The sound of a bug

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by GarbageBurger, May 3, 2018.

1. Deigus

Deigus Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2018
    Brazil
    @GarbageBurger, I having the same issue with my brand new N3ds xl, I know that you trade your with a friend, but did you know a solution? @TurdPooCharger can you help me too?

2. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    @Deigus, what does your n3DSXL sound like with headphones?

3. Deigus

Deigus Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2018
    Brazil
    The same popping/crackling happens with headphones, but seems to be lower, it also happens when I edit the Nintendo configuration's menu.

4. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    If your n3DSXL was never hacked, or it doesn't have custom firmware...
    I don't know. Maybe your n3DSXL has a bad audio chip. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

0. Send it back and get another one.​

If your n3DSXL does have custom firmware...
    1. Remove and reinsert the battery to reset RAM memory.
    2. Copy all your stuff on the SD card over to your computer.
      • (Recommend) If have a spare or second SD card, use this one instead.
    3. Reformat it as FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size with Windows File Explorer or guiformat.
    4. Ensure the (empty) card isn't fake or faulty by doing a Full Write + Verify Test using H2testw.
    5. If the card passes, delete the *.h2w test files.
      • If an error occurs, stop the test and replace the non-fixable card. Go back to step 2 or 3.
    6. Build a test custom firmware setup. Don't use anything from your main setup.
    • To make it slightly easier, you can use the CFW starter kit found here.
    • If you have A9LH, step 7B will require additional files.

Your custom firmware should be Luma3DS v9.1, boot9strap v1.3, and GodMode9 v1.7.1 on both your SD card and CTRNAND.

7A. If you have Luma3DS v7.1-9.0 and/or boot9strap v1.0-1.2, use this guide to update:
    -or-
    7B. If you have Luma3DS v7.0.5 or older using arm9loaderhax:

8. Boot the 3DS and hold (Select) to access Luma3DS v9.1 configuration. Use these exact settings.
    • Unless you have certain plugin mods, you should not use ( ) Disable ARM11 exception handlers.
    [​IMG]
    9. Boot to HOME Menu and check if the sound bug is still present. If there's no sound bug, try installing some themes with the 3DS native theme manager and Anemone3DS.​

If the sound bug is still present...

10. Back up all your game saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM.
    11. Backup all your titles (games / DLCs / updates) with GodMode9.

12A. If you made and have a backed up recovery image:
    -or-

12B. If you don't have that SysNAND *.bin image:
    If the sound bug is STILL present despite step 12A/B recovery attempt...

13. Go to step 0. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Nov 9, 2018
  5. Deigus

Deigus Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2018
    Brazil
    Thanks @TurdPooCharger, now I m doing the safe nand restore. Lets see if works.

Just to describe the scenario, I have the latest Luma and b9s. I get the bug when I used a theme of metal gear solid downloaded from the site theme plaza using the anemone. The theme worked fine, but after that the crack noise start happens. And now the smash brothers starting crash sometimes( I don't now if is related, but before the sounds's bug, it's was working fine)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I did the safe nand restore, and unfortunately, continue with the sound bug, I read that the full restore is not recommended, now I don't know what to do

6. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    If you did steps 1 through 12, you're only option lefts left are to (1) reflow your n3DSXL motherboard, (2) get a replacement motherboard, or (3) buy a different 3DS with step 0.

(1) I don't know if your local part of Brazil has a business that specializes in electronic heat reflow; ie a oven not used for cooking or a heat gun. This might fix your current mobo if it's a hardware problem with loosely connected SMD/SMT components.

(2) R$192 total with a shipping date of up to 40 days. I live in Florida, US and something from Shenzhen, CH takes about 3 weeks to get here. You would have to adjust expectations if South America's delivery network isn't as fast.
    (3) Sell your n3DSXL, buy another one, rehack it with NTRboot or Frogminer (for free), and pray this one lasts you longer.