only seen one of 8GB speed tests, so I can't generalize too much.
    If you go from ~900PI Lexar stick to 8GB Lexar stick, I bet you'll feel the difference. (Did I already say this?)

10. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    You are right. I did notice. That's why I took back that Lexar 8GB and bought 2x 4GB's.

That Maxconsole blackspeed thread pretty much chronicles my search for the perfect MSPD. I even went so far as to call up an Amazon.uk retailer and arrange shipment of a MicroSDHC to MSPD adapter. (They had just been released and weren't available from any vendor catering to the USA.)

11. deathfisaro

Canada
    Are microSDHC to MSPD adapters any good?
    Because I saw some crappy results using an adapter, performance varies greatly depending on adapter I guess?

12. IBNobody

United States
    You probably saw my results. They were about as good as those 8GB cards I listed. I used a Peak MicroSDHC-to-MSPD adapter with the much loved A-Data 4GB MicroSDHC, and my max read speed was 8MiB's.

13. Tortimer
    OP

Sweden
    So if I understand this correctly; I get more out of owning an 8GB Ultra II than a 4GB Ultra II. I'd like to know since I'm buying a new stick tomorrow (11.00 GMT 15/6).

14. deathfisaro

Canada
    At this point I'd recommend Lexar 4GB, but if you really want a 8GB then go with Sandisk. Slow write speed but better than slow read speed.
    I'm perfectly happy with my 4GB; On average I carry around 3 games and most of the time 4GB is more than enough.

15. Tortimer
    OP

Sweden
    Hmm, I guess I'll go with 4GB (if possible, since I've already ordered 8GB, have to cancel) and then buy an 8GB when they drop in price. (probably pretty soon since the Extreme III cards are coming.

However, this doesn't mean the debate has to stop here. What would you go for, performance or space?

16. jelbo

Member jelbo Ōkami!

Netherlands
    I'd go for space as I think speed isn't really an issue (I can wait a few secs longer at a loading screen). I'm still using my 2GB MicroSD in an adapter and quitly thinking over my choices. I could either get a cheap 8GB MicroSDHC or an only slightly less cheaper 8GB Sandisk Ultra II MS Pro Duo.

17. Tortimer
    OP

Sweden

Yeah, but I don't want games like GTA, FFVII and GoW to lag. Will i have these issues with the 8GB Ultra II

18. IBNobody

United States
    If you don't have access to your home base PC for days on end, watch a ton of videos, or use your PSP as your main MP3 player, consider larger storage.

If you just play games, consider performance. You only need 4GB. That'll hold 3-4 big CSO's and plenty of little CSO's. You just need to be a little choosy in what games you put on the stick.

I chose performance. I have 2x 4GB sticks, and I consider the 2nd to be overkill.

Keep in mind that I'm a completionist. I play a game until I beat it or I tire of it and move on to something else. Once I stop playing, I will rarely pick it back up again. I don't have multiple games going at once. Because of this, the need to have multiple gaming options at any given time is minimal.

19. deathfisaro

Canada
    Personally, for games - performace (strictly read speed dependent). MP3s and PSP resolution videos don't require fast read speed so I'd go for space.

As for write speed, I can just surf the web while copying few gigs to memory stick so it's not really an issue.

With absolutely subjectivity, 4GB is like the perfect balance between price, performance, and space currently.

The only time I had trouble fitting games in my memory stick was when I wanted Taiko 1 + 2 and DJMAX 1 + 2 all at once. I think I took out DJMAX 1, and never attempted that combination every since.