SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dialexio said:
The iOS scene now contains 50% more drama!
dry.gif
Geohot came from (seemingly) the midst of nowhere. He updated http://www.limera1n.com/ to include the line:
HTML--Who is John Galt?-->
...and linked to an image of iDevices and the limera1n logo. Apparently, this was meant to push Chronic Dev to use geohot's bootrom exploit, not SHAtter.

As a result, Chronic Dev is working on implementing geohot's exploit, which is compatible with devices SHAtter didn't cover ("MC" iPod touch 2G, new bootrom iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 3G). Chronic Dev reiterated that release time (10/10/10, 10:10:10 AM GMT) will not change. The plan has altered a bit though: if they can implement geohot's exploit, they'll use it. If not, they'll use SHAtter.

(P.S.- Geohot's bootrom exploit, like SHAtter, is tethered, but can be untethered with the help of another exploit.)

UPDATE: It appears that geohot may have good intentions for doing this; it seems geohot thinks Apple knows about his exploit.

Thought I'd post this:

QUOTE said:
John Galt is the mysterious hero lurking in the background in Ayn Rand's infamous novel, Atlas Shrugged. He is the industrialist who went into hiding and led a strike of producers fed up with the physical and moral encroachment from a government of moral supremacists who rationalized theft with childish notions of fairness but no conception of the actual production of wealth.

Went into hiding etc.: Seems GeoHot is likening himself to this character from the book. Did GeoHot reveal his exploit to Chronic Dev Team then, if he expected them to implement it? And I thought it was untethered from the way he talked about it at various times...Oh well.

EDIT: Something else kinda interesting about this Galt fellow:

The use of John Galt as a symbol in the context of political or social protest has taken root in some places. The phrase "going John Galt" or simply "going Galt" has been used to refer to productive members of society cutting back on work in response to the projected increase in U.S. marginal tax rates for those making over $250,000, limits on deductions for higher earners, and the use of tax revenues for causes they regard as immoral.

game95guy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
mysigistoobig.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
The iOS scene now contains 50% more drama!
dry.gif
Geohot came from (seemingly) the midst of nowhere. He updated http://www.limera1n.com/ to include the line:
HTML--Who is John Galt?-->
...and linked to an image of iDevices and the limera1n logo. Apparently, this was meant to push Chronic Dev to use geohot's bootrom exploit, not SHAtter.

As a result, Chronic Dev is working on implementing geohot's exploit, which is compatible with devices SHAtter didn't cover ("MC" iPod touch 2G, new bootrom iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 3G). Chronic Dev reiterated that release time (10/10/10, 10:10:10 AM GMT) will not change. The plan has altered a bit though: if they can implement geohot's exploit, they'll use it. If not, they'll use SHAtter.

(P.S.- Geohot's bootrom exploit, like SHAtter, is tethered, but can be untethered with the help of another exploit.)

UPDATE: It appears that geohot may have good intentions for doing this; it seems geohot thinks Apple knows about his exploit.
I sure as hell hope that they can use geohot's exploit because i want my pwnd4life MC ipod

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Needs-moar-drama.jpg

(Not really. But I thought it'd be nice to have a smile during these dark times.
tongue.gif
)

limera1n made a brief appearance, but was yanked nearly as quickly as it went up. It uses comex's untethered exploit (against his wishes), and geohot himself called it "a buggy piece of shit." Chronic Dev became furious (understandably), and so it was yanked.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dialexio said:
*snip*
(Not really. But I thought it'd be nice to have a smile during these dark times.
tongue.gif
)

limera1n made a brief appearance, but was yanked nearly as quickly as it went up. It uses comex's untethered exploit (against his wishes), and geohot himself called it "a buggy piece of shit." Chronic Dev became furious (understandably), and so it was yanked.
It appears to be back (at least for me). I can download it just fine from limera1n.com

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.