The Sega Saturn DRM has been cracked after twenty years

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by endoverend, Jul 12, 2016.

1. endoverend
    OP

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    ss+(2016-07-11+at+10.48.56).jpg
    After twenty long years of suffering caused by the Sega Saturn's infamous hardware-based DRM, James Laird-Wah, a computer engineer known as "Dr Abrasive", has finally cracked the twenty year-old console. This DRM was so unique due to its mechanic that required a special groove to be present in all its CDs, requiring a rare modchip for any kind of homebrew. This solution involves a USB emulation of the disc drive.

This is not a public release as of yet, but this represents major progress for the Saturn homebrew community as hardware testing will now be much more accessible. Post your thoughts below!

:arrow:Interview with Dr Abrasive:

2. WooHyun

WooHyun GBAtemp Regular

Jul 4, 2015
    So does this help anything in emulator development?

3. iAqua

iAqua feel the... envy.

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    Am I the only one who has never heard of this console?

Last edited by iAqua, Jul 12, 2016
  4. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    Saturn: 20 years for crack. Unique DRM.
    Dreamcast: Cracked instantly. Literally no DRM whatsoever.

...Well then!

5. endoverend
    OP

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Quite possibly, and while it's too early to say since there is no release, having better control over the hardware is likely to bring more progress on that front as well as homebrew.

WooHyun, Tomato Hentai and I pwned U! like this.
  6. almmiron

almmiron GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2012
    Brazil
    Since cartridge slot have advanced access to motherboard, iso loader by a possible flashcard perhaps is more close to be created? Hope so... :)

DaFixer likes this.
  7. MeteK

MeteK GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    France
    Gret news for Saturn's lovers like me :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Not by cartridge slot, but by VCD card slot !

almmiron likes this.
  8. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    He says in the video that his research helped accurate emulation quite a bit, due to there being a bunch of unknowns that they had to estimate.
    That's basically what he has already, through the VCD slot. Probably a few board revisions and software tweaks away from anything resembling a marketable product though. Maybe check back in a year or so, if he keeps working at it, should be much closer to a release then, if not before.
    The Dreamcast DID have protection, it was just very easily bypassed.
    http://wololo.net/2012/11/12/sega-dreamcast-how-its-security-works-and-how-it-was-hacked/ This sums it up pretty well.

WooHyun, zfreeman and almmiron like this.
  9. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    What makes Dreamcast interesting is that only applies to copies. You must modify the console to automatically run a legit imported GD-ROM in the same manner. (no boot disc, swap trick, or anything)

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    What are you guys on about? The Saturn's AP protection was broken years ago, we just lacked a writer capable of reproducing the non-digital protection strip (Rings of Saturn, one of which is wobbly data while the other is literally a logo burned into the surface) on the disc. The modchips aren't "rare" and they're comparatively simple to replicate, the ring data is available, the mechanism is well-known and relatively understood, homebrew is plentiful and even without a hardware solution you could still disc swap using any original Saturn disc to bypass checks - the AP is a complete non-issue in 99% of the games, the latter 1% being games with custom AP and random ToC/loading checks in-gameplay, and even those can be mitigated. The one and only benefit here is ODDE loading, which is indeed an amazing feat as lasers all die eventually and mechanical/optical drives should be replaced as soon as possible, but to say that it's a groundbreaking development is a bit of a stretch.

Minox, Azel, Elrinth and 8 others like this.
  11. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    This wasn't a console that was well produced/known about/did well with sales afaik. I probably would be asking the same thing if I didn't have one just laying around...

12. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Woah, this is pretty groundbreaking. This will totally help us homebrew consoles 20 years from now.

w/e

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Philistine. The Saturn's great, it could easily run laps around its competition in many aspects and its design was far ahead of its time. It's fascinating to this day and the way consoles are designed today, with multi-cpu, multi-gpu setups, is not unlike the Saturn's design. My issue with this breakthrough isn't so much that it's useless, it's the fact that it wasn't made earlier because nobody cared due to having plenty of alternatives. Making an ODDE would've required decapping the SH2 processor where the disc controller was to see what's cooking in the interface, and with cheap modchips and even cheaper swap tricks nobody wanted to go the extra mile.

14. TVL

TVL #|

Feb 17, 2004
    World -1
    An ODDE for the Saturn has been in existence for quite some time.

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Back when I was dicking around with my Model 1 they did not and it's been at least 2-3 years since I looked into them, but you're right - they're called Rhea and Phoebe (depending on the pin count) and yes, they have been around since 2015, so nothing new is being created here.

16. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Nice achievement and props to the guy who cracked it. However, since owning a Rhea and Phoebe ODE, I don't see much use of this now using stock drives.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  17. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    do you know what suffering is? lol... some people... exaggerating is not the same as reporting.

Azel and Nightwish like this.
  18. StriderVM

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    I thought that was Dreamcast's protection has been bypassed and not cracked? Same case with the PS1?

Subtle Demise likes this.
  19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It was bypassed by using a different kind of medium (mil-CD rather than GD-ROM), cracking it would have no benefit as 1GB CD-R's don't exist, so a GD-ROM can't be "copied". We know what we know about the DC because of the Katana SDK and machines that float around.

20. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    only 20 years too late