Hardware The side of my Switch (the screen where joycons go) looks like its been broken off partially,

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking at the right side of my Switch and it looks like the plastic has been broken off by something. I haven't dropped the console, I haven't abused or thrown it, I haven't used it as a doorstep and its just been sitting on my Nintendo Switch dock for awhile.

I'm totally confused why all of a sudden the right side of my Switch up on top where you see the odd curve is like cut off and chipped compared to the left side.

Its more of a cosmetic issue then anything else so far that bugs me, has anyone else had a similar problem?

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am you post pictures so we can help you better? But it sounds like the adhesive holding it together either melted from the heat caused by the dock, or the screen somehow broke from the heat.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am you post pictures so we can help you better? But it sounds like the adhesive holding it together either melted from the heat caused by the dock, or the screen somehow broke from the heat.
I can't atm, but I can eventually at some point.
It just looks like its corroded/melted and been banged up (even though the console has never been thrown.)

I will reply in a few days (at most.) and post a screenshot once I do of the left & right side. Idk what its from but it looks pretty bad.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what I will just go ahead and ask if the console can be replaced or repaired (*sigh, rip 3.0.0 FW*) otherwise if I can't I will see what other actions I can take.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what I will just go ahead and ask if the console can be replaced or repaired (*sigh, rip 3.0.0 FW*) otherwise if I can't I will see what other actions I can take.
Not sure if you'll be able to find one. But look for a switch that is for parts or repair on ebay. If you're lucky, you'll be able to swap motherboards or touch screens depending on the level of difficulty

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if you'll be able to find one. But look for a switch that is for parts or repair on ebay. If you're lucky, you'll be able to swap motherboards or touch screens depending on the level of difficulty
I could potentially repair it but then I would break the warranty its self, and I have no exciperence fixing it. Also my warranty covers that type of damage,
Its more of a cosmetic issue for now but if I start having problems like the joycons won't latch on then that may be the time to have it repaired imo.

But for now I will just wait, I have a year away until the warranty is no longer in effect so I have a long enough time to decide if I need a new one or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi: