The Sonic movie surpasses Detective Pikachu for most successful video game movie box office opening

snick.jpg

Surpassing expectations in almost every way was the Sonic the Hedgehog movie, which earned a massive $57 million dollars in its opening weekend in North America. That put it just ahead of last year's other critically successful video game-based movie, Detective Pikachu, which opened at a slightly smaller figure of $54.3 million. It looks like the decision to take Sonic's design back to the drawing board definitely benefited the film in the end, as it's currently predicted to amass over $100 million dollars worldwide. And perhaps, with all this success, we might see a sequel to the Sonic movie in the future.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've yet to see it (should be finally out today in italy) but dunno, I feel like everybody be in a practical joke or something, like, with everyone saying that "it's a goode movie". Still, as like I've said, I've yet to seen it, so, can't really say much about it.
Still, I think maybe the reason why everybody be saying it's a good movie it's because everybody was expecting it to be a steaming pile of crap, so, like, expectations were as low as possible?
Ah dunno, just talking outta mah ass right now.

Reactions: IncredulousP

ClickCLK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Idk If it was mentioned already, but in my local cinema they sell figurines based on this movie, and this figurines are from old design. They look really bad. This is in a somewhat distant Siberian town in Russia.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Idk If it was mentioned already, but in my local cinema they sell figurines based on this movie, and this figurines are from old design. They look really bad. This is in a somewhat distant Siberian town in Russia.
Grab a few while they're still available, I predict they will become collector's items.

Reactions: gamesquest1

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just saying, the Spanish Latin dub used a youtuber, the Spain Spanish has Ángel de Gracia, and has a lot of background as a dubbing actor here.
On the other matter, ffs guys, it's a kids movie, what were you expecting? This is one of the best representations of a videogame in a movie we're gonna get, at last for a while.
For sure we got ups and downs, but being in the theather and hearing "that" name screamed at the end of the credits was totally priceless, and they deserved my money just for that.

The script definitely could have been better.

That being said, Jim Carrey has not been so much fun playing a villain since Batman & Robin.

Last edited by raxadian,

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
I just saw this film yesterday. It was rather good, the story and plot was rather generic; although the characters, such as Sonic himself and Eggman all made the movie rather enjoyable. Jim Carrey still kinda carries the movie though. Although it's definitely a movie you can sit through and feel like your 10 dollar ticket was spent well. It's nothing groundbreaking or mind-blowing, just an original story with some decent writing and good art direction (although before the redesign not so much).

D

Deleted User

Is that two successful video game movies in a row? Has the video game movie curse been broken?
Financially successful.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Deserved, all the people who says it’s not good or didn’t deserved are really limited.
Limited? I suppose your English is limited, but your attempt at labelling people "haters" came off rather comedic. xD

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Financially successful.

Limited? I suppose your English is limited, but your attempt at labelling people "haters" came off rather comedic. xD
I didn’t finish my sentence so Butthurts like you won’t report me.

i speak 6 different languages, what about you?

Anyway I have no time to waste with a newbie like you.

ClickCLK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Don't know if it's ok to post links in news comments, but i found pictures of this figurines online. Available here trapeza[dot]ru/goods/165207/

Look at them, they are terrible :D

Reactions: raxadian

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Toys are usually made way before the movie premier. Hence why Transformers The Movie had an Arcee toy despite her not being in the movie, she was going to be but got cut out.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
What are you talking about? Look at this:

Sio9yBt.jpg

Sexxay.​

x0zkHdg.jpg

eRAQcHe.jpg

[Gangsta Paradise intensifies]

Ahhh, what could have been :rolleyes:
I kinda want the full set

but seriously I hope they include the original cut on the Blu-ray or something, no point letting it go to waste and im sure quite a few people would buy it just to see the abomination

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And it just so happens this will be the last sucessful thing that was ever associated with Sonic. In 3 years nintendo will 1 up sega by making an even more successful movie and even better movie lol

D

Deleted User

I didn’t finish my sentence so Butthurts like you won’t report me.

i speak 6 different languages, what about you?

Anyway I have no time to waste with a newbie like you.
"Butthurt"
"Report"

That's funny. You're the one who seems to be both of those things.

Just so you know, I don't bother reporting anyone. And your attempt at putting me down with other attacks like "newbie" are hilarious.

Last edited by ,

luigismentor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that two successful video game movies in a row? Has the video game movie curse been broken?
Well, when Rocky Morton and Annabel Jankel, the directors for the Mario Bros. movie, unknowingly invoked the Rites of Mediocrity during one of their marriage-related squabbles, they had doomed film adapations for video games for no less than 100 years. However, Satoshi Tajiri, unwilling to wait that long, offered up his most sentimental belongings to Ebisu, the Japanese god of luck, in hopes that his divine power could intervene. Unfortunately, undoing the curse by engineering a paradox within it would be no easy task. Since the Rites were invoked by westerners, the live-action Pokémon film Tajiri wants would have to be made primarily by western hands. For that to happen, Hollywood would need to show interest. Perhaps not with adapting the games or the anime, but a spinoff with an ambiguously American setting, maybe?

When Detective Pikachu released, it garnered a profit and widespread approval, severely fracturing the curse. It still remains, but its grip over the industry has noticeably weakened. Already, fans are being given a voice that doesn't fall on deaf ears, and companies are (slowly) becoming aware that the general public can and does bring up valid points from time to time. Any further questions, or can I go back to yelling at things that aren't there?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs